Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things You Do Outside of Your Regular Work...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things You Do Outside of Your Regular Work...

Originally posted by henneca View Post
    Yes, that is the Week 3 Wilton class. I'm taking it at the Joann at North Olmsted. Didn't know about the Joann in Avon. I am also taking the next level 2 classes. So, as it stands now, I'll be in class until May. Then, come May is the "Tall Cakes" class. VERY interesting indeed.
    Not at Joanne's Fabric, but at the Avon Michael's.

She's anxious to take the fondant and ribbon classes. One of her best friends' mother is a pro decorator, and was on the Ultimate CakeOff last year. Her daughter and mine have fiddled with decorating for a couple of years. My daughter decorated a cake for the Art of the Cake competition at Polaris in January and won her age group!

I've wandered through you guy's Christmas feast before, so I've probably sampled one of your deserts. This past Christmas was the first time in 30 years that I didn't make my special soured cream coffee cake for Engineering's holiday feast.

In answer to your original question, in my spare time I am an amateur photographer, do some bike riding and plan to do all my local errands on my utility bike I built. I still need to fix my MGA, and I ride my scooters everywhere I don't bike. Same daughter runs cross-country and track, as well as swims competitively in the summer, so that keeps us occupied, too.
    Steve
    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Smoke Cigars and Drink Dago Red wine.

Comment

Everything I do now is away from work--fishing, hunting, doing stained glass.
        Attached Files

Comment

Pipestone...BEAUTIFUL stained glass. I'm not that talented (or patient). Did you make them by soldering the metal together?

JC...VERY SWEET playing! Excellent way to spend your time.

Rick...I'll bake for you guys whenever you're here! So, Elyria trip soon?

smorris...Yes, you probably have enjoyed the yummies I've made. It's good to know there's still a Michael's close by. The one in Elyria closed. The Joann isn't very big here and doesn't carry much of what I use. I'll have to check that one out. I'm excited for the upcoming classes. The next class will only have 1 cake made, but of course, need to bake to practice!

Thanks for all the interesting projects people do outside of their jobs. Keep posting!

Cathy

Learnat least one NEWtopic daily!

Comment

Pipestone,

Terrific glass, and I really like the "work" that you've posted... most impressive!

For the last thirty-five years we've worked and lived here in the shadow of "Corning" glass. Lots of artistic stuff, including a few who do stained-glass art. While the "Stueben" art gets most of the artistic focus, the stain-glass arts always catch my eye.

My daughter-in-law took some stained-glass classes when they lived in Oneonta, NY and she made the stained-glass inserts for their new kitchen at the time. Her's were more in the style of fitting with "Stickley" and "Frank Lloyd Wright". While quite talented, she looses interest quickly and moves on to other endeavors. I was delighted though to see how she did the work and I've often thought it would be well worth taking up the hobby, once we're through working on the Binghamton house.

So, thanks for showing us your work... it's inspiriring!

CWS

Comment

Henneca--Yes, they are made with the copper foil and solder method.

CWS--It is never too late. My daughters gave me a starter kit for my birthday about 4 years ago and I started in. The kit included a beginners book and I went from there. I picked up a couple of good deals on Craigslist on some tools and glass--makes it more affordable.

Comment

Everyone should nominate this thread as it is a breath of fresh air to enjoying time after work life, something that involves hobbies and enjoyment outside our everyday work life.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  I have been taking Water Technology classes. This semester I have three advance classes; Advanced Water Math, Advanced Water Chemistry and Advanced Water Distribution. After this I will have a two semesters of Water Distribution and two semesters of Waste Water Management.

Mark
                  I'm envious, I am in the middle of Educational Psychology, Human Growth and Development and Essentials of Career Technical Education
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                    Everyone should nominate this thread as it is a breath of fresh air to enjoying time after work life, something that involves hobbies and enjoyment outside our everyday work life.
                    I wish I had that kind of time. Though the military is a double edged sword in this matter. Just last week I was out on vehicle training, while true I was working, but it was an opportunity to get stick time on numerous "tonka" toys I usually never play with like excavators or bucket loaders.

As I type this, I'm taking an online course for self-aid and buddy care. Basically it's First Aid in the event of an accident or attack. While the scenes are graphic, it is something we all might run into, so the whole seminar does have practical applications. Things I do for God and Country.

Edit:

Finally finished that damned course. at 6 pm. Man it was a long one.
                    Last edited by tailgunner; 02-27-2011, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I make videos of possums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcn-2tbQB9Q
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

In a past life, I did lots of stuff with Desktop Publishing. From this position, I learned much of what I know today with regard to graphic design. I am not a graphic designer, creating images from scratch, but I love to take photos, images, etc. and make them into other things.

In my off time, I also like to play with my computer, doing computer-aided paper crafts, the cards, recipe cards, etc. I also make coloring books. I've gone to craft shows to sell them, but I also make them and give them as gifts. What a great way to have a gift for someone to make it with your hands (and yes the computer and print help!).

I'm really enjoying seeing what other people do outside of the jobs. It's nice to know it's not all about the job.

Also, I've spent the last 5 years running the Parent-Teacher Organization at my daughter's school. Yes, this could be considered a job. But, I consider it fun work to help the kids where over 80% of them qualified for free and reduced lunch because of their families. I help out any way I can.

Cathy

Learnat least one NEWtopic daily!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                          Everything I do now is away from work--fishing, hunting, doing stained glass.
                          Those are very well done I like the second one.

Comment

I shut off the phone and cruise!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                              I shut off the phone and cruise!
                              nice where those your feet
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

That was the wife and one of her girl friends. But I am do for a pedi...
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X