Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Libya: An opportunity for al Qaeda?

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post

Have you ever met or worked with anyone from Egypt or Pakistan or Iran? I would guess from your comments that you haven't.
    I was stationed in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and had a 3 day stop in Egypt...kind of a silly assumption don't you think?

Since you're taking guesses, do you actually know what it's like to run in fear for your life in a foreign Muslim country? Do you know what it's like getting fed food from people who have "hate" in their eyes as they take a spoon full of crap, and put it on your plate? Do you know what's it's like hearing explosions around your compound when you're hundreds of miles away from the war zone, because people hate your way of life? Do you know what it's like sleeping with one eye open knowing full well you're depending on Muslim and American people for your safety? Do you know what's it's like getting a list of rules for that country and being told you MUST adhere to them? Do you know what's it's like not being able to wear your uniform because of fear of being killed in a Muslim country?

I'm not an authority on Muslim people, but I lived in their countries and kind of have an idea..wouldn't you think?
    Last edited by Flux; 02-27-2011, 09:47 PM.

Comment

You forgotten "Do you know what it's like knowing that the Saudi royal families are the worst offenders to their own laws, yet I have to abide by them?"

Man, those RMS boys had a good gig in there at PSAB.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
        You forgotten "Do you know what it's like knowing that the Saudi royal families are the worst offenders to their own laws, yet I have to abide by them?"

Man, those RMS boys had a good gig in there at PSAB.
        When we were about to land in Bahrain we were handed a list of rules for the country. The officer who gave it to us scared the bejesus out of us, and warned us against breaking any of their laws.

A few things I remember were..

- Caught in public drunk was 40 lashes with a chain
        - Caught stealing once, they take your finger.
        - Second offense stealing they take your hand.
        - Caught looking at a woman without her Burkha on you got caned.

I remember the plane stopping at the end of the runway, and I was thinking to myself.."wtf..why are we not pulling up to the gate". We sat there for about 20 minutes and we all were nervous as hell. Then this long bus was coming towards us and we were told we were not allowed to pull up to the gate in fear of terrorists. We get off the plane, and the bus took us to the airport, and we had to enter through the basement where the bags get dropped off. We already had our bags, and we had to literally run through the airport, and out a back door where another bus was waiting for us.

Bahrain is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever seen, but it stunk so darn bad.

Also on our ride to the compound, we passed many embassies that were either riddled with bullet holes or bombed out.

It was such a surreal moment in my life, and I'll never forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          When we were about to land in Bahrain we were handed a list of rules for the country. The officer who gave it to us scared the bejesus out of us, and warned us against breaking any of their laws.

A few things I remember were..

- Caught in public drunk was 40 lashes with a chain
          - Caught stealing once, they take your finger.
          - Second offense stealing they take your hand.
          - Caught looking at a woman without her Burkha on you got caned.

I remember the plane stopping at the end of the runway, and I was thinking to myself.."wtf..why are we not pulling up to the gate". We sat there for about 20 minutes and we all were nervous as hell. Then this long bus was coming towards us and we were told we were not allowed to pull up to the gate in fear of terrorists. We get off the plane, and the bus took us to the airport, and we had to enter through the basement where the bags get dropped off. We already had our bags, and we had to literally run through the airport, and out a back door where another bus was waiting for us.

Bahrain is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever seen, but it stunk so darn bad.

Also on our ride to the compound, we passed many embassies that were either riddled with bullet holes or bombed out.

It was such a surreal moment in my life, and I'll never forget it.
          Don't they have Man Love Thursday?

J.C.

Comment

I was stationed in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and had a 3 day stop in Egypt...kind of a silly assumption don't you think?

Since you're taking guesses, do you actually know what it's like to run in fear for your life in a foreign Muslim country? Do you know what it's like getting fed food from people who have "hate" in their eyes as they take a spoon full of crap, and put it on your plate? Do you know what's it's like hearing explosions around your compound when you're hundreds of miles away from the war zone, because people hate your way of life? Do you know what it's like sleeping with one eye open knowing full well you're depending on Muslim and American people for your safety? Do you know what's it's like getting a list of rules for that country and being told you MUST adhere to them? Do you know what's it's like not being able to wear your uniform because of fear of being killed in a Muslim country?

I'm not an authority on Muslim people, but I lived in their countries and kind of have an idea..wouldn't you think?
            So let me get this straight. You were a member of the US military, an unwelcome occupation force in the middle east, and it surprises you that you weren't loved by the residents? Who would have guessed! You were expecting what, a silk pillow?

I'm just "guessing", but ever stop to think that maybe if we didn't invade sovereign Arab countries for fundamentally dishonest reasons, destroy the infrastructure, kill tens of thousands of their citizens and disrupt their world for periods of decades, the Arab world might have a little better feeling about the US? I don't know, just another wild *ss guess. I'm sure that if the tables were turned and they came over here and destroyed Nevada, then put bases in California, we would just treat them wonderfully. Oh wait a minute... maybe not... didn't we collect up and detain persons of Japanese lineage during WWII? Irrespective of citizenship (over 60% were US Citizens)? Well, that doesn't count, I "guess".

Just wondering, do you also hate the Vietnamese? After all, they were all VC, weren't they? Musta been, they all look the same. How about Koreans? Germans? Japanese? Russians? Every one of these nations had imperialist ambitions and every one tried to kill US military. Maybe we shoulda also just wiped them out when we had the chance.

You can think whatever you like. No, I was never at war in the middle east. My son in law did two tours. Thankfully he didn't bring home the hate.

Comment

So let me get this straight. You were a member of the US military, an unwelcome occupation force in the middle east, and it surprises you that you weren't loved by the residents? Who would have guessed! You were expecting what, a silk pillow?

I'm just "guessing", but ever stop to think that maybe if we didn't invade sovereign Arab countries for fundamentally dishonest reasons, destroy the infrastructure, kill tens of thousands of their citizens and disrupt their world for periods of decades, the Arab world might have a little better feeling about the US? I don't know, just another wild *ss guess. I'm sure that if the tables were turned and they came over here and destroyed Nevada, then put bases in California, we would just treat them wonderfully. Oh wait a minute... maybe not... didn't we collect up and detain persons of Japanese lineage during WWII? Irrespective of citizenship (over 60% were US Citizens)? Well, that doesn't count, I "guess".

Just wondering, do you also hate the Vietnamese? After all, they were all VC, weren't they? Musta been, they all look the same. How about Koreans? Germans? Japanese? Russians? Every one of these nations had imperialist ambitions and every one tried to kill US military. Maybe we shoulda also just wiped them out when we had the chance.

You can think whatever you like. No, I was never at war in the middle east. My son in law did two tours. Thankfully he didn't bring home the hate.
              Just don't appreciate you talking for me is all. You looked incredibly stupid for assuming I've never been in an Arab country, and I called you on it.

Now you're rambling on once again and "assuming" my positions on certain issues, when I'm fully capable of telling you my position. Didn't you learn your lesson the first time?

Now you're flip flopping and assuming because I was in the Military that's why the people were not friendly. Again...you don't have the first clue buddy unless you were there and know what these people were like.

I applaud your "son-in-law" for doing 2 tours, but you personally shouldn't talk about things you have no experience with. Let's not turn this into a Military bashing or why our troops are there in the first place. All you will do is piss me off and any other Veteran of this forum. A threat of a ban wouldn't stop me from telling you what I think of you either, so I suggest you zip it!

Comment

i haven`t read so much crap for a long time if the US and its allies had stayed out of the middle east we wouldn`t be in the mess we are in now your cia through out an ellected governmnt in Iran in the 1950 for OIL and installed a pupput to rule and I wonder how you would feel if that happened to you in the US
                and just another thing we are paying $1.45 per Litre in Aus ($5.80gal) so stop bitching and stop thinking of just yourselves.

Tony

Comment

Just don't appreciate you talking for me is all. You looked incredibly stupid for assuming I've never been in an Arab country, and I called you on it.

Now you're rambling on once again and "assuming" my positions on certain issues, when I'm fully capable of telling you my position. Didn't you learn your lesson the first time?

Now you're flip flopping and assuming because I was in the Military that's why the people were not friendly. Again...you don't have the first clue buddy unless you were there and know what these people were like.

I applaud your "son-in-law" for doing 2 tours, but you personally shouldn't talk about things you have no experience with. Let's not turn this into a Military bashing or why our troops are there in the first place. All you will do is piss me off and any other Veteran of this forum. A threat of a ban wouldn't stop me from telling you what I think of you either, so I suggest you zip it!
                  I'm not flip flopping or assuming anything. You said, "As far as I'm concerned, we should of leveled it and turned it into a waste dump years ago."

You apparently can't read, either. I never said that you hadn't been in an Arab country. I said that I didn't think you had met or worked with anyone, because you clearly have no understanding that they are just like everyone else. I have met and worked with people from the middle east... many of them over many years. I KNOW for a fact that they are no damn different from the rest of us. They are just as honorable, hard-workling and family oriented as anyone else. It is offensive to suggest that they should be "leveled".

You're suggesting genocide. Don't hide behind your military experience to make that sound somehow valid. And you have the audacity to talk about dishonoring vets? You apparently are incapable of distinguishing between the radical element, which is undeniably present, and the bulk of the population. Somehow you think that because you were there as a member of the military, your sorry perspective is valid? It's not. It's hateful and bigoted.

I will never ever bash the Military, don't even go there. That's not the same thing as holding the opinion that the suits in DC were justified or correct in engaging the military in the middle east. Again, you show that you (not the military) are incapable of getting the point. Your logic appears to be that one would have to have been in the military deployed to the middle east to disagree with your absurd assertion that we should have leveled the middle east.

Tell you what, "buddy", you think whatever sad and miserable little thoughts you want.

Comment

I'm not flip flopping or assuming anything. You said, "As far as I'm concerned, we should of leveled it and turned it into a waste dump years ago."

You apparently can't read, either. I never said that you hadn't been in an Arab country. I said that I didn't think you had met or worked with anyone, because you clearly have no understanding that they are just like everyone else. I have met and worked with people from the middle east... many of them over many years. I KNOW for a fact that they are no damn different from the rest of us. They are just as honorable, hard-workling and family oriented as anyone else. It is offensive to suggest that they should be "leveled".

You're suggesting genocide. Don't hide behind your military experience to make that sound somehow valid. And you have the audacity to talk about dishonoring vets? You apparently are incapable of distinguishing between the radical element, which is undeniably present, and the bulk of the population. Somehow you think that because you were there as a member of the military, your sorry perspective is valid? It's not. It's hateful and bigoted.

I will never ever bash the Military, don't even go there. That's not the same thing as holding the opinion that the suits in DC were justified or correct in engaging the military in the middle east. Again, you show that you (not the military) are incapable of getting the point. Your logic appears to be that one would have to have been in the military deployed to the middle east to disagree with your absurd assertion that we should have leveled the middle east.

Tell you what, "buddy", you think whatever sad and miserable little thoughts you want.
                    Thanks Ridgid for having an ignore feature.

Comment

The people who haven't been there will never understand.

Comment

Working...
                      X