X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billiards/Pool

Anyone else play Billiards? I started playing when I was about 4 years old by pulling a chair around the table. My favorite game is 9-ball.....fast and a real money maker. I've played in tournaments from Tampa,Fl.-Las Vegas,NV.
    So who else plays?

Re: Billiards/Pool

I use to play a lot when i was 16/17.
    Actually lived in the lounge for awhile. Closed the doors at Midnight and let the fun begin.

Open bar and all the pickled eggs you can eat. Not such a good thing for a 17ish year old
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
      I use to play a lot when i was 16/17.
      Actually lived in the lounge for awhile. Closed the doors at Midnight and let the fun begin.

Open bar and all the pickled eggs you can eat. Not such a good thing for a 17ish year old
      I played in a neighborhood bar quite often. The owner was struggling and I usualy played a few $ in the coin table and bought cokes and chips.....no one ever in there during the day except a few old retired guys from the neighborhood. I was around 12-13 years old then.....at 5:00pm I had to leave and I was not allowed to sit at the bar.

We had a pool table at home but I never passed a chance to play on a different table and have the old guys teach me how to gamble and make games.

I use to play an NBA player in Mississippi.....during the off season he would go home to MS. and you could find him at the billiards club as that was about all there was to do in that little town. He liked to play 6-ball on a 6 x 12 snooker table. He was about 6'9" tall and I'm 6' so he had a huge advantage in height and he had a competitive spirit as you can imagine being a professional athlete and best of all he had plenty of money and didn't mind losing 3-400 before he quit. He was good for 6-800 a weekend back in the early 90's and smiled the whole time he was handing the money over. We usually played for 25 a game...peanuts for him. He was good and won games but over a 4 hr period he would be several hundred $ looser.

Comment

3 ball is a friendly game that can make ya some money too. Many people can play in a bar setting. Everyone puts in the ante..say 5.00 and you get 3 balls in a triangle with the lead ball being on the spot. The player breaks and that counts as one shot....then that same player keeps shooting and the object is to make all three balls in the minimum amount of shots. The player who has the lowest number wins the pot. Everyone gets a chance that paid the ante(entry fee) of 5.00 or whatever you all decide on. If a tie between two players...the game rolls over and everyone has to ante up again and the money gows and grows until theres a winner.

Comment

I grew up playing 9-ball and Golf on a snooker table. I took a tournament team to a national win in a 9-ball tournament in Reno Nevada a few years ago. My brother also plays and made a living out of playing 9-ball for many years. Life in the smokey pool halls with hustlers, cons and regular Joes. My father taught my brother and I to play 8-ball on a bar table while he sat at the bar and drank beer. Sometimes we would only had one quarter so we had to catch the balls before they went in the pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
            I grew up playing 9-ball and Golf on a snooker table. I took a tournament team to a national win in a 9-ball tournament in Reno Nevada a few years ago. My brother also plays and made a living out of playing 9-ball for many years. Life in the smokey pool halls with hustlers, cons and regular Joes. My father taught my brother and I to play 8-ball on a bar table while he sat at the bar and drank beer. Sometimes we would only had one quarter so we had to catch the balls before they went in the pocket.
            You learn so much about people when your playing pool on that level. I think playing the game has helped me be able to control people and situations. You can use that in a good and bad way. Women dig it too

Comment

I used to play a bit back in mid-60's when I was in my very early 20's. So long ago! I'm not much of a bar person, even back then. Problem is beer goes straight to my head and even today a couple of beers and I'm "buzzed".

But a friend of mine had just come back from a tour in the Army (he went in the day after highschool graduation). So he loved to hit the bars and shoot pool (we played for beer, not money). So I'd be good for a couple of games and he'd play the rest while I kept our girlfriends company.

We'd play the other bar patrons and I played a fair game and would win often, but Joe was pretty good and he'd spend most of the evening meeting challengers.

CWS

Comment

I first started playing when I was working for GM Truck and Coach in Pontiac, Mich. I started going to this little bar that had three pool tables after work. I started playing this young guy who was a hustler. After handing him a dollar per game for the three months I lasted at GM, he told me to go find my own sucker that we were bumping heads too much for him to waste his time. From then on, I played in a lot of bars and usually played and drank for free.

Now I have a 4X8 in my pool house and play a little every day.

I also love three ball and nine ball.
                Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I worked at a pool hall and played tons and I was and am still terrible. I've been given 90 balls to a 100 in straight pool and still lost. a guy could give me the 1 through 8 and 4 games in a race to 5 and i could still loose. Oh well. I don't miss the coke heads thats for sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X