Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gasoline Prices

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    Andy, I won't get into all that other stuff again we've expressed our opinions and simply disagree on some issues. I'm kind of shocked at this point to think we are in competition with communist china. We depend on them for most of our consumer goods and loans to run our government. Our society is dead compared to theirs and I thought we agreed that our government will not take the appropriate action to save us. Competition to me suggests there is a chance either party could win. We are not step up to win anything. Today I paid $3.74 a gallon in CT, things are not looking good. In NYC thousands of teachers are about to be fired, all around the country folks are losing their jobs. Where is the miracle that will change any of this nightmare?
    Yes, we have agreed that the Gov't will certainly not save us. But we should discuss what this means. There are several scenarios that might play out. None of them are good, they range from severe economic crisis to complete monetary system collapse.

But we aren't all going to be dead. The United States will survive. There are many, many kilotons of reasons for this, if you get my drift. We will restructure the currency, there will be a major decline in the standard of living, and it will not be happy times. We're living on borrowed time right now since we have little industrial capacity left. The only thing that is saving our bacon is global reserve currency status, and that is coming under attack. I doubt if we can maintain it for another 5 years, 10 at the outside. In any case, we will restructure our currency (in the course of history, this happens frequently) and get on with picking up the pieces.

The issue is, what will we have going for us in the inevitable new world order (crap I hate that term)? We obviously won't have much industrial capacity. We will have substantial agricultural capability, but rely on energy for distribution. We will have a substantially educated workforce and remain technically strong. But we will have little capital with which to build. The country will rely on foreign investment, and it will happen because let's face it, we are still damn good at technology and will continue to be for quite some time. Although we are already not the only game in town like we used to be. But the money wil come. Our industry will be owned by foreign interests.

If we are at that point still dependent on foreign oil, we are screwed. Right now, understand that the reason we can get away with printing money is because the dollar is the reserve currency. If in the future the reserve currency is the Chinese yuan, we will have to get yuan in order to buy oil. How do we do that since we manufacture little and they manufacture a lot? Getting those yuan won't be cheap or easy, and our Chinese friends are unlikely to look kindly on our plight.

THis means that the US will have a hell of a time digging its way out of the hole. We will have farmland, but the distribution will be costly. We will have smart people, but no capital. And we won't have industrial capacity. Recall that industrial capacity - not money from the Gov't - was what got us out of the Great Depression. How are we getting out of this one?

The single most important commodity in an industrial society is energy. If we don't have it, we will quite simply be unable to bootstrap ourselves back into position to have any sort of reasonable standard of living. Or should we say, our children won't have much of a standard of living.

It's a very sad scenario. But it's played out many, many times in history, mighty empires, thought to be invincible, have crumbled. They don't disappear from the face of the earth, but not many re-establish themselves as world leaders. No one takes Rome, Spain or England too seriously these days. All we can do is position ourselves as best we can so that future generations will have something going for them. We owe our children and grandchildren some good choices... we've certainly made plenty of poor ones.
    Last edited by Andy_M; 03-03-2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Andy, that was a thorough post and I agree. The USA will not cease to exist and we will not all die, life will go on, but what kind of life is unknown. I was just thinking today about our vast country and diverse population. The concentrations of people in the cities and their dependance on others for food, housing, their very existence. Then there's all the farmland, livestock, crops and the hard working self sufficient folks who make all that happen.

However this all plays out is yet to be seen, but we do have the resources, and we do have smart, hardworking folks who will not standby helplessly. I wish the necessary changes would take place before serious disruptions and suffering, but it does not appear that will happen. Maybe the masses need a good wake up call, a good shake up to their good little consumer/zombie existence. They will have to put down the game controls, laptops, ipod/ipads, cell phones and turn off the emergency broadcast tv screens. Life might even become precious for some.

Comment

Americans are a glutton of waste in every shape and form in what we justify as deserved. We deserve a round of hard knocks to put into perspective how wasteful we are.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
          Americans are a glutton of waste in every shape and form in what we justify as deserved. We deserve a round of hard knocks to put into perspective how wasteful we are.
          I lived through a tremendous transition towards waste and I just shake my head in disbelief. Here I go sounding like an old man, but when I was a kid there was one tv in the house it was black and white and reception was free. We had one telephone line with one phone on the kitchen wall, and long distance calls were a special event. We drank water from the tap, a garden hose, or open fire hydrant.

We are wasteful, spoiled and impatient. We want our every desire instantly satisfied, and our needs increase with every successful advertising campaign.We can abuse our bodies and still extend our lives with costly procedures and medications.

We have lost our way, our focus, our respect for life, one another and nature. We are over fed and under nourished.

Comment

I haven't read all of the posts but diesel is $3.98 per gallon here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon.Time to raise my prices again.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
              I haven't read all of the posts but diesel is $3.98 per gallon here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon.Time to raise my prices again.
              Just did my first ever fuel charge today. Were at $3.50 per gallon of gas
              Diesel $3.89 per gallon
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Working...
              X