X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasoline Prices

I know some folks want the price to reach $10 a gallon but for the rest of us these price increases take a toll. Here in CT the price for regular was up four cents in one day to $3.74 a gallon. I'm retired so I can cut back on my driving, but I feel sorry for the folks who have to commute, or do other necessary driving. I have a feeling the price will reach $5 by summer time. Folks will probably cut back on vacation driving, and going out for dinner which will impact other industries and jobs.

Higher prices at the pump result in greater profits for big oil and less consumer spending in other areas. This can't be good for the economy.

Re: Gasoline Prices

As it has been made perfectly clear many time in the past that the law of supply and demand does not come into play where gasoline prices are concerned what would you have us do? Anytime consumer spending is curtailed the economy suffers and that has little to do with anyone's profits except lower them. BTW, profit is not a dirty word and more profit can turn into more jobs.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

It's never been made perfectly clear that supply and demand doesn't apply to gas prices... it's only been an opinion. Supply and demand always applies. Even if you think price fixing is happening, supply and demand will have an influence. It's also a fallacy that people can't reduce their gasoline use. Sure, of course there are is a segment that cannot, such as someone that has to get his work truck to the job site. Yes these folks will see their profit line take a hit as prices rise. But on the large scale of course gasoline use can, will, and has in the past declined as a function of price and put downward pressure on prices. Some think that the summer price rise is some sort of oil company conspiracy but what it is really, is just supply and demand causing prices to rise because of higher demand as people drive more in good weather.

It even extends to other industries. SUV and truck sales always plummet when gas prices rise, and recover when they dip. People trading in their SUV for Honda Civics are a reduction in demand in response to price increase... that's supply and demand.

Price of oil on the commodity exchanges are highly sensitive to supply and demand. Why do you suppose oil has spiked up since we saw unrest in the middle east? It's because it threatens supply. We don't buy from Libya but others do, and so if Libya lessens or stops production the world supply decreases and prices will go up. Sure the Saudis say they will increase production, but do we expect them to deplete their reserves at a higher rate and not charge more per barrel? I don't think so, do you?

OPEC well knows the reality of supply and demand. If it didn't apply, fuel would already be $10 a gallon. OPEC has to keep gas prices low enough so that public interest in alternative energy will remain low. It's a strategy that's worked for 40 years.

I am one of those that hope gasoline prices will rise. I feel for those that will suffer, I truly do. But the greater good will be better served by high gas prices spurring the development of alternate fuels. Low prices encourage the "kick the can down the road" approach that is responsible for the sad fact that since the oil crises of the 1970s absolutely nothing has been done to reverse our ever-increasing dependence on foreign oil imports. That that has been very detrimental to the best interests of the United States on several fronts. Once again, I don't deny the pain it will cause... but better to take our medicine now than to keep getting the heroine-like injections of cheap oil until our economy is so decimated that we will be unable to respond and fix the problem at all. It's like the old Fram filter commercial... "you can pay me now, or you can pay me later".
      Last edited by Andy_M; 03-02-2011, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Fact is theres a manipulation of the current gas and oil prices by the oil companys themselves. Why do you think they sent out retired Shell Oil co. exec to promote the idea months ago . It was to give rise to the speculation that it would happen. Has nothing to do with the current pricing of oil as there is currently more oil than demand. Those who will I'm sure debunk this theory have no intimate knowledge of the oil industry and its manipulation. I do as a son of a major oil co exec.. The saber rattlin in Libya and other countrys is jusy more fuel for their fodder IMO and while I would love to see alternative energys sources being developed we are a nation of drivers and until the car manufactuers can come up with an alternative(a viable one) we are stuck with gasoline. This goes way back to before even Bush Sr. when the refinerys owned by major oil compamies had to reduce emissions standards to meet EPA spec. Rather than retrofit to meet the specs they simply shut facilitys down and let them rust to death. Now we are stuck with low refining capacity + plenty of oil. This leads to higher fuel cost and profiteering by the oil industry. Don't get you hope up unless our gov't gets into the oil refinery biz this is how its gonna play out for a while. I'd suggest if you are a 2 car family make sure 1 get really good mileage. Sadly a large percentage of americans will suffer badly from this and the economy will flatten sharply. See what happened when you put an oil man in office 10 yrs ago,now he's gone and there's little restraint to help the american public. Especially with the other party barkin at the door.,Just my $.02

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
          I am one of those that hope gasoline prices will rise. I feel for those that will suffer, I truly do. But the greater good will be better served by high gas prices spurring the development of alternate fuels. Low prices encourage the "kick the can down the road" approach that is responsible for the sad fact that since the oil crises of the 1970s absolutely nothing has been done to reverse our ever-increasing dependence on foreign oil imports. That that has been very detrimental to the best interests of the United States on several fronts. Once again, I don't deny the pain it will cause... but better to take our medicine now than to keep getting the heroine-like injections of cheap oil until our economy is so decimated that we will be unable to respond and fix the problem at all. It's like the old Fram filter commercial... "you can pay me now, or you can pay me later".
          and when food prices rise and nearly ever other goods and service rises as well, you will be happy to pay, and for the unemployment lines to lengthen? (fuel has more to do with the rise in retail food prices than the price of the commodity it comes from, but if it does go to $10 gasoline/diesel, I hope your ready for the famine it will create,

a lot of fertilizers are made from oil based products, the modern farm runs on oil, not horses, the raw grains and meat is transported by oil, the machines that are used to manufacture many of the value added products to retail products take oil, the cost of packaging is many times oil based (plastics), then transported back to the consumer take more oil,

they have not said this but, this recession was and has been as much about the raised price in oil from a few years ago, (a lot of the housing and foreclosure problems were compounded by the rise in oil) people had no other disposable income, and those who had been living pay check to pay check no longer had any thing extra, some thing had to give, and in some instances it was the house, (as goods and services cost more) people will buy less, thus cause another round of lay offs and business closings,

if you want this county to turn into a third world economy raise the oil up to $10 a gallon,

you will see starvation and famine and unemployment and inflation like we have never seen before, and it will not be in some place else, it will be here.

how would people get to work,
          (you can say well they could take the bus, OK there are not enough buses or bus routes,
          or trains or any other form of public transport), (there are not even enough horses to take up some of the load, we have done away with our 1800's early 1900's ways of life, people do not live above the store any more, (many locations it is not even legal, is how far we have come, (try today to explain to some one, you live where you work, it is not even a concept that is understood any more,)

If you see $10 dollar fuel here in the near future you better get in line for soup at the local soup kitchen.

~~~~~~~~~~

and talk about alternate fuels, I have seen it in the past people blasting corn Based ethanol, and the poor birds that may be killed by windturbins, (nothing ever said about the numbers killed ever year by high rise buildings),
          and the oil shale opponents,
          and the problems with the battery cars and the hazard wast in the batteries when there done,
          all most ever type of alternate energy that comes up, some one has problems with it, and thus that is a bad idea, and some environmental group will fight it tooth and nail,

I am all for alternate energies, but realize that the transziton point is not there yet on a large scale, and until then we need oil,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and our SUPPLY problems are caused by polices of a near sighted government, and there stupid decisions over the last 40 years, (do to goverment policeis I think only one new refinery has been built in the last 30 years), http://www.gasandoil.com/goc/news/ntn12966.htm
          http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=12227

the 1970 oil crises was man made, the one looming is man made as well,

were importing to much oil, not using our own, we have in our stupidity financed the countrys where the terrorism comes from that has caused this mess,

Attached Files
          Last edited by BHD; 03-02-2011, 05:03 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

found on Capital Hill today

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              and when food prices rise and nearly ever other goods and service rises as well, you will be happy to pay, and for the unemployment lines to lengthen? (fuel has more to do with the rise in retail food prices than the price of the commodity it comes from, but if it does go to $10 gasoline/diesel, I hope your ready for the famine it will create,

a lot of fertilizers are made from oil based products, the modern farm runs on oil, not horses, the raw grains and meat is transported by oil, the machines that are used to manufacture many of the value added products to retail products take oil, the cost of packaging is many times oil based (plastics), then transported back to the consumer take more oil,

they have not said this but, this recession was and has been as much about the raised price in oil from a few years ago, (a lot of the housing and foreclosure problems were compounded by the rise in oil) people had no other disposable income, and those who had been living pay check to pay check no longer had any thing extra, some thing had to give, and in some instances it was the house, (as goods and services cost more) people will buy less, thus cause another round of lay offs and business closings,

if you want this county to turn into a third world economy raise the oil up to $10 a gallon,

you will see starvation and famine and unemployment and inflation like we have never seen before, and it will not be in some place else, it will be here.

how would people get to work,
              (you can say well they could take the bus, OK there are not enough buses or bus routes,
              or trains or any other form of public transport), (there are not even enough horses to take up some of the load, we have done away with our 1800's early 1900's ways of life, people do not live above the store any more, (many locations it is not even legal, is how far we have come, (try today to explain to some one, you live where you work, it is not even a concept that is understood any more,)

If you see $10 dollar fuel here in the near future you better get in line for soup at the local soup kitchen.

~~~~~~~~~~

and talk about alternate fuels, I have seen it in the past people blasting corn Based ethanol, and the poor birds that may be killed by windturbins, (nothing ever said about the numbers killed ever year by high rise buildings),
              and the oil shale opponents,
              and the problems with the battery cars and the hazard wast in the batteries when there done,
              all most ever type of alternate energy that comes up, some one has problems with it, and thus that is a bad idea, and some environmental group will fight it tooth and nail,

I am all for alternate energies, but realize that the transziton point is not there yet on a large scale, and until then we need oil,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and our SUPPLY problems are caused by polices of a near sighted government, and there stupid decisions over the last 40 years, (do to goverment policeis I think only one new refinery has been built in the last 30 years), http://www.gasandoil.com/goc/news/ntn12966.htm
              http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=12227

the 1970 oil crises was man made, the one looming is man made as well,

were importing to much oil, not using our own, we have in our stupidity financed the countrys where the terrorism comes from that has caused this mess,

I understand your complaints against my statement and respect them. I disagree with your point about the economic mess being caused by oil - it wasn't. In fact artificially low oil prices (before you yell at me, consider what the rest of the world pays) allowed more income to be diverted to house payments, which helped inflate the bubble that caused that mess. However you are correct in the ripple effect that an increase on oil prices will have in all areas of life. It won't be pretty, and yes it will represent a decrease in our standard of living. I don't think it will be quite as catastrophic as you do, but no one really knows. I believe that people would still get to work. What they would give up are iphones and flat screens and $200 designer jeans. I will miss the jeans, they sure look nice on the right tush. Yes of course there are those that will hurt more than others. I have no desire for anyone to feel pain. But sometimes we have to realize that the cost of doing nothing is very very high.

I think the difference in our view comes down to my belief that we are headed for all the problems you cite *no matter what*. It's just a matter of time. Oil prices are never coming down, and they aren't going to stay at their current level. World demand is exploding. Prices will get there on their own. We *will* have the economic problems associated with energy and oil prices. It's just a matter of time.

I for one see absolutely no value in postponing our addressing of the problem any further. That's why I HOPE that the United States is pushed into solving the problems sooner rather than later. The longer we wait, the stronger our economic competitors become and the less able we will be to marshal the resources necessary to get out of the mess. It is one thing to have problems. We are quite certain to have them. It is another thing altogether to be able to solve them. We might marginally be able to do so today... with our continuing economic problems, mounting gov't debt, and declining industrial base, it's very clear to me that we will be less able to solve the problems as time rolls on. We would have been in better shape had the problems been addressed back in the 1970s. Imagine how different things would have been today.

You are quite right that none of the alternate energy options are viable as of now. But this is not a reason to kick the can down the road while the problem consumes even more of what is left of the Country. It is a reason to put serious resources into the solution. And that simply ISN'T going to happen as long as we have cheap oil. It hasn't in 40 years, why would it happen today? It won't, unless there is a compelling economic incentive. I'm sorry about being the messenger (don't shoot) but it's the truth and there are 40 years of history on this specific item that proves it!

Meanwhile, our most significant global competitor, China, recognizes that energy will be a critical factor that threatens their industrial growth. They currently dominate the world production of solar panels and continue to pump more money into research than the United States. If you are worried about the effect on the economy of $10 gasoline, please consider that the alternative is $30 gasoline while China dominates us economically because they have built a domestic energy industry.

It is always better to face your demons and vanquish them rather than let time roll on. We have tried that since the 1970s and it has led to all sorts of economic problems as well as war and loss of life on a massive scale. Cheap oil isn't helping anything, except line the pockets of the governments of those places fortunate enough to be sitting on reserves.

Again, I understand your ire, but please understand my viewpoint as well. I don't want pain any more than anyone else. To the contrary, I believe that the longer we wait, the worse the pain will be. Again, imagine how different the world would be had we addressed the issue in 1976. Next, imagine how 2026 will look if things continue down the path they're on. Not so good.

Comment

I think when the commodity is refined oil , profit at the cost of job loss and suffering is a serious factor. Alternate energies are a great idea, but for whatever reason we have not seen them at an affordable price at the consumer level. Our economy is walking on a banana peel and ice, do you really think now is the time to further burden the consumer and businesses?

If we are going to push a "pay me now, or pay me latter" mentality why not apply that to building factories to free us from our dependancy on foreign goods?
                Why not drill for oil immediately and cap the price to free us from foreign oil?

Seriously, what near term alternative to the gas engine will be developed, affordable and consumer ready in time to avert a disaster as prices climb? There are millions of folks driving cars that they can barely afford to keep running, how do you propose to get them off oil and still driving? President Obama has been making speeches about "green jobs" "alternative energy" and "jobs for the future" for years now with nothing to show. I'll sound like a broken record (vinyl disc used to reproduce sound) but communist china has the green jobs, alternative energy and jobs for the future. We need to stop talking and get moving, quick!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post

If we are going to push a "pay me now, or pay me latter" mentality why not apply that to building factories to free us from our dependancy on foreign goods?
                  Why not drill for oil immediately and cap the price to free us from foreign oil?
                  Many in this country have been saying this until we were blue in the face, but fell on deaf ears. You can thank the environmentalists and the far left for the reason why we have not drilled yet. All you have to do is go back to the 2008 election and the whole "drill baby drill" rallying cry Hilary Clinton and Obama made fun of.

5 oil rigs in the gulf of Mexico have been ready to continue drilling for MONTHS now, and the white house has been dragging it's feet on giving the "ok" for the permits which use to take weeks for permission.

If you have been following the news...1 rig was given the ok so far.

Obama wants to United States off oil period! So let's keep that in mind while we wait for the wind to blow to propel our vehicles of the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    Many in this country have been saying this until we were blue in the face, but fell on deaf ears. You can thank the environmentalists and the far left for the reason why we have not drilled yet. All you have to do is go back to the 2008 election and the whole "drill baby drill" rallying cry Hilary Clinton and Obama made fun of.

5 oil rigs in the gulf of Mexico have been ready to continue drilling for MONTHS now, and the white house has been dragging it's feet on giving the "ok" for the permits which use to take weeks for permission.

If you have been following the news...1 rig was given the ok so far.

Obama wants to United States off oil period! So let's keep that in mind while we wait for the wind to blow to propel our vehicles of the future.
                    Well, it's a "blow-job" alright. One good thing about green energy, it will help get guys like me gainfully employed, maybe for once, as it will finally put my electrical license to use. It's embarrassing to be the only guy that shows up on the job with a Focus where the rest are all pick-up trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                      Well, it's a "blow-job" alright. One good thing about green energy, it will help get guys like me gainfully employed, maybe for once, as it will finally put my electrical license to use. It's embarrassing to be the only guy that shows up on the job with a Focus where the rest are all pick-up trucks.
                      What kind of electrical work do you do?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        I think when the commodity is refined oil , profit at the cost of job loss and suffering is a serious factor. Alternate energies are a great idea, but for whatever reason we have not seen them at an affordable price at the consumer level. Our economy is walking on a banana peel and ice, do you really think now is the time to further burden the consumer and businesses?

Seriously, what near term alternative to the gas engine will be developed, affordable and consumer ready in time to avert a disaster as prices climb? There are millions of folks driving cars that they can barely afford to keep running, how do you propose to get them off oil and still driving? President Obama has been making speeches about "green jobs" "alternative energy" and "jobs for the future" for years now with nothing to show. I'll sound like a broken record (vinyl disc used to reproduce sound) but communist china has the green jobs, alternative energy and jobs for the future. We need to stop talking and get moving, quick!
                        I agree, job loss and suffering is a serious factor. But oil price increases are not a choice. You're going to see oil go up in price. It's not up to anyone. Prices will go up, even if we drill domestically.

Capping prices? Sounds like a mistake to me. Doesn't that amount to nationalizing oil? I don't see any more moves toward socialism as the solution to anything. I don't think there is any instances of price controls in history that have ever done anything except cut supply. Want gas lines around the block? Impose price control. The traditional impact of price control is shortages.

The argument that "now is not the time" has been around for 40 years. When exactly will be the time? Do we seriously think that next year will be better than this year? I don't. I think that it's more likely that tomorrow we may not have the resources to address the problem at all. Future generations will ask, "What the heck were they thinking"?

Is it better to hand out unemployment for 99 weeks (costs 100s of billions per year) to pay people for watching Oprah, or to spend it on technology development for alternate energy? Better to pay welfare instead of energy tech? How about fat pensions for public workers? How about a $600+B defense budget and wars on multiple fronts that accomplish virtually nothing? Subsidies for oil companies that are reporting billions in profits? Bank bailouts?

An energy industry would employ people, no? At all levels. Would it really be a drain on the economy or a boon to it? In the long run, the payback would be immense.

Regarding your comment on building factories... I agree we need them now. We needed them 20 year ago. But who is "they" that are supposed to build these factories? It isn't gov't. Gov't doesn't build factories unless one is talking about socialistic states. It has to be private industry. Why aren't they building factories right now when we so desperately need them? It's the same problem as oil. Just like there is no economic pressure get off of imported oil as long as it remains inexpensive, there is similarly no incentive for business to invest in US production and factories as long as there are low cost alternatives. The solution in the case of the factories is for Gov't to remove burdensome regulations and lower corporate taxes that drive factories to China and other offshore producers and incentivize domestic production rather than discourage it. But in DC, they stubbornly refuse to do anything except throw poorly targeted money at the economy. After years of economic strife (started well before the banking meltdown) and trillions of fiat paper printed.... we've seen nothing. Doesn't this tell you that they're not taking the right road? The Gov't doesn't need to spend money, debase the currency and run up the deficit. Government simply needs to simplify, and get out of the way. Everything follows the rules of economics. Want factories? Create an environment that makes it more profitable than the alternatives and the factories will appear.

BTW, a very large cost of running a modern facility is electricity costs. Efficient and low cost energy would be an advantage. China sees this and they're working on it. We are doing... nothing. They will have the advantage.

There are some potentially viable alternatives, but all need work. Natural gas and shale gas can run cars. Electric cars may become viable, but battery technology isn't good enough. We are in the dark ages in the area of nuclear power compared to many other countries. Solar isn't viable but could become viable. Biodiesel has promise as a motor fuel. There are probably many others that remain to even be dreamed about yet. All these represent not only alternative energy, but tons of jobs in everything from science and engineering to contructing the plants to building the distribution channels.

But none of these will go anywhere if gasoline is under $4. We all know it, we have history that proves it. OPEC, a cartel, considers just this when they meet to set production. They could easily raise prices. Do you think they don't do it out of compassion for Americans that can't afford gasoline? Of course not. They want to keep the price low so that there will be no incentive to develop alternatives.

We all want alternative energy... it won't come free. Energy os the lifeblood of industry. If China or India develops an alternative to oil, then we will *really* become a third world nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                          I agree, job loss and suffering is a serious factor. But oil price increases are not a choice. You're going to see oil go up in price. It's not up to anyone. Prices will go up, even if we drill domestically.

Capping prices? Sounds like a mistake to me. Doesn't that amount to nationalizing oil? I don't see any more moves toward socialism as the solution to anything. I don't think there is any instances of price controls in history that have ever done anything except cut supply. Want gas lines around the block? Impose price control. The traditional impact of price control is shortages.

The argument that "now is not the time" has been around for 40 years. When exactly will be the time? Do we seriously think that next year will be better than this year? I don't. I think that it's more likely that tomorrow we may not have the resources to address the problem at all. Future generations will ask, "What the heck were they thinking"?

Is it better to hand out unemployment for 99 weeks (costs 100s of billions per year) to pay people for watching Oprah, or to spend it on technology development for alternate energy? Better to pay welfare instead of energy tech? How about fat pensions for public workers? How about a $600+B defense budget and wars on multiple fronts that accomplish virtually nothing? Subsidies for oil companies that are reporting billions in profits? Bank bailouts?

An energy industry would employ people, no? At all levels. Would it really be a drain on the economy or a boon to it? In the long run, the payback would be immense.

Regarding your comment on building factories... I agree we need them now. We needed them 20 year ago. But who is "they" that are supposed to build these factories? It isn't gov't. Gov't doesn't build factories unless one is talking about socialistic states. It has to be private industry. Why aren't they building factories right now when we so desperately need them? It's the same problem as oil. Just like there is no economic pressure get off of imported oil as long as it remains inexpensive, there is similarly no incentive for business to invest in US production and factories as long as there are low cost alternatives. The solution in the case of the factories is for Gov't to remove burdensome regulations and lower corporate taxes that drive factories to China and other offshore producers and incentivize domestic production rather than discourage it. But in DC, they stubbornly refuse to do anything except throw poorly targeted money at the economy. After years of economic strife (started well before the banking meltdown) and trillions of fiat paper printed.... we've seen nothing. Doesn't this tell you that they're not taking the right road? The Gov't doesn't need to spend money, debase the currency and run up the deficit. Government simply needs to simplify, and get out of the way. Everything follows the rules of economics. Want factories? Create an environment that makes it more profitable than the alternatives and the factories will appear.

BTW, a very large cost of running a modern facility is electricity costs. Efficient and low cost energy would be an advantage. China sees this and they're working on it. We are doing... nothing. They will have the advantage.

There are some potentially viable alternatives, but all need work. Natural gas and shale gas can run cars. Electric cars may become viable, but battery technology isn't good enough. We are in the dark ages in the area of nuclear power compared to many other countries. Solar isn't viable but could become viable. Biodiesel has promise as a motor fuel. There are probably many others that remain to even be dreamed about yet. All these represent not only alternative energy, but tons of jobs in everything from science and engineering to contructing the plants to building the distribution channels.

But none of these will go anywhere if gasoline is under $4. We all know it, we have history that proves it. OPEC, a cartel, considers just this when they meet to set production. They could easily raise prices. Do you think they don't do it out of compassion for Americans that can't afford gasoline? Of course not. They want to keep the price low so that there will be no incentive to develop alternatives.

We all want alternative energy... it won't come free. Energy os the lifeblood of industry. If China or India develops an alternative to oil, then we will *really* become a third world nation.
                          Andy, I'll respond to some of your points but first, let's agree that our government is so slow to act or be proactive that we are probably sunk.

I doubt even zero taxes would be enough of an incentive to have big business build factories here. Maybe zero taxes, no EPA or OSHA involvement and no minimum wage might be enough? I say legislate to make imported products so costly tfor the importer that they will be forced to make it here! I was reading today that the USA exports over 300 million dollars worth of chicken paws (feet) to china( they really like'em). Now it seems china has a problem with that so they set a limit, essentially knocking down the export amount and "profit" for us.

China can develop and impliment the new altenative energies because they are more of a developing nation. We on the other hand already have millions of cars on the road along with all the machines and junk necessary for our daily lives, it is much more costly to make a transition than to simply go forward. I said before, even if you had alternative energy cars how would the American consumer who is near broke and barely keeping their gas clunker going afford to get one???

I'll say this in closing, we had gas rationing in the 70's and we learned nothing, did nothing to prepare for today. I think it is too late now when we are paying almost $4.00 a gallon to keep our economy afloat and either develop the new energies or dril for oil. There won't be any escape from foreign goods and chinese junk, no return to American made.

Forty years or so of American based businesses and jobs leaving our borders and shores and the effects are finally being felt. I am sure there will be a tipping point when the the effects will happen at an exponential speed.
                          When enough people cannot afford to drive their cars to work, the cost of trucking food and supplies is too high for consumers or leaves little to no profit for business, the machine we call our economy will grind to a halt.
                          I hope I'm wrong, so if someone can convince me our government will act swiftly and do something please respond.

Comment

Obma, what happened to change?
                            Now my bank account is only left with change!
                            Rod
                            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                            http://unclognh.com
                            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                              What kind of electrical work do you do?
                              One standard electrician, just like all the rest. However, if the day comes where "technicians" come to do the installs, rather than tradesmen, I'm throwing away my tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X