X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Ruling

"WASHINGTON — A Supreme Court decision protecting anti-gay picketing by the Westboro Baptist Church as free speech has veterans groups and other opponents vowing to step up efforts to block church followers from demonstrating at high-profile funerals and interfering with grieving military families."

Another example of free speech being twisted to hurt people instead of protecting the rights of decent folks. If my son died serving his country and protestors showed up at the funeral, there would be a lot of butts kicked. I would defend my actions as "The Pursuit of Happiness".

Re: Bad Ruling

I hate what the Westboro Baptist Church stand for but agree we need to protect free-speech at all cost.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-03-2011, 03:10 AM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      I hate what the Westboro Baptist Church stand for but agree we need to protect free-spech at all cost.

Mark
      Couldn't agree more.

Even though it was 8-1, it's nice to see that the minority in the chamber follow the constitution on the 1st amendment as they should.

A shame the minority couldn't couldn't follow the Constitution on the 2nd amendment though in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        "WASHINGTON — A Supreme Court decision protecting anti-gay picketing by the Westboro Baptist Church as free speech has veterans groups and other opponents vowing to step up efforts to block church followers from demonstrating at high-profile funerals and interfering with grieving military families."

Another example of free speech being twisted to hurt people instead of protecting the rights of decent folks. If my son died serving his country and protestors showed up at the funeral, there would be a lot of butts kicked. I would defend my actions as "The Pursuit of Happiness".
        I actually agree with you, and so does the majority of this country. It was disgusting what they were doing, but the Constitution is our backbone, and it's the law of the land that we follow it. If that was my kid that was being protested like that, I would be in the jail cell right next to you.

Comment

All for freedom of speech...but have some respect for you fellow man...these kids are dying for what we take for granted and what we believe in...first protester in my face get concrete in his...Vietnam was before my time and nothing get me more piss**ed off then the way "Americans" treated those guys...anti-american shi*-heads....I do love this country and am very proud and glad I have the rights I have...Thank You Military Personal!!
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

There should be some kind of standards to be called a Church .

Comment

If members of this "church" have any celebrations, weddings, christenings etc. I hope that they are someday confronted by some noisy, unruly demonstrators.

Payback is a b**ch.

Also another note, the decision mentions free speech on public property. Aren't most cemeteries (except national cemeteries) private property? If so they can be kept out of the cemetery.

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                If members of this "church" have any celebrations, weddings, christenings etc. I hope that they are someday confronted by some noisy, unruly demonstrators.

Payback is a b**ch.

Also another note, the decision mentions free speech on public property. Aren't most cemeteries (except national cemeteries) private property? If so they can be kept out of the cemetery.
                I'm not sure that would work. Fred Phelps has been at this for over 50-years. After all of these years his Church still has less than 75-members and they are all family members. They are only out for attention and the more counter-protest there are the better for them.

They do not go on private property, they line the streets leading up to the cemetery. Many of the Phelps are Attorneys and know how to stay just barely legal.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post

Fight fire with fire. Picket and protest at their homes, church and their funerals with a signs that say God hate's stupid jack azz's.
                  Religion has caused more deaths than anything! Why because someone thinks their God story is better than someone's else's
                  Rod
                  MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                  Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                  http://unclognh.com
                  http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I hate what the Westboro Baptist Church stand for but agree we need to protect free-speech at all cost.

Mark
                    Mark, there are exceptions to free speech such as yelling fire when there is none to cause panic. If I'm right then why not vote on an amendment to include offensive language at cemetaries and such? I know I'm grabbing at straws but if the right was not meant to cause pain and suffering, why not consider a modification?
                    http://www.freedomforum.org/packages...edomspeech.htm
                    I think the language and atmosphere at those cemetary protests certainly provokes violence and danger!
                    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 03-03-2011, 02:22 PM.

Comment

As much as I can't stand these idiots, I am glad the SC ruled as they did. With that said, local cities would still have the right to pass LOCAL city ordinances that would prohibit protesting at funerals and would be perfectly legal to do so.

Comment

I feel so strong on both sides of this issue I truly stand in the middle. I'm not sure there is a correct ruling.

I think I could easily have a 3hr debate with just myself defending both sides of the issue

I wonder if with this ruling the WBC will become even more offensive/in your face.
                        They offend on many fronts. I feel at some point they will have pushed someone too far and the end result will be a tragedy.
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

They do not go on private property, they line the streets leading up to the cemetery.
                          OK, so beat them at their own game, and get there BEFORE the do. Line the whole cemetery with Vets standing shoulder to shoulder, no one gets past who is not part of the funeral. I bet there would be no problem mustering a few hundred Vets for such a cause. and make sure the police know they will be there and ask them to be on hand to break up any scuffle started by members of this so-called church.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X