• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SST Landing

Just heard the twin sonic booms of SST Discovery about
    3 minutes from its 11:57 am touchdown at Kennedy
    Space Center. Even though I'm over 100 miles away, it's
    enough to rattle the windows. Gonna miss that signature
    sound as well as those spectacular night launches.

Re: SST Landing

I can't believe the program is ending either. We should have had our next gen shuttle built and ready to go by now. Instead we are burning up cash overseas. I support the cause and the troops but I wish we were not there.

We (America and the world) have profited greatly from research and experiments involved with the space program.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Jim
      I heard it on Boca Grande. It sounded like someone dropped a load of plywood on the third floor. I damn near jumped off my ladder.
      Mike

Comment

I was talking to a buddy who has a house in St. Peterburg Beach (Tampa), said he heard some explosion. When I told him what it was he said that must have been it, he said it shook the house. Imagine the damage a meteorite that size hitting the Earth would have?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          I was talking to a buddy who has a house in St. Peterburg Beach (Tampa), said he heard some explosion. When I told him what it was he said that must have been it, he said it shook the house. Imagine the damage a meteorite that size hitting the Earth would have?

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that could ever happen due to the density of the earth's inner layers. The object would have to be traveling at an unconceivably high velocity and be about as dense as a neutron start to do that.

Cool pic though
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I also heard the sonic boom here in Glendale Arizona....
              on my TV watching the landing on the NASA channel!

Cactus Man

Comment

i heard the boom

wait that was my stomach it was close to lunch time
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Well, this might not be a popular comment, but I have thought that program should have wound down many years ago.

From the beginning it was way over budget and way overweight (which translated into much less payload capacity). I remember that they had trouble with the heat shield tiles falling off during one of the flights where the first one was piggy-backed onto a 747 before its first launch. Yeah they fixed that and ended up revising the good portion of the tiles in years later for a "blanket" design. Still... not a great start. The main engines were fantastic bits of technology, but a maintenance nightmare... as was the entire shuttle, really. All in all, it never made a lot of sense to me to run that program for 30 years, but that's waht we've done.... 30 years!

The shuttle, despite the press, was always intended, really, for one primary mission: to get weapons on orbit in a hurry. This capability scared the bejeezus out of the Soviets, who even started their own program. Their "shuttle" looked remarkably similar to ours, but I don't think it ever worked. Anyway, because our shuttle was overweight and had other issues, it never quite lived up to the expectations, and it certainly wasn't cheap. Single use rockets ended up being cheaper to run for very many satellite launch applications, and that's why they're in use today.

It's tough for me, even though I'm a big fan of and have friends that worked on the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo hardware, to justify that we continued to spend so much money on the Shuttle program for so long when there are so many pressing technological problems right here that we can't afford to address. I saw its value as a military device, but after all, the Soviets went out of business nearly 20 years ago. I don't think that milking that program since then has made a lot of sense.

Even so, it definitely played a role in history. As with all flight vehicles, some very brave people took their turns. Huge numbers of dedicated people kept the fleet space-worthy. There was of course tragic loss of life, but overall an excelent safety record. All those people deserve our admiration and respect.

But I'm not sad at all to see the program end. Here's hoping that the next one, when we can afford it, will be build on the Shuttle's successes and benefit by learning from its failures.

Comment

Personally, I would have preferred all the money, resources and research to have been applied to earthly endeavors. I know some great stuff was discovered along the way but it looks as if we would be better served to take care of our planet than explore others. Imagine what advancements could have been made if all those funds were put towards developing food and energy resources from the ocean? Improvements to our old tired infrastructure, and better mass transportation across our country.

He we are still slipping down that slope, with none of those improvements.

Comment

Has anyone else noticed that advertisements for "space-age" products all seem to be about 20 years old now?

Anyway, I don't have any major opinion on it either way, but it was a fascinating program. I'm sure I personally benefit from it every day.

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                        Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that could ever happen due to the density of the earth's inner layers. The object would have to be traveling at an unconceivably high velocity and be about as dense as a neutron start to do that.

Cool pic though
                        idlplumb:

If it's OK with you I hope we never have to find out.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post

The shuttle, despite the press, was always intended, really, for one primary mission: to get weapons on orbit in a hurry. This capability scared the bejeezus out of the Soviets, who even started their own program.
                          I understand the soviets actually had a machine gun mounted in one of their spacecraft for a while and actually fired it in space.

I think the Chinese have an elegant idea. Just blow satellites up from the ground.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                            I understand the soviets actually had a machine gun mounted in one of their spacecraft for a while and actually fired it in space.

I think the Chinese have an elegant idea. Just blow satellites up from the ground.
                            The Chinese have discovered the most destructive weapon possible to defeat the United States.... WalMart.

Comment

Working...
                            X