X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "By What Standards?"

I took that line from the movie, "Edge of Darkness". Just before a killer executes a crooked senator, he utters those words. I take consciense stock of my behavior as a husband, father, neighbor and so on as I go through my day. We are judged by others even if they don't come right out and tell us what they think. I laugh when folks say they don't judge others because it's impossible to be aware of another person's behavior or statments and not have an opinion.

Recently I read a post on the Internet in which the writer said he only cared about his family and friends. I thought to myself how limiting such an attitude was and how bad things are allowed to continue when good folks have such tunnel vision and ignore the plight of their fellow man. In all fairness, that is just me imposing my standards on another person and who is to say what's right and wrong?

I think we project these personal standards on everything from personal conduct, to politics. I wonder what standards are being used by both our political parties as they struggle to push specific agendas that do not represent our great nation and "We the People"? What are some of your standards?

Re: "By What Standards?"

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    I took that line from the movie, "Edge of Darkness". Just before a killer executes a crooked senator, he utters those words. I take consciense stock of my behavior as a husband, father, neighbor and so on as I go through my day. We are judged by others even if they don't come right out and tell us what they think. I laugh when folks say they don't judge others because it's impossible to be aware of another person's behavior or statments and not have an opinion.

Recently I read a post on the Internet in which the writer said he only cared about his family and friends. I thought to myself how limiting such an attitude was and how bad things are allowed to continue when good folks have such tunnel vision and ignore the plight of their fellow man. In all fairness, that is just me imposing my standards on another person and who is to say what's right and wrong?

I think we project these personal standards on everything from personal conduct, to politics. I wonder what standards are being used by both our political parties as they struggle to push specific agendas that do not represent our great nation and "We the People"? What are some of your standards?
    Buy American whenever possible...Especially when it comes to alien labor...Pay more? yes...I consider it caring for my country and it's ignorant voters.

Comment

Sometime when you ask the question, as you have, Frank, you get an answer. But I think with many folks, you will get a truer picture of where they are really coming from if you simply read what they write in other threads.

Having said that, in Adam's case, we know from reading his posts that his answer above is where he's at. I'm happy to agree with him... Buy American whenever at all possible. It may cost more today, but it will be cheaper by far in the long run.

As for me, I will say that I believe in the Constitution. I do not believe that it is anachronistic, and I find most of the so-called "interpretations" to be nothing more than attempts to get around it.

I believe that people should take responsibility for their actions and choices, and if they make bad choices, fix them or don't, but don't whine about it.

I believe that our inalienable rights are simply life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We don't have the right to happiness, welfare, healthcare, safety or anything else. All that is up to us to provide for ourselves through our own smarts, hard work, and wise decisions. If we are stupid, lazy or don't plan well, that's a shame but it's not anyone else's problem. Maybe they will help, and if they do, bless 'em. But it's not a Government function or obligation of society.

I believe that "spinning" is the same as "lying", and that political correctness is the enemy of truth and openness.

Just for starters, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
        Sometime when you ask the question, as you have, Frank, you get an answer. But I think with many folks, you will get a truer picture of where they are really coming from if you simply read what they write in other threads.

Having said that, in Adam's case, we know from reading his posts that his answer above is where he's at. I'm happy to agree with him... Buy American whenever at all possible. It may cost more today, but it will be cheaper by far in the long run.

As for me, I will say that I believe in the Constitution. I do not believe that it is anachronistic, and I find most of the so-called "interpretations" to be nothing more than attempts to get around it.

I believe that people should take responsibility for their actions and choices, and if they make bad choices, fix them or don't, but don't whine about it.

I believe that our inalienable rights are simply life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We don't have the right to happiness, welfare, healthcare, safety or anything else. All that is up to us to provide for ourselves through our own smarts, hard work, and wise decisions. If we are stupid, lazy or don't plan well, that's a shame but it's not anyone else's problem. Maybe they will help, and if they do, bless 'em. But it's not a Government function or obligation of society.

I believe that "spinning" is the same as "lying", and that political correctness is the enemy of truth and openness.

Just for starters, that is.
        That was some start Andy! You have been quite open and honest with your opinions and thoughts, and I appreciate your many responses. When I saw that part of the movie, although it was aimed at a politician I thought how it might apply to me. There are so many guys who are husbands and fathers, but I question "by what standards"? Aside from politics, I'd like to see more folks grade their behavior and how they impact those around them on a daily basis.

I can say that this Forum has high standards as set forth by the monitors. We are free to disagree with one another, but must do so in a respectful manner. I know the it's not perfect and at times the envelope is pushed, but it show me that most of the folks who post here are pretty well disciplined.

I have found few if any perfect people in my life, (myself included) but if asked that question I would not be intimidated or feel guilty.
        Holding one's self to certain standards does not guarantee any success beyond knowing you at least tried. You can try to be a good husband and father, but that does not necessarily mean your marriage will last or your children will succeed in life.

I mentioned politicians because I wonder at what point some of them transgress from representing the people and government, to an agenda that is not for the better good of the masses or country. When they start to make backroom deals, and cater to special interests they must realize the departure from accepted standards by which "We the People" judge them.

Comment

Working...
        X