• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Not The Type For "Going Green"

In the checkout at the store, the young cashier told me that plastic
    bags weren’t good for the environment. I apologized to her and
    explained, “We didn’t have the green thing back in my day.”
    That’s the truth, I told her, we didn’t have the green thing in our day. Back then, we returned milk bottles, Coke bottles, and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed, sterilized, and
    refilled, using the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn’t have the green thing back in our day.
    In our day, they walked up stairs, because they didn’t have an escalator
    in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and
    didn’t climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two
    blocks. But we didn’t have the green thing in our day.
    Back then, they washed the baby’s diapers because they didn’t have the
    throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling
    machine burning up 220 volts – wind and solar power really did dry the
    clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters,
    not always brand-new clothing. But we didn’t have the green thing back in our day.
    Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house – not a TV in every
    room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a pizza dish, not a
    giant flat screen the size of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn’t have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam peanuts or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn’t fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. we used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so I didn’t need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But we didn’t have the green thing back then.
    We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty, instead of using a styrofoam cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled pens with ink, instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn’t have the green thing back then.
    Back then, people took the bus and kids rode their bikes to school
    or walked, instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi
    service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of
    sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn’t need a computerized
    gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in
    space in order to find the nearest pizza joint. But we didn’t have the green thing back in our day
    The young cashier pulled an earbud out of her ear and asked, Did you say something? as she looked at the machine to figure out my change!
    "I just told her, I am not the type for Going Green"
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Re: I'm Not The Type For "Going Green"

Excellent post and thread!What in the heck are we buying bottles of water for when it runs clean from the faucet? Just the other day I was talking to a neighbor about how wasteful and spoined we are today. My first cars had no power steering to go bad and the car was easily steered, no air conditioner, or power windows to go bad, just use the crank. No computer or fuel injection to break. You figure the cost of production and repair for all those conveniences and it's just not worth it in my opinion. I wrote a similar post here a couple weeks ago. We had one tv, one phone and icecream if a truck came around and Mom felt generous. We got a present on Christmas and our birthday, now the kids expect a present on every holiday! Cell phones, laptops, Ipods, Ipads, digital cameras, digital books! Life expectancy of these costly gadgets maybe three or four years if you're lucky, then buy'em again!

We don't need alterantive energy vehicles. Build and offer one with a 4cylinder well made carb, no power anything, or air. Best you'd get thirty miles to a gallon and cut repair visits next to nothing. Stop with all the bottled water already, put in some fountains and carry a canteen if you get thirsty.

Comment

Back then, cars only gotten at best 15 mpg, how efficent.
      Back then, an engine that only gone 75,000 miles on it was considered dead, how reliable.
      Back then, fuel had lead in it that was burned and spewed into the air, THAT is certainly "green".
      Back then, those tiny TV's spewed more radiation than a modern microwave, and used up more energy than one, and made with cathode ray tubes with metals so hazardous, that are considered toxic waste and cannot be buried. Something a theater sized flatscreen cannot claim the glory to.
      Today's dryers don't use a fraction of the power it's predecessors used, and frees up our most precious resource, time, for more productive ventures.

As for today's technology, we no longer have the time to go over bills at the end of the month, contractors can no longer put customers on hold for weeks, nor can we expect our children to succeed localy anymore. While yes these devices seem like playthings for now, they will soon become vital tools in their lives to hold a career to ensure a healthy lifestyle that enables the free time needed to perform better actions. Go ahead, find a job that doesn't require a computer or IPhone. When you do, just look for something in common between those lines of work. I can go on, but I distinctly remember having this conversation before, and therefore not waste the energy to do so again.

Oh, and nice copypaste papadan.

Comment

tailgunner, are you saying that today's wastefulness is somehow better than yesterdays inefficiency? I must not be that deep as I just thought it was just a cute way of pointing out that conserving wasn't necessarily a new concept.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

i wish i could have read this

back then we had no internet and no computers.

i'll have to wait for the future

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Dan i know your old but not that old lol
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

My observations over the years are that for all our technological advances, our environment, fuel consumption and society don't seem to have improved?

Cars get better gas mileage, but the savings is more than lost on all the other systems that must be paid for upfront and repaired!

We have never know so much about nutrition, had so many healthy options, and yet have so many obese and sick people!

We have the Internet, cell phones, and many other forms of communication, and yet we have lost touch with family, friends and neighbors. People are less involved with other people and more withdrawn into the fantasy world of gaming and other electronics.

Maybe the good old days were not all that great, but the present leaves a lot to be desired as well.

I say get rid of the Intenet, cell phones, credit cards, noisy recreational vehicles (quads, wave runners, skidoos,etc). Take women out of the workplace and don't let them vote. Let teachers start beating kids again, it seemed to do them some good!

Comment

Great Post. I hear you loud and clear. I am only 35 and wonder what it would have been like to be in a business back then. Unfortunately, what you are describing was around when I was a kid. Maybe, I just have a really good memory, but it sucked! I remember trying to reach my dad from a F'N two way radio, when I damn near cut my brothers head off with a go cart, or having to keep my mom calm during the birth of my youngest brother and sister, because the super on the job, thought it was too far to walk out of the job trailer to yell at him. I remember people dying a lot because there was no system in place to get to them quick (911). I remember the Heat killing a lot more people than it does today (no A/C). I remember almost being killed by falling out of the back of a pick truck. I remember being told, you don't need a helmet and safety glasses. I am curious, do you remember all of the deaths that happened on just about every Large commercial job site before OSHA?
                After saying all of that, I still wish things could be simple again. I wish that I didn't have to go through all of the testing to become a Master Plumber. I wish that I didn't have to carry insurances for everything under the sun. I wish that people would man up. I think if most people today, had to go down to the creek to get water, they would die. I wish that the having at least one working toilet in the house was enough. I wish that I could charge customers $20.00 an hour and make a decent living. I wish water heaters lasted 30+ years, and If I never had to replace another appliance in my house, I would JUMP FOR JOY. I wish that America could realize that we have a huge infrastructure problem with our plumbing and other services. I wish they understood that progress does make a mess, and I am sorry little bird, but your nest is in the F'n way of someone getting drinking water or Oil. But instead we would rather send young men and women over seas to be killed and to kill others. Then 30 years later, we send relief and want people to visit the beautiful country of Vietnam. F' all of that.

Boy if that ain't Bi-polar
                "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  My observations over the years are that for all our technological advances, our environment, fuel consumption and society don't seem to have improved?

Cars get better gas mileage, but the savings is more than lost on all the other systems that must be paid for upfront and repaired!

We have never know so much about nutrition, had so many healthy options, and yet have so many obese and sick people!

We have the Internet, cell phones, and many other forms of communication, and yet we have lost touch with family, friends and neighbors. People are less involved with other people and more withdrawn into the fantasy world of gaming and other electronics.

Maybe the good old days were not all that great, but the present leaves a lot to be desired as well.

I say get rid of the Intenet, cell phones, credit cards, noisy recreational vehicles (quads, wave runners, skidoos,etc). Take women out of the workplace and don't let them vote. Let teachers start beating kids again, it seemed to do them some good!
                  Right, in a time of labor shortages, lets remove half of our workforce due to their gender. Go ahead and let these overpaid babysitters strike our children just because it's hard to pay attention in a class not worth any attention at all! Please, if family, friends, and other people were any worth at all to pay attention too, then these electronic devices would never be an issue! If anything, we live in a world where a woman can log on to any dating website and have a prospective suitor at her door before she can log off. I'd say communications among people has indeed improved! As far as obiesity, just take a good look at what age group they are in. These people are clearly not any younger than 40, just keep that in mind. Our generations biggest problems right now are how to clean up the messes that you people left behind.

Thank you very much!
                  Last edited by tailgunner; 03-20-2011, 12:05 AM.

Comment

I thank God every day that I live today and not yesterday when I was a boy in fifties and sixties when one had heart problems they were told to go home and die or like me I was digosed with an enlarged prostate and cancer in January and have had my radiation and it has nearly cleared up if this had happened in the so called good old days I would be died.

Tony

Comment

PapaDan,

Great post and having lived it, it is much appreciated! (Did you write that yourself?... great!!

Tailgunner,

I think I would have to disagree with you on a couple of points (but no disrespect or offense intended). My 56' Mercury Monteray had a 4-barrel carb, 292 cu in V8 that would lay rubber and chirp the tires at 60 on an upshift... it got 21 on the highway. (No doubt a polluter though, so no argument there.) My 65 VW got an average of 32 and as high as 36 on the highway. My 84 Tercel Wagon got almost 42 and as high as 46. So seeing today's commercials regarding high 20's and low 30's doesn't impress me at all, especially with gas fast approaching $4 a gallon. (My VW would fill up for $3 and that would last me a week.)

I've been a computer fan well ahead of most people, having not only a computer in 1978, but being able to apply it to my work and therefore make money it. I was the first to introduce it as a writing tool to Corning, Inc. in 1984 and as a publications production tool to Ingersoll-Rand in the 1989. I've never owned a computer that didn't pay for itself quickly. Yet today, what I see most people do with it is play games and surf. Great things, but rather expensive toys for too many and oddly enough they need to constantly upgrade.

Cell phones are a pet peeve of mine. Everybody's talking and nobody seems to be "communicating". I see two people walking down the street or riding in a car and just figure they must be bored as hell with each other, because either one or both are talking on their cell phone to someone else. Everybody seems to be in-touch, but very few have a clue. Makes me wonder how anyone survived life through all those past generations without being able to tell all thier friends of every exciting moment in daily lives.

And Yes, I sort of agree with you about what a great business tool it can or should be. Before cell phones, successful businesses hired a secretary or clerk or had their wives handle the incoming calls... or they had an answering machine. Ancient stuff I suppose, but you know somehow businesses survived, people were employed, and customer's got called back, service stops were made and the customer's work wasn't interupted in the process. Today every service guy has a cell phone, and yet my experience has been that getting my phone call returned is a rare event indeed.... go figure!

I do have a cell phone. It's for emergencies, I pay $100 a year for minutes that I can "roll-over"... oddly, I'm somewhere around $400 in credits. I simply can't think of any important reason to call anyone when I'm out walking or driving. (And I figure if the President wants me, he'll just send a chopper anyway! )

As far as all those "fat" people you see... there sure are a lot of them for sure. But I disagree that they're all over 40! Age can surely do that to us, but so can a lot of inactivity and I see way too many people of all ages that ought to be expanding their exercise beyond hinging their jaws and bending their elbows.

So that none of you get the wrong impression, I don't wish to "go back" by any means. Yes, there are things that were perhaps "better" to some of us and why not? But there's a lot of exciting things about living today.

PlumbingbyJay mentioned a few of the "improvements", but with some I had to smile, as they definitely fall into the much griped about "government intervention" category. Nonetheless I agree with him, as there a lot of reasons why living today is better than it was; but there's also a lot of things that have been lost too.

But regardless, we have become a rather wasteful, consumer society. Gadgets galore and communications capabilities beyond the wildest dreams of just a decade ago. I'm really awestruck by it, and must admit that much is beyond my willingness to take the time to delve further into it. (Maybe that is where all that time savings go, as people need it in order to keep up! )

Some of my "problem" goes like this: Last year a friend was showing off his new Droid. Like man, he could go into a book store and take a picture of a book and within seconds it would come back and tell him that he could save $2 by getting it from Amazon. It could also tell him that there was a gas station two blocks away and that McDonald's was just around the corner.

Now is that cool or what? I was most impressed, really!

But then again, I thought to myself about the price he paid for it and that it added $30 or so to his monthly phone bill. Somehow the thought entered my head that I already knew about the gas station and I don't eat at McDonald's, and I can't quite comprehend why I'd rather order the book from Amazon, when I really appreciated going into the bookstore and just enjoying myself.... especially if I was only going to safe $2. Then the thought occurred to my that it doesn't make much sense to spend $30 (plus the phone) just to save $2.

Now I'm wondering what is the coolest... the phone or the company that convinced my friend it was a great idea worth spending all that extra money on?.

Hey, let's face it... I'm hopeless! But I do so enjoy life, it's just so amusing at times!

CWS
                      Last edited by CWSmith; 03-20-2011, 02:27 AM.

Comment

I wrote part of this and borrowed about a third of it Charlie. Most of this I did live through, while we didn't have glass milk bottles, we did have a 12" black and white TV until 1975. I was raised by my grandparents due to my parents death. When I turned 18 and quit school to work full time in 75, I bought my grandmother a giant 25" color TV with remote. From 67 until 72 My only money was from mowing lawns, with an old reel push mower. The first time I ever used a gas engine mower was in 78, when I had my own yard to cut, and still live in the same house. Now I have a 24v cordless mower and 18v cordless weedeater. LOL Some things have improved greatly over the years, but others could really benifit from backing up 40 years or so! And yes Franki, they should bring back corpral punishment in our schools, didn't seem to ruin my life because I got my a$$ wacked when needed.
                        Last edited by papadan; 03-20-2011, 03:40 AM.
                        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                          And yes Franki, they should bring back corpral punishment in our schools, didn't seem to ruin my life because I got my a$$ wacked when needed.
                          I went to Catholic school and apparently Sister Yevette felt I needed it A LOT!

Come to think of it, so didn't Sister Mary, Mrs. Gordon, the Head Master etc....

I remember the first time I got wacked in the head. When I got home I told my mom and I got wacked in the head again for doing something to get wacked in the first place.

I quickly learned the correct answer to her question "how was school today"?........."SWELL mom"!
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                            I went to Catholic school and apparently Sister Yevette felt I needed it A LOT!

Come to think of it, so didn't Sister Mary, Mrs. Gordon, the Head Master etc....

I remember the first time I got wacked in the head. When I got home I told my mom and I got wacked in the head again for doing something to get wacked in the first place.

I quickly learned the correct answer to her question "how was school today"?........."SWELL mom"!
                            Where I live, plus when I was going to school, school teachers were afraid of getting shot if they ever dared strike a student.

Comment

Working...
                            X