• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: guilty or not guilty?

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    are you telling me phoebe's not a keeper

wait till baby phoebe reads what uncle mark wrote about her

rick.
    Thankfully as it turns out Joey had the dominant gene so Phoebe will be just fine. However, Joey and I are a little concerned whether it would be wise for Phoebe to ever have a full sibling.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I never get picked for jury duty when I tell them "Honest people don't end up on trial, so they must be guilty"! "You are excused"...

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        just ouitside the courthouse.

our electric chair

texas has nothing on us

rick.
        We actually use ours. HELLO! Here all week
        "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Some places excuse you from jury duty if you own a business and must close that business to serve on the jury.

Comment

joey would have an excuse for postponement. joey not being able to feed phoebe. but then she would have to serve at a later date.

there are no more excuses unless you're over 70 with a note from the dr.

the second day pays $15.00 and .34cents a mile 1 way

my lunch cost me $10.00 yesterday

but it's free internet when it works and you're not in court

court is closed today/ friday. so off to work i go. need to play catch up before monday

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I've been picked for jury duty 5 times but only sat on 1 trial. I figure i would want somebody like me in the jury box if I was on trial. I'm tired off getting called but I happily serve.

Comment

Rick i could see it now you walk in to the court turn to the judge and say you want to give it a try holding up one of your games and the judge does this order in the court

i only had to go one time and i was picked by the prosecution ,it was a rape case with an under age girl . i think they wanted me because i had 2 girls around the same age as the girl there . most people that were picked said they could not be fare because they have kids .
                when they asked me if i could i said yes i could no i was fare
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

the shocking lightning game was a huge hit in the jury pool waiting room. nothing like 4 of us playing and 196 watching for a looser

talk about a big scream and laugh

i could do that all day long.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                    It's not about your inconvenience.
                    It's about your civic duty and the privilege of participating in the
                    democratic process. It's about preserving the freedom, rights, and
                    liberties that we enjoy. Ones that have been bought with blood
                    and are still being defended today. Regardless how flawed our
                    judicial system may seem, it's still the best one around. Hopefully
                    it still will be when your daughter grows up.
                    Jim, sorry to argue but since when is the truth important when you have overdressed liars who use words to confuse running the show. Then we have the JELLY BACK Judges who are afraid to do their jobs and sentence the guilty to terms relative to the crime. Over here we once had a Judge say that a nun being raped was less traumatising than a housewife/sister because of her faith or something similar. Sometimes the old Kangaroo court system might be better and definitely cheaper. I personally wouldnt mind if our time was respected but over here it rarely is. We look after our kids future shifting poo instead of sitting there getting splashed by some overdressed piece of several thousand dollars an hour filth. Slugs and Grubs have more prominence in this world than most Lawyers

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                      I know it's a PITA, especially for a one man band.
                      But you have to have provisions for a back-up.
                      Even more so when your alone.
                      What if, God forbid, you were go down with an injury,
                      illness, or some other catastrophe.
                      You know what they say about those who fail to plan.

I think you are missing Rick's point, which is he has the potential to lose a long time customer, not just a days work. There is no backup plan that can mitigate or eliminate that loss. To the client whose home is being damaged the option to wait for their favorite plumber might be expensive or simply impossible, depending on the severity of the leak as Rick said.

And Rick I know weel you don't need anyone to defend you, I just wanted it known I agree with you and wish the system were updated too.

Knowing what I can of Rick after 6+ years on this forum I have no doubt his beef is not with serving, its the archaic way in which we are asked to serve.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

pretty right on bob

it's not the money or the lost work.

it's basically leaving my customers hanging and having to look for some one else in a time of emergency.

normal scheduled work is not a problem with my customers. but the drop all emergencies which are a good 50% of my work is where i feel i'm letting down my customers.

if they would just assign me a date in advance and not keep me hanging for a week of uncertainty, i would not have an issue.

once i'm either dismissed on monday or asked to serve on the case we were brought in for, i can then discuss the details and my observations of the system

it would be interesting to forward this to the court when all is said and done and see if they respond to my concern as a self employed trades person in the service industry. where believe it or not it's just as important as an emergency room doctor that patients are relying on

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

so to sum it all up, i was released from the jury this afternoon. the judge dismissed 2 out of the original 24 that were interviewed. the prosecution released 3 then rested, and the defense did 3 plus me

the sad part is i honestly felt like i would have made a very fair and impartial juror

needless to say i snuck in a sewer stoppage this morning before the 10:30 court time and then a toilet repair on the way home from my 2:15 dismissal. even stopped
                          by joey's work to say hi, and took phoebe to a job with me

the owner and house keeper loved her

i also lined up a job with a juror that already had my number on his phone from years ago and another lady that might use me that lives next to the playboy mansion

she has an unknown high pitched noise that has stumped 4 sound engineers and a handful of other plumbers. i wonder if a loose bunny is running around the attic

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Cleanmen2, "Slugs and Grubs have more prominence in this world than most Lawyers"

Isn't this an oxymoron?

Comment

the one time I was called, we had to report at 9:45 am, get released at 1130 until 200, then released at 3, waiting to see if we would be called to interview for a trial, then told to report again the next day, started on monday, friday at noon they told most of us that we wouldn't be needed, but because we didn't serve, we wouldn't be excused from being called again in the near future.

Work hours at the time were 8-430, basically I got to go to work from 1pm to 430pm on friday.

I'm with the rest of you, serving is no problem, but don't ruin my week for no reason.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Rick im good at hunting Bunny's so if you want i can help you out
                                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                                X