X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well I am going to turn 30 tomorrow!

I can't say I looking forward to this birthday. I am thankful to have my intelligent beautiful daughter and to have the love of my life my wife . I do feel like my life is moving by so fast . But I guess that's how life goes ? I do have some plans for 30 1.) Quit smoking I been smoking 1-1/2 packs a day for 15 years. 2.) Join the local gym with my wife and get into a routine going in the morning before work.3.) Make more time for my wife and daughter so I am not always out working . I do feel like I have worked the last 12 years away this will always be a challenge for me but I think its possible if I just Sechudle time for us . I know a lot of you have been there done that what do guys have to say about 30.

Thanks !

Doug

Re: well I am going to turn 30 tomorrow!

Happy Birthday Doug.

Do give up the smoking. I quit 20 years ago (after 35 years) and feel great, except for some shortness of breath due to all those years of smoking.

Working out is also good for you and your wife. Start slow and don't strain yourselves. My wife and I enjoy Planet Fitness for their low pressure environment, we don't compete with the muscle builders.

Again, enjoy your 30th.

Bill

Comment

Happy Birthday Doug, and many more in good health.
      I remember thirty as a time of working long hours on the job, long hours on the house and property and plenty of passion with my lovely wife. You have plenty to be thankful for so put a big smile on you face. I think it's great that you are taking the time to evaluate your blessings as well as some things you want to change. Great time to stop smoking and start exercisng. Work and exercise are very different. Encouraging your wife to routinely exercise will help keep her healthy as the years go by. You can dwell on getting older and get depressed or just accept the process and do your best to enjoy each day.
      Regarding exercise I like to joke around and say lift heavy or go home, but there is nothing wrong with any form of exercise that you do on a regular basis. I also recommend you and your wife take is slow in the beginning so you do not get injured or end up so sore that you dread going back. Have a great birthday and feel like a winner being with people who love you and care about you. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
        I can't say I looking forward to this birthday. I am thankful to have my intelligent beautiful daughter and to have the love of my life my wife . I do feel like my life is moving by so fast . But I guess that's how life goes ? I do have some plans for 30 1.) Quit smoking I been smoking 1-1/2 packs a day for 15 years. 2.) Join the local gym with my wife and get into a routine going in the morning before work.3.) Make more time for my wife and daughter so I am not always out working . I do feel like I have worked the last 12 years away this will always be a challenge for me but I think its possible if I just Sechudle time for us . I know a lot of you have been there done that what do guys have to say about 30.

Thanks !

Doug
        Its easy to get carried away in a gym and with exercise. I suggest getting a complete physical from your Dr. before you start. Muscle conditions faster than ligaments and tendons and just because you can lift the weight doesn't mean your connective tissues can. Take a couple months to condition your joints and learn the proper way to lift weights. Most people try to do too much too fast...and others dont do enough. It can be difficult to find a balance. Repetitive use injury can be an issue when you do physical labor at work and exercise......its sneaky too...it can mascarade as being normal soreness form working out.

Remember these things.......drink plenty of water,sleep,plenty of antioxidents such as fruits and vegtables,use proper form and do not try to lift more weight than you can control easily,always use a spotter incase you get in trouble...mechanical or alive person.

Controlling the weight through the entire exercise and lifting slow will develop your joints and connective tissues faster and help protect against injury.

Happy birthday. 30 yr old is a great age......if you have never weight trained before and ate a proper diet......you will feel better at 30 than you ever have in your life. Bet the farm on it.

Comment

As far as working out I don't plan on any weight training. My goal is to first get in to a good body weight resistance training push ups, pull ups, sit ups, running , etc. Something along the line of a basic military pt routine . I have always done too much with weights and end.up getting hurt . and would be scared more than ever with.having the business that I would not be able to work due to some weight lifting injury. But may consider it later after I am back in shape also hope breathing improves after three months at least it did 3 years ago when I quit for three months I also noticed my hands and feet did not fall asleep as fast as when I was smoking.

Comment

As far as working out I don't plan on any weight training. My goal is to first get in to a good body weight resistance training push ups, pull ups, sit ups, running , etc. Something along the line of a basic military pt routine . I have always done too much with weights and end.up getting hurt . and would be scared more than ever with.having the business that I would not be able to work due to some weight lifting injury. But may consider it later after I am back in shape also hope breathing improves after three months at least it did 3 years ago when I quit for three months I also noticed my hands and feet did not fall asleep as fast as when I was smoking.
            That's a smart plan. Plenty of healthy, tough guys do just that and you can do pushup and other such exercises almost anywhere. One of the benefits of going to a gym is the focus on exercise without distraction such as the phone or children. Try your best to quit smoking for good this time, think of the ones you love, you want to be around and healthy for them too.

Comment

Not sure about 30...only 26. Just quit smoking myself...for the 12th time. Try TRX for working out. http://www.trxtraining.com/ It really works and I have mine hanging from a heavy bag stand. Works great.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

doug, happy 30th.

i found that the everyday workout from plumbing is all that it takes to stay strong. it's the married life that's added 20#

never smoked or drank more than soda and shakes and other than a 1 year health club membership, the only time i see the gym is when the plumbing goes out, like yesterday

between the lifting pipe, digging ditches and physical work, the gym is more of a social hangout and a place for office workers than for people in the trades.

spend the time with your child and wife

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Hitting the 30 year mark. Nothing left but the decent now you old fart! Welcome to being past your shelf life like the rest of us! Hit 32 last month myself.

As for an exercise routine, you should look into the P90X program. The Air Force offers this program for free for service members, and I have seen those in great need of weight training have very positive results. Keep in mind, this program does require a fair amount of discipline.

Comment

Happy birthday, I hope you have a good day,

I wish you the best of luck in accomplishing your goals,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Happy Birthday Doug. The most important thing you can do is quit smoking. I'm proud of you to have that goal. I quit chewing 15 years ago and know how tough nicotine is to kick. I can also tell you it will be a life long battle but you can do it! Thirty is a great time in your life. You are maturing as a person the kids are getting to an age where you can hang out with them and they still think you're cool. You're still young enough to go out and have a good time without regreting it for days.

Enjoy your birthday and look forward to a good life ahead!
                      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Comment

Thanks !

Doug

Doug, life is (hopefully) a long slow decline into decrepitude. At this point you already know that one day is much the same as the next, and that changes in your life and lifestyle will come slowly and inexorably. 30, 31, 40 whatever. It's all essentially the same. Just suck up and enjoy all the moments you can with those you love and ignore people who irritate.

Happy birfday!!!
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

You are young.strong and dilligently focused.
                            Take care and nurture the relationships of the loved ones.

By thirty I had already finished with the Rockstar plumber gig and entertained town drunk status for the next ten.

I been to the top,I been to the bottom.

It's those that care about you,It's those that you care about that matter.
                            With this the business becomes easier to deal with.

Smoking is theft of an investment your loved ones put into you.(little harsh).

Happy Birthday
                            Your doing great
                            Adam

Comment

Happy Birthday
                              the best thing you could do is quit smoking i did it cold turkey 21 years ago now im over weight but im working on that and im 47
                              quit smoking for you kids i did
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X