Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Medicare Doom Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Medicare Doom

    call me crazy "I am" I'd either like to see them make it a socialized system, or set common sense based pricing limits. if your overhead is so high that you have to charge more than your customers can afford, you go out of business, unless you're in health care "or the auto and airline industries." My wife had a laproscopy last year, the total cost was 10k, of which with my old insurance I owed 3k. after already paying 500 a month to have my wife and daughter insured. 10k and we were in the hospital for 4 hours, 1.5 hours of which was waiting for her turn, and 2 hours for recovery before being released. I understand that they do have high overhead costs, but that's a little absurd.

    oh, and the laproscopy found nothing, because they didn't make the examination at a close enough distance.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Medicare Doom

      I used to say such things jokingly, but not anymore and I'll tell you why. The fact is that a lot of people can't pay anything towards the cost of their healthcare, and even folks like myself with good insurance really can't cover the cost of healthcare. The tests, procedures, surgeries and life prolonging things such as dialysis are simply too expensive. We must face the harsh ugly truth that while modern medicine can prolong life, and round the clock caregivers can help insure necessary care for some, our society can not afford the bill. I believe the day is growing near when we will have to pick and choose to a greater degree than now, who gets the care and to what extent.

      I think our freedoms have to a certain extent created a very unhealthy and economically unsound atmosphere. I am not being racist when I suggest women should not be allowed to give birth if they cannot pay to support their child. Why do taxpayers have to reward women and their partners in crime for not being responsible? We don't have to give up enjoying a few drinks and eating well to eliminate something as unhealthy as cigarettes, which lead to all sorts of diseases further crowding our hospitals and burdening the healthcare system.

      I have plenty of people in mind when I think of assisted suicide, and limiting healthcare. I think of all the folks I loved who lived and suffered way beyond what should have been their time on this earth. I myself had several life saving surgeries as a child and they allowed me to see my fifties, but I accept I am not immortal. How long must a person live and at what cost?
      Do we sacrifice the few to save the many? What happened to natural death? I apologize in advance if my views offend folks who believe in life at all cost.
      Last edited by Frankiarmz; 05-03-2011, 11:39 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Medicare Doom

        Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        .

        Why do taxpayers have to reward women and their partners in crime for not being responsible? We don't have to give up enjoying a few drinks and eating well to eliminate something as unhealthy as cigarettes, which lead to all sorts of diseases further crowding our hospitals and burdening the healthcare system.

        I apologize in advance if my views offend folks who believe in life at all cost.
        Eating unhealthy is just as bad for your body as cigarettes. Obesity causes just as much medical problems as a puff of smoke....but I understand what you're saying. We can say the same thing about alcohol and driving vehicles.

        For me personally, I don't want the government telling me what I can and can't eat, or if I'm allowed to have a cigarette. It all goes back to the first 3 words of the Constitution.."We the People"...we shall tell the Government what we are going to do, not the other way around. They work for us, we don't work for them.

        I'm Pro life as well, but I'm not obsessed over it.

        I just took Pre Cana classes back in the fall, and they preach the importance of having children. However, the Catholic church (at least this Priest said) believes you should not live beyond your means either so you can afford to bring a life into this world. So I absolutely agree with you on that.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Medicare Doom

          Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          I used to say such things jokingly, but not anymore and I'll tell you why. The fact is that a lot of people can't pay anything towards the cost of their healthcare, and even folks like myself with good insurance really can't cover the cost of healthcare. The tests, procedures, surgeries and life prolonging things such as dialysis are simply too expensive. We must face the harsh ugly truth that while modern medicine can prolong life, and round the clock caregivers can help insure necessary care for some, our society can not afford the bill. I believe the day is growing near when we will have to pick and choose to a greater degree than now, who gets the care and to what extent.

          I think our freedoms have to a certain extent created a very unhealthy and economically unsound atmosphere. I am not being racist when I suggest women should not be allowed to give birth if they cannot pay to support their child. Why do taxpayers have to reward women and their partners in crime for not being responsible? We don't have to give up enjoying a few drinks and eating well to eliminate something as unhealthy as cigarettes, which lead to all sorts of diseases further crowding our hospitals and burdening the healthcare system.

          I have plenty of people in mind when I think of assisted suicide, and limiting healthcare. I think of all the folks I loved who lived and suffered way beyond what should have been their time on this earth. I myself had several life saving surgeries as a child and they allowed me to see my fifties, but I accept I am not immortal. How long must a person live and at what cost?
          Do we sacrifice the few to save the many? What happened to natural death? I apologize in advance if my views offend folks who believe in life at all cost.
          I don`t know how much your medicare costs but here in Australia we pay percentage out of our income when we pay our taxes and I pay for private health insurance to get into hospital faster medicare pays for hospital and part of the doctors bill but what is happening now is the doctors are charging what they call out of pocket expences which is above the recommended medicare charges which is making it impossible to budget for an operation doctors here are becoming millionairs out of our health system which is wrong the doctors of old could diagnose without all these tests but now pathology is where the money is and is unsustainable.
          I don`t know how old the rest of you are but when you get to sixty you will have a totally different attitude towards life and valve it so I hope it never comes to the fact and a knock on the door by government that your time is up because your old and you have become a burden on society

          Tony

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Medicare Doom

            Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Been reading, watching, listening. Have a friend or two in the medical industry. One specifically involved with aging adults.

            You know how the real estate/housing/mortgage industry had all pieces in place to have happen well.......what happened.

            Looks like Medicare is in the same position.

            Here's the first problem. Adults are living longer and have been convinced that "I payed in all of these years, I deserve what I payed in now."

            They did pay in for 30, 40, 50 years. Problem is with the rising costs of the industry along with people living longer, they didn't pay near enough. Last detailed study I heard was that the average use dollars of an aging citizen is 3 times what they have payed into the system. They are using 3 dollars for every 1 they payed in.

            Been going for years but kept quiet. How did it sustain? Their kids were paying for it. Which leads to the second problem.

            People are not having as many children. You can figure out the rest.

            And the next problem. Elected officials in control of Medicares operation are scared to death to touch it because people have been taught and feel they are entitled to it. There will be no reasoning with them even with hard facts because the government screws up so many other things. Why believe this? So the elected will do nothing but protect themselves while it gets bigger, and bigger, and bigger.

            Finally, the person I know working with older adults says he sees constantly them demanding more unnecessary tests, checkups, medications, and being seen for the smallest thing. Because Medicare takes care of a good portion of it. Plus, for some reason, he feels for alot of them it is there "thing" to do. Like younger people going to Starbucks at a discount payed for by the government. "Going to the doctor today. Me too! Wanna' ride together? Hey look, there's Jim!"

            There will be one or two elected officials or someone running that will try to address it. They will be villainized by the opposing party and the older generation.

            Just seems like the perfect storm coming.

            Had to get that off of my mind. Thanks.


            J.C.
            Now you will hear from a senior.
            First, we did pay in enough. Unfortunately, Congress (in their wonderful wisdom) skimmed off the interest over those 30 to 50 years and used it for pork projects. As far as seniors demanding "more unnecessary tests, etc." I can only speak for my own situation. I am constantly getting calls to have this test or checkup, but I am from the old school and I don't believe in running to the clinic every time I get a sniffle or my bones ache. ( I am getting older and I know these things happen) What I have had for service paid by Medicare since I have been on it amounts to about $200 a year. Now I know that there are many others that have had much, much more, but there is also many like me. I don't think you can lump us all in one basket. I also think the medical world needs to shoulder their share of the blame. They used to say "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning". Now it is "Oh we need a MIR, CAT scan, colonoscopy, blood test and anything else they can think of" . (Of course, I suppose I can't blame them--the lawyer is sitting in the parking lot, waiting to pounce)

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Medicare Doom

              Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Here's the first problem. Adults are living longer and have been convinced that "I payed in all of these years, I deserve what I payed in now."

              They did pay in for 30, 40, 50 years. Problem is with the rising costs of the industry along with people living longer, they didn't pay near enough. Last detailed study I heard was that the average use dollars of an aging citizen is 3 times what they have payed into the system. They are using 3 dollars for every 1 they payed in.

              And the next problem. Elected officials .

              J.C.
              First I do think there are entitled to it, the day congress passed it, and the first time money was with held or they payed in, they entered a contract with the federal government for the benefits it would produce when they reached the age of "entitlement". of benefits

              NOW should rules change, (i do not know, may be they should be, and may be they should not be), most likely benefits were added over the years,

              the Elected officials "borrowed the money that was supposed to be there" STOLE it in other words,
              and now that were continuing to borrow at a 1/3 more than what the Feds take in there is no way of repaying the fund to proper levels, the same with social security, (the truth is many past Congress persons should be tried for theft of government moneys held in trust for the people, and imprisoned and striped of all benefits they awarded them selves) for the thievery they participated in.

              Basically the situation that exists now is a Ponzi scheme, due to taking the reserve monies out of the systems, and safely investing that money,

              much of the cost of medical care are regulation and rule and law induced, and if real tort reform took place would help a lot as well, (and will agree many unnecessary procedures and things are done for many) that do not name any sense, but many times are done so some one does not get sued or just for the reimbursement from the government,
              (I do not know how one eliminates fraud in this area),
              Last edited by BHD; 05-04-2011, 10:03 AM.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Medicare Doom

                Originally posted by BHD View Post
                First I do think there are entitled to it, the day congress passed it, and the first time money was with held or they payed in, they entered a contract with the federal government for the benefits it would produce when they reached the age of "entitlement". of benefits

                NOW should rules change, (i do not know, may be they should be, and may be they should not be), most likely benefits were added over the years,

                the Elected officials "borrowed the money that was supposed to be there" STOLE it in other words,
                and now that were continuing to borrow at a 1/3 more than what the Feds take in there is no way of repaying the fund to proper levels, the same with social security, (the truth is many past Congress persons should be tried for theft of government moneys held in trust for the people, and imprisoned and striped of all benefits they awarded them selves) for the thievery they participated in.

                Basically the situation that exists now is a Ponzi scheme, due to taking the reserve monies out of the systems, and safely investing that money,

                much of the cost of medical care are regulation and rule and law induced, and if real tort reform took place would help a lot as well, (and will agree many unnecessary procedures and things are done for many) that do not name any sense, but many times are done so some one does not get sued or just for the reimbursement from the government,
                (I do not know how one eliminates fraud in this area),
                I just pushed the "Thanks" button!
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                Comment

                Working...
                X