X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medicare Doom

Been reading, watching, listening. Have a friend or two in the medical industry. One specifically involved with aging adults.

You know how the real estate/housing/mortgage industry had all pieces in place to have happen well.......what happened.

Looks like Medicare is in the same position.

Here's the first problem. Adults are living longer and have been convinced that "I payed in all of these years, I deserve what I payed in now."

They did pay in for 30, 40, 50 years. Problem is with the rising costs of the industry along with people living longer, they didn't pay near enough. Last detailed study I heard was that the average use dollars of an aging citizen is 3 times what they have payed into the system. They are using 3 dollars for every 1 they payed in.

Been going for years but kept quiet. How did it sustain? Their kids were paying for it. Which leads to the second problem.

People are not having as many children. You can figure out the rest.

And the next problem. Elected officials in control of Medicares operation are scared to death to touch it because people have been taught and feel they are entitled to it. There will be no reasoning with them even with hard facts because the government screws up so many other things. Why believe this? So the elected will do nothing but protect themselves while it gets bigger, and bigger, and bigger.

Finally, the person I know working with older adults says he sees constantly them demanding more unnecessary tests, checkups, medications, and being seen for the smallest thing. Because Medicare takes care of a good portion of it. Plus, for some reason, he feels for alot of them it is there "thing" to do. Like younger people going to Starbucks at a discount payed for by the government. "Going to the doctor today. Me too! Wanna' ride together? Hey look, there's Jim!"

There will be one or two elected officials or someone running that will try to address it. They will be villainized by the opposing party and the older generation.

Just seems like the perfect storm coming.

Had to get that off of my mind. Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Medicare Doom

Don't forget, the numbers for Obamacare is based on a $500,000,000 cut in MediCare.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Unfortunately, I hope it collapses so people wake the hell up. The Dems will never touch it, because it's a slush fund for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Don't forget, the numbers for Obamacare is based on a $500,000,000 cut in MediCare.

Mark
        I don't know how that magic can happen.

Perfect storm man.

Prices have to go down, people have to have more kids, people have to die sooner, or.....we have to start paying 3 times as much into it all.

Which do you think is the most likely to happen?

J.C.

Comment

This is not something you can judge from a far or depend on others for good information. You need to spend time in a nursing home, hospital and doctors office. First it hits you how many elderly people there are and how many are in poor health. Get closer, learn more and realize the enormous amout of money paid for operations, tests,procedures, medications and caregivers. Medicare or not the elderly are a burden on our failing society. They cannot afford the level of care necessary to sustain their lives and neither can we. Please, have the guts to say what you know is the truth. There needs to be realistic and humane guidelines governing the level of healthcare applied to senior citizens.

Modern medicine may be able to prolong life, but we cannot afford the bill. Mdeicare/medicaid is not the problem it is the inability of our society to recognize a problem and deal with it sensibly. Flat out deny certain operations, procedures, medications, treatments and costly care! Offer a humane and respectful death by doctor asisted suicide.

Avoid more problems down the road by limiting the number of children a woman can have. We have unwed mothers who have one child after another to increase their taxpayer provided income. This too must stop. Institute mandatory birth control, get control over your out of hand irresponsible society. All our doom, economic, medicare, whatever, is the result of poor planning and the refusal to identify a problem and address it!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Avoid more problems down the road by limiting the number of children a woman can have. We have unwed mothers who have one child after another to increase their taxpayer provided income. This too must stop. Institute mandatory birth control, get control over your out of hand irresponsible society. All our doom, economic, medicare, whatever, is the result of poor planning and the refusal to identify a problem and address it!
            Some in this country would take and twist your words that you were making a racist statement. Just saying.

But I agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              Some in this country would take and twist your words that you were making a racist statement. Just saying.

But I agree with you.
              I know that, but it comes down to what is happening for a fact and what needs to be done to stop it! Black, white, hispanic or anything else, if taxpayers are paying you to not work and have children it needs to stop. Same goes for keeping the elderly alive. Sounds harsh but it needs to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                I don't know how that magic can happen.

Perfect storm man.

Prices have to go down, people have to have more kids, people have to die sooner, or.....we have to start paying 3 times as much into it all.

Which do you think is the most likely to happen?

J.C.
                How about Government gets out of the healthcare business?

Govt will, no matter what, head down a path of ever-worsening but more costly care. All socialized, gov't medical programs get there eventually. In the US, we're particularly skilled so it won't take long.

We don't actually have medical insurance in the US. What we have with all the comprehensive health plans is a redistribution of wealth scheme - a ponzi scheme, really. It makes no sense to me. All we've accomplished is that now we have to support insurance companies in addition to the health care industry. Costs will never go own in this scenario.

I think there should be NO comprehensive medical "insurance". Everyone should pay for their own medical care. Costs will go down. The *only* insurance that should be legal should be major medical. This is true insurance, because only a fraction of the population contracts cancer, heart failure, etc.

This idea will never fly because there is a substantial part of the public that has been brainwashed into thinking that everyone has a "right" to healthcare. I don't see that in the Constitution, and see no evidence of it historically. It may sound callous, but healthcare is no different from food or shelter or any other necessity of life. You buy what you can afford according to your ability to pay. The whole notion of govt in healthcare, and everyone somehow having a "right" to it, *IS* the problem. Obamacare, all 6000 pages of it, was written by the insurance companies. I doub if even Pelosi read the thing. Of course, I doubt if Pelosi can actually read....

Comment

Part of the problem is running a business with a law degree.

Comment

Jesus Christ. Our elderly deserve life more then you deserve money.
                    Last edited by Abbott; 05-02-2011, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                      Cool down buddy, we are not saying grandma needs to be taken out behind the barn....

What needs to be addressed is that just because we can keep someone breathing for 20 years while in a coma, with little to no brain function, does it make it right?

People need to quit looking at healthcare like little kids in a candy store. Just because you paid your deductible for the year doesn't mean its free procedures just cuz its free for the rest of the year. I know plenty of people young and old that do that bull shiat.

Comment

I am cool...and our elderly deserve the best. I am not talking extreme cases (as you are) I am talking about having great respect for our elderly. I visit nursing homes on a regular basis and the folks (lives) there are precious and much more important then money.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                          60 % of Medicare dollars are spent on the last 9 months of the people's lives. When 75 year old, 240 pound women are getting knee and hip replacements, something is wrong.
                          This is the type of stuff Obama was speaking of when the crazies started on him about killing off the old people. At some point, limits need to be set, hopefully, someone with more nuts than Obama will come along and do it before they have to say, "sorry, we have no money. If you wouldn't have spent so much time at (insert restuarant of your choice), maybe you wouldn't need the quadruple by-pass. If you care to receive the bill, we will be glad to set up an appointment." That will be $200,00 paid in advance.

Comment

After reading a couple of these posts, it makes me wonder if there's a bit of thought in there about bringing those rumored "Death Panels" into reality! You got some particular neighbors or relatives in mind or something? (Naw, I'm sure you just watched a rerun of either "Soylent Green" or maybe "Logan's Run" )

But seriously, I do have to agree that everybody needs to pay for their healthcare, at least in some part. I'm not at all opposed to "co-pays" and I think everybody should be responsible to some extent for thier medical visit. Perhaps we could come up with something really fair.... like having your visit co-pay based on a percentage of your income!!! (Obiously that wouldn't fly, and of course I'm joking but then again, should health care and living and dying and the pain in between be a consideration of your "wealth"... I don't think so, but a couple of posts appear to lean that way.)

Problem with health care is that it has become extremely profitable! The population of city in which I live has gone down steadily in the last thirty or so years. I grew up, moved away, and now in my retirement I'm moving back. But one of the things I've noticed is that despite the population, the medical industry has increased beyond belief. We used to have maybe a half dozen pharmacies that everybody within 20-30 miles used to go to. Today, there's practically every few blocks. Similarly, we used to have three hospitals and all the doctors in the area were pretty much independants (they even made housecall.... oops, that sure "dates" me!).

Today we still have those three hospitals; one has stagnated, but the other two have more than quadrupled in size and are still undergoing expansion. Medical Centers (specialties) did not exist 30 years ago... but today they are everywhere and there's still new places under construction. This place used to be the home of IBM, Singer-Link, Ansco, Endicott-Johnson, and several other industries... these are all gone and today the medical industry IS the main employer! That simply doesn't happen out of loving care; it happens because it is where the money is.

One would think that the insurance companies would be keeping tabs on rising expenses, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Over the last three decades, I've questioned medical charges on a regular basis and brought them to the attention of my insurance company. Sadly, I'm usually met with a "none of my business" attitude. While it's always courteous, it never gets addressed and the bills are always paid quickly. For example: Years ago my wife was in the hospital for three days. She saw her doctor only once, but he billed the insurance company for multiple visits. When we pointed that out, we were told that the doctor did not charge for anything that the insurance wouldn't pay for.

I suffered a neck injury and as soon as I could get back up and start to be mobile again, I was sent to physical therapy, three-times a week. Each session consisted of 10 minutes ultrasonic massage and then 20 minutes of having a hot towel on my neck. This was a major center in Corning (part of Guthrie, the largest medical provider in our area). The cost for about forty-minutes: $285! I spoke to my doctor about this and to the insurance company. The latter's response was that it was within guidelines. My appraisal was that it was ridiculous and I refused to go! (Today I visit my chiropractor on a monthly basis, when my neck is "acting up".... he spends about the same time, with similar therapy, except he adds manipulation, massage and stretching. His charge to medicare is $29 for the same service!

Last summer I had some chest discomfort. My Doc, gave me an exam, including a treadmill stress test. His diagnosis wasn't conclusive (his charge was about $140). He sent me to the hospital for an "echo stress" and when that didn't find anything conclusive, I then was told I needed a "Nuclear" stress test. Their bill came to over $9,000! I just about died from the shock! The really sad thing was that in their itemization of the bill there was one part where they showed that Medicare would pay $4100... that part of the hospital bill came up to about $3200, and then they just nonchalantly added the price differance as a "Misc". I called Medicare and the hospital. I haven't heard anything back... so I figured they just got paid.

I've had a discussion with a couple of doctors regarding the so-called "Obamacare". Neither like it, even though they admittedly will make more money because of it. Biggest problem for them will simply be that it will be overload, and they can't handle the patient-load that they currently have. And of course, as many of you point out, everybody will be going for even the slightest aches and pains. "FREE" simply will overload and kill what is already a fragile system, from a staffing point of view.

I think this whole medical industry needs to be brought under tight control from a billing/financial point of view. Certainly any business is intitled to make a profit, but to what extent and at what point is this medical industry going way overboard with it's unbridled profit. Maybe Exxon should start opening it's own medical centers too as a way to diversify.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                              I've had a discussion with a couple of doctors regarding the so-called "Obamacare". Neither like it, even though they admittedly will make more money because of it. Biggest problem for them will simply be that it will be overload, and they can't handle the patient-load that they currently have. And of course, as many of you point out, everybody will be going for even the slightest aches and pains. "FREE" simply will overload and kill what is already a fragile system, from a staffing point of view.
                              I asked my family doctor what she thought about Obamacare, and her and the other doctors in that practice are very against it. But she said that they will actually lose money because the government will determine what is paid out, and she also said about being overloaded like you stated. She's actually thinking about retiring because of it, but I agree with you that everyone in this country needs to pay their fair share for healthcare coverage. Obama care has some common sense ideas, but I'm against it because of the individual mandate.

Comment

Working...
                              X