Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wants to help with my math homework?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who wants to help with my math homework?

    Question 1

    What is the overall revenue from the sale of water less the operating expense for 1
    month (30 days) from the following problem?

    The average gpcd for a town of 12,000 people was calculated out to be 175. The
    overall efficiency of the well’s pump and motor is 70% and the kW-Hr rate for
    electricity is $0.10. The well has a pumping level of 58 feet with a drawdown of 20
    feet and is pumping against a constant head pressure of 125 psi. Last year the annual
    maintenance expense for the well was $5,500. The well is also equipped with a
    chlorinator that doses the well to 1.5 ppm. The 65% calcium hypochlorite costs $1.68
    per pound. The consumer cost for one unit of water (CCF) is $0.85. (Assume the
    well is operating 24 hours per day)

    Thanks in advance


    Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

  • #2
    Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

    Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    Question 1

    What is the overall revenue from the sale of water less the operating expense for 1
    month (30 days) from the following problem?

    The average gpcd for a town of 12,000 people was calculated out to be 175. The
    overall efficiency of the well’s pump and motor is 70% and the kW-Hr rate for
    electricity is $0.10. The well has a pumping level of 58 feet with a drawdown of 20
    feet and is pumping against a constant head pressure of 125 psi. Last year the annual
    maintenance expense for the well was $5,500. The well is also equipped with a
    chlorinator that doses the well to 1.5 ppm. The 65% calcium hypochlorite costs $1.68
    per pound. The consumer cost for one unit of water (CCF) is $0.85. (Assume the
    well is operating 24 hours per day)

    Thanks in advance


    Mark

    What is the rated Amp Draw of the Pump? Attempting to solve for electrical usage or should I assume after solving for everything else that what is left is the electrical cost

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

      www.wolframalpha.com
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

        As we've told other would-be apprentices. Don't come on here asking Masters to do your homework for you.

        You can do it. Close the Facebook window.


        J.C.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

          Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          What is the rated Amp Draw of the Pump? Attempting to solve for electrical usage or should I assume after solving for everything else that what is left is the electrical cost
          LOL - All the info you need is there. I just finished the answer but it drives me crazy that there are so many operations.

          Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

            I'd help you, but that would only encourage cheating!
            I love my plumber

            "My Hero"

            Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

              mark, do you really want to know the answer from us.

              wait til i see the instructor tomorrow in s.m. at the jobsite. if he puts you and i together, you will fail.

              i sure hope he doesn't read the forum.

              rick.
              phoebe it is

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

                For gross revenue, I have $71,590.91 12000*175*30/748*.85.
                maint exp= ($458.33) 5500/12
                calcium exp= ($906.14) 12000*175*30*8.33/1500000*1.68/.65

                I am scratchin' my head on the elect. cost for pump.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

                  70% & .10


                  j.c.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

                    Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
                    For gross revenue, I have $71,590.91 12000*175*30/748*.85.
                    maint exp= ($458.33) 5500/12
                    calcium exp= ($906.14) 12000*175*30*8.33/1500000*1.68/.65

                    I am scratchin' my head on the elect. cost for pump.
                    That's why I asked for the KW usage (amp draw) of the pump and Mark said I have everything I need to answer the question ( We may need to estimate the size of the pump based on the characteristics provided).... My Uncle is the VP and lead rate negotiator for a water supplier in NJ so I'm gonna just email this question to him...

                    Mark, If ya want tutoring should have you an answer from the regulators tomorrow....

                    ... Question sent
                    Last edited by OkieBill; 05-04-2011, 11:23 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

                      Sorry, math was never my strong point. But it seems like there is 4-5 different equations in there that need to be solved before you get your answer.
                      Ideal Plumbing

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

                        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        mark, do you really want to know the answer from us.

                        wait til i see the instructor tomorrow in s.m. at the jobsite. if he puts you and i together, you will fail.

                        i sure hope he doesn't read the forum.

                        rick.
                        The guy who runs City of Santa Monica Water is my Advanced Water Distribution class. This question is for my Advanced Water Math.

                        Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

                          Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
                          For gross revenue, I have $71,590.91 12000*175*30/748*.85.
                          maint exp= ($458.33) 5500/12
                          calcium exp= ($906.14) 12000*175*30*8.33/1500000*1.68/.65

                          I am scratchin' my head on the elect. cost for pump.
                          You're definitely the closest. For the electric you first have to figure out how many horsepower are required.

                          Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

                            Okay I needed to do a quick trip to Las Vegas and Utah but I am back now. Below is/are the answer/s

                            Gross revenue = $71,590.91

                            Cost of electric = $9,775.56 (182 HP pump)

                            Cost of Calcium Hypochlorite = $2,037.02

                            Cost of maintenance = $458.33

                            Net Revenue = $59,319.98

                            Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Who wants to help with my math homework?

                              I made an error on the parts per million.
                              Here is my new calc.
                              (12000*175*30*8.34lbs of water)/1000000*1.5 (1.5ppm) *1.68/.65 (cost per pound)=$2037.01

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X