X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum improvements

I have noticed that a lot of people are complaining about the new look of the forum and some features that are no longer.

I'm wondering if we can have a single thread where everyone can say what changes specifically they don't like and maybe we can have the most popular items addressed?

BUT please, please, please, let's keep it short and to the point and no bashing the new forum look/design.

For me it would be:

- "Thanks" system
    - Larger usernames (the smaller size is a bit annoying sometimes)

And I think that's about it for now.

Anyone else?
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: Forum improvements

I experience no advantage with the new forum design. In fact, I currently am experiencing some learning curve disadvantages. For example, where are the "smilies"? I find myself less drawn to this site, and have stuff to post but haven't bothered. I don't see a way to load pics anymore although it can clearly be done.

BTW: This last week I removed a feature from a lavatory in an old mansion. I removed the "ice water" supply line from a powder room lavatory. Ever see one of those? I haven't. I would share the pics but alas....

Why "fix" that which wasn't broken and what exactly has improved? What's better?
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Miss the "Thanks" button.
      No more Give Us Your Tool Ideas forum, where did it go or should we take our ideas elsewhere?
      It looks like the Safety forum fell off the RADAR screen as often happens.
      Generally I am seeing zero gain as an enduser of the forum and my lack of involvement in recent days reflects that, not because I have been busy with other things.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have found the forum improvements all show and no substance what is called smoke and mirrors just trying to get the smiling face is pot luck you press reply and no smiling faces but when you press reply with quote you get access to smiling faces but times you don`t want to quote a post whoever disgned this new forum dosen`t know its members and isn`t as enjoyable as it was.

Tony

Comment

I'll let you know what I think in a month after Admin has had time to work out a few bugs. Until then, no comment!
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

bring back,
            1. thanks
            2. agree
            3. todays post, i really miss that one
            4. smileys, easy access to them and a better 15 preview
            5. who's viewed your post
            6. others? to come
            rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              bring back,
              1. thanks
              2. agree
              6. others? to come
              rick.

yes when your signed in the "todays post " are not an option but when your signed out its an option. First time I've ever seen being signed out gives me more information about a forum than being signed in. Strange indeed.

Comment

I agree:

Bring back:
                1. Thanks (FOR SURE!)
                2. Smilies
                3. Septic System Discussion

Comment

This is still confusing to me. I have yet to figure out what the heck is up with the color scheme and the icons used for the post subjects. For example, this particular one (and many others) are showing as gray-colored "closed envelopes".... which I would normally consider as old and past read. Yet, they are just posted today and I haven't read any of them.

About the only thing that tells me anything, is to read the dates and times... the color scheme is thus far meaningless, as is the various symbols. Perhaps the latter just aren't accurate!?

Thus far, I don't see any of this as "Improvements"... it's just wasting a lot of time and giving me a headache trying to figure out what the devil has happened to my favorite forum.

Bottom line is that it is now more a PIA than anything else and I'm wondering why this has turned out to be so annoying? Maybe I should just drop back and return in another week or so and see what, if anything has been figured out here. (So far the only positive improvement I see it the "spelling check")... and, BTW what's with the "Post Quick Reply".... is there a another kind of reply?

So far it isn't a happy experience

CWS

Comment

I actually got used to it instantly, and I was one of the first critics before it happened.

I like the quick reply design, seems I didn't use it before but do now.

And I'm 5 months pregnant.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I agree with Rick, we lost a lot of good things. The Forum feels very impersonal now, distant in a way. Personally, I think the Obama administration got to it because we were stirring the pot way too much. Yep, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" come true. I'm not one to be paranoid but it's clear the word was given to dismantle this well oiled machine. Anybody here see my old friend John? Can you tell me where he's gone? Yeah, "Once there was a way to get back home"! Please, "Take me home country roads, to the place I recall". I'd like to know, "What becomes of the broken hearted?".

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        bring back,
                        1. thanks
                        2. agree
                        6. others? to come
                        rick.
                        Thank you will be coming next week. Was suppose to get it done on Friday, but plans changed. The smilies can be accessed through the "advanced mode" when posting a reply. I can see if there is a way to add smilies to the quick reply poster. The today's posts is called "new posts" when logged in the second top navigation bar. When not logged in it is called todays posts. Basically the same thing, shows the most recent posts from the last couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                          This is still confusing to me. I have yet to figure out what the heck is up with the color scheme and the icons used for the post subjects. For example, this particular one (and many others) are showing as gray-colored "closed envelopes".... which I would normally consider as old and past read. Yet, they are just posted today and I haven't read any of them.

About the only thing that tells me anything, is to read the dates and times... the color scheme is thus far meaningless, as is the various symbols. Perhaps the latter just aren't accurate!?

Thus far, I don't see any of this as "Improvements"... it's just wasting a lot of time and giving me a headache trying to figure out what the devil has happened to my favorite forum.

Bottom line is that it is now more a PIA than anything else and I'm wondering why this has turned out to be so annoying? Maybe I should just drop back and return in another week or so and see what, if anything has been figured out here. (So far the only positive improvement I see it the "spelling check")... and, BTW what's with the "Post Quick Reply".... is there a another kind of reply?

So far it isn't a happy experience

CWS
                          The icon color scheme should be working fine. From what i have experience with the new vBulletin is that when there are new posts in a specific section the icon will be colored "not grey". Now this icon will not change to grey until you have viewed the new posts, or unless you click mark all posts read. Not exactly sure why this isn't working for you. Make sure you are refreshing the page to get the new updates.

About the quick reply. You can click advanced mode button on the bottom right of the quick reply box to bring up more options like smilies and such. Hope this helps.

Comment

Okay, I guess the gray and the blue are so close in color that I can't tell which is which. If I switch from my AOL browser to Google Chrome the color appears to be a little better defined. But, I'd hope that there should be better definition... I really don't like this faced gradient look, it just too hard to distinguish differences.

As far as the "smilies" are concerned, I know where they are... but, they are just not very distinquishable. I liked the other style where they appeared slightly larger and in the solid (and saturated) colors and not the current "gradient" look.

Thanks,

CWS
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 05-08-2011, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Admin, don't get me wrong, if you bring back thanks and a few things like that and once we all learn how to use it I think we'll like it. I actually think the overall layout of the forums/threads is simpler to view. The reason I keep bringing up the septic discussion is because this was the ONLY FORUM I KNOW OF that had such a thing that was used by the general populace to ask questions about septics. Since Dane and Trent and I and a few other of the regulars here are in the septic service trade as well as sewer and drain cleaning, we lost the spot where we could discuss topics and equipment specific to our trade, and the Septic forum had been seeing quite a bit of activity in the last few months, more than some of the tool-specific forums, such as the Ridgid monitors forums and so forth. For instance, Trent posted a thread a while back in the septic forum asking if anyone used "CrustBusters." Good question, but if he had asked it in the Drain Cleaning Forum most of the guys there wouldn't have had a clue what he was talking about since it doesn't really deal with drain cleaning.

There is one other forum online that deals with septics, the Cole Publishing forums, but they are so totally unused that the public never finds them and they can go weeks without a single post. That's why I wish you would reinstate the septic discussion.

Anyway, if you decide that Ridgid doesn't need to be hosting septic discussions, I'll get over it, but some of us will still miss it.
                              Last edited by SewerRat; 05-08-2011, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X