• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conman Contractor Segment on Fox

Anyone else catch this last night?

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/inve...lions-20110505
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: Conman Contractor Segment on Fox

and now you why there are so many unlicensed trades people in california.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Suing this guy and throwing him in jail does no good imo. What this guy needs is an old fashion a$$ kicking that he will never ever forget.

Comment

It almost seems like "management" really doesn't care, nor do they find it a huge problem that this guy is bilking others of money completely.

What I cannot understand and this might answer even more questions, is why people seem so naive to people like this that prey upon others. How can you think a $2,000.00 paint job is deemed $23, 000.00?

Explain your statement Rick. Is it because the "licensed" ruin it for everyone else, so therefore they take their chances on the unlicensed?

And from what everyone states that lives there, the immigration is beating down the legit businesses horribly. Some to the point where moving out of the state is the only method.

I couldn't handle every trip to a job involving sitting in traffic. Too much windshield time. I cannot wait till driving becomes automated where you can operate your vehicle by computer, actually have a moving office/shop where you "can" work while the vehicle takes you from job site to job site, without harm or danger and you can get a lot done without operating the vehicle.

And no; I'm not drinking vodka before the kentucky derby.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          and now you why there are so many unlicensed trades people in california.

rick.
          Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
          It almost seems like "management" really doesn't care, nor do they find it a huge problem that this guy is bilking others of money completely.

What I cannot understand and this might answer even more questions, is why people seem so naive to people like this that prey upon others. How can you think a $2,000.00 paint job is deemed $23, 000.00?

Explain your statement Rick. Is it because the "licensed" ruin it for everyone else, so therefore they take their chances on the unlicensed?

And from what everyone states that lives there, the immigration is beating down the legit businesses horribly. Some to the point where moving out of the state is the only method.

I couldn't handle every trip to a job involving sitting in traffic. Too much windshield time. I cannot wait till driving becomes automated where you can operate your vehicle by computer, actually have a moving office/shop where you "can" work while the vehicle takes you from job site to job site, without harm or danger and you can get a lot done without operating the vehicle.

And no; I'm not drinking vodka before the kentucky derby.
          nope. what i'm saying is with all the corruption going on in this case and others, the contractors state license board/ cslb is doing nothing. therefore any unlicensed trade person can get away with murder since the cslb appearantly does things very very slow. do you really think they will go after the little guys when they get handed the big ones and do nothing?

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            nope. what i'm saying is with all the corruption going on in this case and others, the contractors state license board/ cslb is doing nothing. therefore any unlicensed trade person can get away with murder since the cslb appearantly does things very very slow. do you really think they will go after the little guys when they get handed the big ones and do nothing?

rick.

That is terribly unfortunate. The response of that fellow in the video, from the state seemed quite pathetic. It's almost like they intentionally don't want a fix or cure.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

What really pisses me off is that the CSLB didn't even have anything under the "additional status" that says what he is accused of doing until AFTER they were contacted by FOX about it.
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Interesting story.

I think the problem is everywhere though and being on the customer end of things I can't quite understand why stuff like this continues to exist. Here in the Binghamton, NY area I think I've met every crooked tradesman that there is. I confess that I'm not looking for a "contractor" in the manner that they broker other tradesman. I'd just like to have a contractor that isn't too busy to handle a homeowner's rennovation needs.

I've actually had a couple of guys come to the door drunk to give me estimates. I've had guys want to charge me for twice the materials and for things they simply did not do or use materials for. I generally don't quibble price, but when I get a painter who advertizes a certain price per room and then he quotes my 2800 sq ft house as if it was 30 rooms, I think I'm entitled to an explanation.

My BIL had a guy put two windows into his enclosed patio... and then bill him almost $2,000 "because of complications". Hey, it was a simple studded wall on a 6" slab with aluminum siding on the outside and cheap panelling on the inside. The quote was for $800. The windows weren't level or even with each other. When my BIL threatened to complain, the guy told him he'd slap him with a slander suit. Scared the he!! out of him and his wife.

I've complained to both the city and the county board and talked to a couple of union locals to see why these guys and others can't be registered, licensed or something; and nobody want to do anything as they feel it could infringe upon business and growth within the county. The State Attorney Generals office say they get hundreds of complaints about the such contractors and they simply can't do anything, because the local governments won't support any restrictions on who can or can't be in the business.

Out here in Steuben County (Corning, NY area) the situation is a bit better because the community is smaller. But, there aren't as many contractors either and some of them charge though the nose. I know I recently had to have a local plumber replace a single shutoff valve (my incoming water line).... right up front, it was $150 just to make the call. For the half-hour's work the total bill came to $225. I paid it without blinking, because that's simply how it is... there was nobody else available and I WON'T DO PLUMBING. But, it sure seems like a bit high when the local plumber charges me more than the Doctor does. (But my Doctor won't do plumbing either, so I guess we just have to pay the price!)

CWS

Comment

cw

just think the guy that charged you $225. he was the cheapest guy out there. as you said "there was nobody else available". breid...............

Comment

Re: cw

another $100.00 and you could have flown me there to do it

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Watch it Rick, one of these days you may just be taken up on that offer.
                      Charles

Comment

Working...
                      X