Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great "Pro-Press" AND "Viega " let down !!!!

I purchased a propress when they first came out yrs ago. I bought it for one project and its sat in the case for 99% of the Time I had it. Most of my work is done inside cleanrooms (yes cleanroom is one word) ) where flames and smoke are bad (not to mention chemicals everywhere) the propress was a perfect fit for this type of work. I bought it to plumb a chiller loop throughout the main lab. When the RIGID guys came out, it was all what can we do for you ...look how great, we can help you .... I was impressed.

At that time I asked about "CLEAN" fittings and valves since we use clean for oxygen fittings and pipe for all our process piping ( Clean Dry Air (CDA) , N2 and vacuum ) They said they were looking into it but it wasn't available because it was so new. I was recently touring another lab and noticed the piping was propress and wanted more information since I have a project I could really use them on here. I contacted RIGID, they said "We do not make any fittings, only the gun & jaws." That was it, nothing !! not a recommended list of co's that do, not one bit of help at all !!! So, I contacted the general at the project I toured, and he gave me the Viega name, so I contacted them for more help, after all they make them. This is what I received from THEM ! "Ron, we do not provide this, it is up to you to find a source for this. Why is this so hard? All I'm asking for is some support and data from the manufactures of a tool and supplies and no one seems to know whats going on ? The fittings are not just clean, the "O" rings have to be different because of the oil free dry air, plus Buna is a no no as well in cleanroom since it particulates and can contaminate product.

does anyone out there know anyone who is knowledgeable ? I'm in the Cleveland Ohio area.

Re: The great "Pro-Press" AND "Viega " let down !!!!

Cheven,
    I apologize for the confusing treatment it seems you've recieved. I suspect that the persons you've encountered were nervous about making a recommendation for a slew of possible (good) reasons...

While I don't have a perfect answer for you, I can at least try to explain the complexity of your question. As the tool manufacturer, RIDGID cannot "approve" the use of a specific fitting. We rely upon the fitting manufacturer to specify which tool can be used with their system. While that may seem like splitting hairs, its an important distinction. The fitting manufacturer has designed their fitting to be used for a specific application, whereas our tool is going to apply force to any fitting contained within the jaw (it doesn't discriminate - it crimps!). So, we have to defer to the fitting manufacturer's recommendation as to what tool can be used to make the press.

Having said that, we have a longstanding relationship with Viega. Together, our companies pioneered pressing in North America and we still maintain that relationship today. We highly encourage the use of Viega fittings as we are familiar with their quality and performance. Unfortunately, they do not currently make a press fitting designed for the purpose you describe. Honestly, I do not know of anyone who does, but I would hesitate to recommend another company given Viega's phenomenal track record.

We often learn a lot from listening to contractors on this Forum and take the feedback very seriously. I will pass your message along to my contacts within Viega. It sounds like this is something important to your job.

Comment

Here are some links also that have listings.

Powered by Google Docs

Powered by Google Docs

http://www.viega.net/cps/rde/xbcr/en...82PPBR0810.pdf

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

shouldn't be an issue. as long as the oxygen is non medical use, non liquid. then the standard epdm o-ring up to 140 psi or the propress g hnbr o-ring up to 200psi. 140 degrees max on either o-ring with non medical oxygen. the epdm o-ring is lubed with a silicone food grade lubricant from the factory.

nitrogen is up to 200psi with either o-ring.

clean dry air is 200psi and the epdm is good for up to 25 mg/m3 oil content and the hnbr is for greater than 25 mg/ m3 oil content.

vacuum is 29.2 inches of mercury max. either o- ring.

there is a third o-ring that you change in the field it's the fkm but not rated for oxygen.

now, don't necessarily take my words as the final word. all i'm doing is quoting from the viega pocket guide page 13 and 14.

you don't really think i know it all

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          shouldn't be an issue. as long as the oxygen is non medical use, non liquid. then the standard epdm o-ring up to 140 psi or the propress g hnbr o-ring up to 200psi. 140 degrees max on either o-ring with non medical oxygen. the epdm o-ring is lubed with a silicone food grade lubricant from the factory.

nitrogen is up to 200psi with either o-ring.

clean dry air is 200psi and the epdm is good for up to 25 mg/m3 oil content and the hnbr is for greater than 25 mg/ m3 oil content.

vacuum is 29.2 inches of mercury max. either o- ring.

there is a third o-ring that you change in the field it's the fkm but not rated for oxygen.

now, don't necessarily take my words as the final word. all i'm doing is quoting from the viega pocket guide page 13 and 14.

you don't really think i know it all

rick.
          'Just to confirm, we knew you didn't know.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i know more than most, but not as much as others

now you know the rest of the story.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I love it when things get restated.

J.C.

Comment

I think this is another case of it could be used but does not have the proper approvals to be used.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  I think this is another case of it could be used but does not have the proper approvals to be used.
                  Right ..It has to be cleaner than the joints we use to sillfloss for oxygen lines in hospitals..You would think
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

the reason it only has non medical oxygen and not human consumption medical oxygen is because medical gasses have to be 100% cavity free joints. since the propress doesn't seal the leading inner edge, it can't meet the requirements for medical oxygen. it has to do with the hygienics of the joint to prevent anything from collecting in the void left at the socket.

a typical brazed joint only requires 25% penetration of the filler rod. medical gas installation requires 100% penetration. not for strength, but for hygienics.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Did you know that, Google that, or just make it up, cause I thought I knew everything.
                      sigpic

Comment

Did you know that, Google that, or just make it up, cause I thought I knew everything.
                        Years ago I decided to quit competing with the Googling wack jobs.I have my own inadequacies to make up for in different ways.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          the reason it only has non medical oxygen and not human consumption medical oxygen is because medical gasses have to be 100% cavity free joints. since the propress doesn't seal the leading inner edge, it can't meet the requirements for medical oxygen. it has to do with the hygienics of the joint to prevent anything from collecting in the void left at the socket.

a typical brazed joint only requires 25% penetration of the filler rod. medical gas installation requires 100% penetration. not for strength, but for hygienics.

rick.
                          You know how you can tell it was off the top of his enormous head? Had he Googled it, he would have done a cut-n-paste and the capitalization would have been correct.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ha!
                            sigpic

Comment

i guess 4 years of union apprenticeship school and enjoying the classes that were taught by industry experts rubbed off.

propress was not around back then, but medical gas classes were. the 100% penetration is required not for strength, but for the joint not to harbor any bacteria in it.

a typical socket fitting only requires 25% penetration on a brazed joint. that's why a t-drill joint can be only 1/4'' socket depth and hold fine. those do require 100% of the 1/4'' shoulder.

95% of all my post are not from research, but from retention of facts. the other 5% is from the ridgid bible

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X