X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Is What It Is

I hear this term from more and more people and in more places, must be the latest catch phrase. In my opinion folks are using it in some instances to excuse more effort on their part to change things that can be changed. Granted there are all sorts of things out of our control and acceptance makes life bearable. Have any of you picked up on this little excuse it all saying?

Re: It Is What It Is

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    I hear this term from more and more people and in more places, must be the latest catch phrase. In my opinion folks are using it in some instances to excuse more effort on their part to change things that can be changed. Granted there are all sorts of things out of our control and acceptance makes life bearable. Have any of you picked up on this little excuse it all saying?
    Some kind of pollast year put it as one of the top 5 most irritating phrases of the year

Comment

I say that. For example, when describing a long kitchen sink drain line with backfall in it; I can make it drain. It won't last because it's not been installed properly. If you really want it right, that's not something I'm willing to take on.

Or, when cutting off a customer who wants to tell me on the phone exactly what his drain problem symptoms are and the entire history at the house and have me diagnose it and quote a price; It is what it is (and it's pointless for me to speculate over the phone because the price could vary wildly depending on what the problem is, and I can't trust you to accurately communicate the symptoms to me, and I might misunderstand even if you do, and it takes enough time to talk about it on the phone that I could probably be there and see it by the time we understand each other).
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

My mother used to say that when I would ask a question she didn't have the answer for or didn't want to answer. That of course, was about 70 years ago.

Comment

I think the phrase has been around for several years, at the least. I have a dear friend who uses it all too often; and yes, it certainly can be annoying. Perhaps it's unfortunate, but I've also used it on occasion, but I try not to use it as an answer or reply for everything. But there are times, at least for me, where it just seems acceptable for problems that have no easy answers, or at least not answers that are profoundly within our reach. Some problems simply are without a quick resolution and therefore, about the simplest answer to the question is to the just see it for what it is and suggest a work around... or, "It is what it is" (so deal with it.)

Yeah, it's sort of a "accept things as they are" answer, which is certainly not an attempt to answer the question. (A "cop-out" answer?) But sometimes all we do is complain and that doesn't necessarily resolve anything. (Believe me, I am a "complainer", and I know well that people get sick of hearing me bitchin'.... (but they still don't fix it!). So, while I'm not the least bit happy about it.... It is what it is!

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 05-23-2011, 09:55 PM. Reason: Re-write

Comment

Working...
          X