Clear All

• Memorial Day

What are your plans?

Stay home and grill?

Small dinner with good friends

Jump out of good airplanes.

Or,just read a good book/forums?

Re: Memorial Day

If I haven't already welcomed you to the Forum, Welcome to the Forum! I plan to win lotto, buy a new corvette, run off to a tropical paradise with some hot babe. If that doesn't happen I'll probably have a small cookout and start cleaning the pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      If I haven't already welcomed you to the Forum, Welcome to the Forum! I plan to win lotto, buy a new corvette, run off to a tropical paradise with some hot babe. If that doesn't happen I'll probably have a small cookout and start cleaning the pool.
      I believe you have welcome me here before,if not as red1234,then most likely as drainman881999.[I no longer use that name as somekind of way the password plus E-mail addrress got hacked and I was no longer able to use them.But thanks. You are a thinking man like so many here.

Comment

I'm just trying to catch up on much needed chores and various projects this weekend.

Comment

Plumb if I can.

J.C.

Comment

Plant, mulch, water ..Happy memorial day
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I plan to take at least a few moments to silently remember those who have given their lives for this country. Once that is done, I'll then probably do some fun things.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

A good day to reflect on those I've lost in my life and pay respect to the many known and unknown who have given us all this day to enjoy.

Beyond that it's a day to just be at home with the LOML, maybe we'll through a steak on the grill and maybe I'll take an hour or two clean the cobwebs out of the radio shack. Haven't been able to do that in some time now.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  A good day to reflect on those I've lost in my life and pay respect to the many known and unknown who have given us all this day to enjoy.

Beyond that it's a day to just be at home with the LOML, maybe we'll through a steak on the grill and maybe I'll take an hour or two clean the cobwebs out of the radio shack. Haven't been able to do that in some time now.

CWS
                  The radio shack is someplace I have not spent much time either of late. Right now I don't even have an antenna on the house, had to take them down temporarily for some work going on. Still have a rig in each truck butI find there are fewer people on there now-a-days. In the days BC (Before Cellphones), the repeaters were jammed and you were lucky to get a word in edgewise. A round table might take 5 minutes or more to get back to you. One of our local radio clubs just disbanded after 44 years, we went from over 160 members to I think 20 at the end. The main purpose of the group was to support the local 2M repeater but that has been taken over by the local OEM and the associated radio groups (ARES/RACES). That old Motorola Micor repeater is hard to get parts for but those machines had excellent audio and were pretty reliable for their time.

Anyway, phone patches for servicemen are a thing of the past pretty much. The NTS is probably runnig on a wing and a prayer now too. When was the last time you checked in to a traffic net? I used to run the local VHF net (SJVN) 3 or 4 nights a week for about 6 years in the 90s.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Got to go up in a MV-22 Osprey with the US Marines as part of a Fleet Week / Memorial day media event here in NYC the other day

Pretty amazing, and the Marines were awesome.

Comment

thank you!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        The radio shack is someplace I have not spent much time either of late. Right now I don't even have an antenna on the house, had to take them down temporarily for some work going on. Still have a rig in each truck butI find there are fewer people on there now-a-days. In the days BC (Before Cellphones), the repeaters were jammed and you were lucky to get a word in edgewise. A round table might take 5 minutes or more to get back to you. One of our local radio clubs just disbanded after 44 years, we went from over 160 members to I think 20 at the end. The main purpose of the group was to support the local 2M repeater but that has been taken over by the local OEM and the associated radio groups (ARES/RACES). That old Motorola Micor repeater is hard to get parts for but those machines had excellent audio and were pretty reliable for their time.

Anyway, phone patches for servicemen are a thing of the past pretty much. The NTS is probably runnig on a wing and a prayer now too. When was the last time you checked in to a traffic net? I used to run the local VHF net (SJVN) 3 or 4 nights a week for about 6 years in the 90s.

Bob D,

You're correct in that the hobby seems to be hanging by a thread at times, at least with local traffic. Still quite a bit of activity out there on the HF bands. I've never been a big mobile user or for that matter done much more than listening in on the VHF bands and though I have two rigs capable of UHF (440), I've never had a QSO there... just NO local traffic at all. 2-meters is pretty silent except for a couple of nets on Sunday evening and a handful of mobile's during the run to work in the morning. (Occasionally, I'll check into the local net, but there is rarely "traffic" to be passed.) Oddly there's more VHF traffic out here in the Corning /Elmira area than there is down in Binghamton. With the latter, it's much more populated but I here no traffic at all and similarly they club activity seems to be very low. Back in Elmira the ARES is quite active as are the "rookies" and they put on two Hamfests a year with fairly good attendance.

My wife and I are both VE's and our team holds test sessions every month. Not a crowd by any means, but we average two or three candidates a month and most continue through their "Extra" over the first year. Except for a couple of rule changes over the last two decades (the "No-Code" tech and then the code-requirement drop for all), the license activity has pretty much stayed the same.

But, as you referred, the whole game has changed. While I didn't get my Amateur License until 1991, my interest in radio started in the mid-50's. My school superintendent was a "big-time" HAM, regional director for MARS and Wing Communications Officer for Civil Air Patrol. I joined the latter in 1958 as a 14 yr old "cadet" and got involved in radio and SAR operations immediately. After high school, I used to take the opportunity to work the local MARS shack (the "Crow's Nest") and helped with traffic in and out of Vietnam, Turkey, and much of Europe. Almost every Friday and Saturday, there'd be at least a half-dozen operator's and it was a real pleasure to be even a minor part of that. Lot's of big tube equipment, like Viking, Hammarlund, Heath, and even a couple of Collins. For SAR work, the Gonset was the the 2-meter rig of choice (AM). When I was 16 I build my first Heath Kit, which was a "Twoer"... I still have that, though at this point it is just an old, non-working momento. I spent 11 years in the patrol and certainly it was great experience, but with marriage and then a son, there wasn't time for such time-consuming adventures. So was it with "radio" and it wasn't until after our son graduated from Cornell, that I finally got my license (and was able to afford a rig).

On the plus side, the "hurricane" nets are still very active and just a few days ago, I heard one of the CNN reporters comment about they wouldn't know what was going if it wasn't for the many "Ham Radio" operators across the area in Missouri and Oklahoma. So as they say, "When all else fails!"

Today most of my "radio" is handling the monthly test activity in our area, but I do try to listen in at least a couple of times a week. Here in Painted Post, I have a Icom 751A, hooked into delta loop (sky loop), which is just less than 300 ft of wire. Great antenna! Unfortunately, back in Binghamton I have nothing other than a "listening" whip, hooked up to my "706MkII". My mobile equipment is mostly sitting idle, with the 2-meter in the shack for monitoring and the compact dual-bander packed into my emergency bag along with a couple of HT's. Usually the 706 is there two, but I like having it more available for listening on those evenings when the mood strikes.

I never did get on the air yesterday. As usual, home maintenance got in the way and too much yard work wore me out.

I hope you had a great Memorial Day,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                        X