Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About time this idea became a reality.

Imagine a parking lot that pays for itself. The eggheads at G.E. in Connecticut did just that.
    link: GE opens solar-powered car charging port in Connecticut | masslive.com

I would love to see these little toys installed in front of every Hell's Depot, Lowlies, and China-Mart accross the entire country. Once again, we can finally put a product stamped, "Made in America" at these stores as a clear demonstration of what real quality means, and where it's made.

Re: About time this idea became a reality.

Thats a good idea thats been tossed around for a while. nice to see it actually being implemented somewhere.
    What I think would be even better and something that was done close to me recently was to cover the whole parking lot with solar panels that feed the building and of course any excess goes out on the grid. Now you've taken acres of asphalt that used to have cars siting in it all day baking in the sun and put them under cover as well as generating electricity. Now when you're getting in and out of your car if its raining or snowing no big deal and you car will be cooler in the afternoon when you come out.

This could work in malls and other facilities with acres of parking space like sports stadiums, office buildings, schools, etc.

There is no need to take valuable farm land (as is being done in my area) and installing solar farms when there is all this under utilized space on rooftops or parking lots that should be developed first. What a waste of land that will be difficult to reclaim for farming what with all the underground cabling and foundation work needed to support the solar panels. There is a 40 some acre solar farm going in right now not far from me. While I am in favor of using solar it is going to cause all of us problems down the road. One of which is you are going to be forced to go solar not by the government but by the economics of it all. the more solar that comes on line the more expensive it will be for utilities to produce electricity. you will see daytime and night time elec rates come back, and the differential between them will widen.

Keep an eye on your utility stocks and be ready to sell before they go south. there will be a turning point when they are no longer the sure thing they are now (though they are no where are solid as they used to be). It might be 5 or 20 years down the road, but it is coming.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Nice work by GE...

Hopefully this idea will catch and expand, but I find myself skeptable, as there always seems to be a "reason" why such things just don't catch on. Usually it's not a matter of "catching" as it is "blocking" by other interests.

Solar paneling a parking lot just seems so sensible, yet I'm sure those in charge of such things will find a thousand ($) reasons to not go there. No foresight I think. Some ideas are just so simple, yet "analysis" usually turns out to be a short-sighted "actuarial" concern over ROI that gets such ideas scuttled quickly.

But if one looks at the massive square miles of parking lots, roof tops, and other wasted space it would seem unimaginable that someone doesn't step up for better utilization. All one has to do is start small, and then add-on gradually, instead most companies look at such ideas in their entirety, and of course the cost of doing an entire parking lot at one time would almost surely cause a tremble in the board room.

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 05-29-2011, 12:02 PM.

Comment

As long as GE is spending its own capital and that of its investors, I have no issue...

I must say though, cool idea, and its has more than one practical use. Car insurance companies I would think would love this, that's a lot of cars protected from hail storms. You can get to your car and stay somewhat dry in a rain storm. I still think electric cars are a pipe dream, even though I do see a future for them if they figure out a reliable battery system.

Comment

The future. The one invention that could make you a mega multi-billionaire overnight, would be to develop a way to store huge amounts of electricity. I'm talking gigawatts or power not KW or MW, but even something that could store a few hundred MW would have some value. To be able to store a days worth of sunshine so to speak and be able to draw on it overnight or during periods of no sun would be bigger than the discovery of electricity itself.

I'm not talking battery technology, too expensive and a dozen other reasons this will not work. I've worked in places with large battery backup systems, too much maintenance to be cost effective, many hazards associated with todays' battery technology, and the physical size of the installation does not allow it to scale up easily.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
            As long as GE is spending its own capital and that of its investors, I have no issue...

I must say though, cool idea, and its has more than one practical use. Car insurance companies I would think would love this, that's a lot of cars protected from hail storms. You can get to your car and stay somewhat dry in a rain storm. I still think electric cars are a pipe dream, even though I do see a future for them if they figure out a reliable battery system.
            I like the concept of the electric car, if for no other reason than there are plenty of good ways to domestically generate electricity (hydro, nuclear, coal). I am skeptical of the ROI of solar panels. They didn't mention anything about the cost, but parking spaces, etc. aren't cheap; and I wonder how much this would add. if there was enough electric vehicle penetration, I'm sure that metering the power could be a viable business model. I just wonder whether solar would make sense rather than hooking up to the existing grid. If it doesn't make sense to do it on top of a building yet, it probably doesn't make sense in a parking lot.

Comment

Working...
            X