X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we get a for sale forum??

I know there are alot of ways to get ripped off on these, and be a pain for the mods, but I dont like the idea of posting WTB ads in the forums for the tool you might have laying around collecting dust, or saying I have something I want to get rid of you might like. Is there any chance in hell that we can get a forum or are the occasional sale thread OK?
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Re: Can we get a for sale forum??

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
    I know there are alot of ways to get ripped off on these, and be a pain for the mods, but I dont like the idea of posting WTB ads in the forums for the tool you might have laying around collecting dust, or saying I have something I want to get rid of you might like. Is there any chance in hell that we can get a forum or are the occasional sale thread OK?
    Sounds like a great idea. What do you have for sale?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      Sounds like a great idea. What do you have for sale?
      I disagree, sounds like a bad idea to me. Thats all this place needs is a forum full of craigslist links that hold no interest for most of the members. If someone is having trouble selling somethng locally I doubt if someone 3 states away will be knocking down their doors to buy it. But, thats just my .02¢ worth.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would like to buy an 18volt impact driver if anyone would like to part with one. Thanks, Ron

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          I disagree, sounds like a bad idea to me. Thats all this place needs is a forum full of craigslist links that hold no interest for most of the members. If someone is having trouble selling somethng locally I doubt if someone 3 states away will be knocking down their doors to buy it. But, thats just my .02¢ worth.
          That is a very valid point and that is my 2¢....so now we're up to 4¢....anybody make it 6¢ ??

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            I think posting craigslist links is a bad idea also.....but if a guy has a K-60 for 200.00 that he has used 3 times I think this forum or my message box would be a good place to start trying to get rid of it. I dont think it would get used to the point it would be a problem as other forums have them and it hasn't caused a problem but you could be right and it could always be removed just as fast as it was created.

Comment

I can see both sides of the issue as many can I'm sure. My biggest worry has been people who would come here and put stuff up for sale who just joined for the sake of selling their wares.

And we have seen this happen many times with the people who join then start posting numerous times with links to various sites or basically just advertising junk that no one here has interest in.

Maybe if it was possible to restrict posting to SENIOR members (>100 posts) and/or those who have been members for over x number of days then you could reduce or have a good chance of eliminating the spammers. Since the purpose of this forum is not to sell items and if this forum space were created its intended target would be members then I don't see the above as being limitations that would cause many if any problems. A non senior could still reply to a item posted for sale, they just could not do so (list an item for sale)with out reaching 100+ posts. But maybe that is not enough. Maybe there should or could be a requirement that you supply a little more information about yourself before you can post.

I don't know I'm just throwing stuff out there.

I know its been talked about many times over the years and it has been agreed that an occasional posting by a member of an item for sale was not a problem. I did it myself but the item ended up going to someone local who does not visit the board.

All in all I think the way it is is OK with me.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 06-14-2011, 01:57 PM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

if i listed the excess tool inventory, the new forum servers would crash, ebay would take a hit, and ups would have semi trucks parked outside my shop.

for those that know me well enough to have my number, you can always call me for the goods.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I have seen forums practice what Bob D has suggested, and it does slow down the ripoffs. I have also seen boards go the extra mile and demand you become a paid subscriber to the forum to be able to post in the for sale section. Craigslist links I can totally live without.

I am talking about stuff that I either want, like the R84081(tiny radio) that I threw away or lost somehow, or unload my 14.4 NICD impact driver that works great but the batteries suck, or buy surplus batteries to keep my 12V right angle impact driver going, buy a X2 circular saw, hand held 18V work light, etc etc or other construction related tools that I might either need, or find useful.

Comment

Do you have an extra impact driver? Ron

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    if i listed the excess tool inventory, the new forum servers would crash, ebay would take a hit, and ups would have semi trucks parked outside my shop.

for those that know me well enough to have my number, you can always call me for the goods.

rick.

Comment

actually i have the right angle impact driver.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I believe the one I would likekto have is the R86030 (?) I think that is the model number. Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
                          Do you have an extra impact driver? Ron
                          I have two, but I need both of them, one as a backup if one fails(or gets lost) and for my helper who on occasion needs one.

If all else fails, hit up Ebay. There are lots of them there, bare tools, kits with batteries, etc. If that does not work, I would check out Home Depot, ask for the Tool Department "Department Manager" And ask that person if they have any Ridgid 18V kits that have been returned or opened and are missing tools. I have had excellent luck with getting individual tools for smoking prices.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          actually i have the right angle impact driver.

rick.
                          You couldn't pay me to get rid of my 12V right angle impact driver! Yes, I only use it maybe 6 times a year, but when I need it, boy do I need it! I used to keep a Makita right angle drill with me but driving 3" screws with 6" of room left alot to be desired. Now its no sweat, and well worth the 100K worth of miles I've lugged that thing around with me for the 2 dozen times I have needed it. The only thing I would change on it is the trigger. That paddle makes life difficult sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by lreops View Post
                            that is a very valid point and that is my 2¢....so now we're up to 4¢....anybody make it 6¢ ??

me!!

Comment

I moderate a off-road site and over the past 10+ years we have found that there will be scammers, but overall it can be a huge asset. Rules help, a dedicated moderator is even better. Minimum post count does seem to help, but can some times lead to people padding their post counts to list items with worthless posts. If items are auto deleted after 15 days it helps. Being a "community" helps with keeping down the chance of getting screwed as there is people everywhere that can go look at stuff if you like before buying and "knock" on doors of dead beat losers. I have bought and sold many items via forums without getting screwed. I say go for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X