Portable Bandsaw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Bandsaw

Anyone use one? I picked up this one from one of my local tool shops. I've had it two weeks now, and I am absolutely loving it. 20 seconds to go through 2" service weight cast iron. and I didn't bother to time it until I was about 20 cuts in. so it wasn't just the luster of a new blade doing the talking.

Anyway, I was withholding a post on the topic until I'd used it a bit and decided whether I'd massively wasted my money.

One of the other things this guy is great for is "provided you have room to work" you can cut galvanized pipe without the vibrations a sawzawl would produce, just a nice steady cut.

I've been using it to cut gas pipe rather than the tubing cutter, really speeding up production.
    Originally posted by NHMaster3015
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Portable Bandsaw

I've used this tool at a company I used to work for. It was funny to see gown-men argue over who would be getting it that day.

Great for cutting large diameter rigid and EMT conduit. So much better than a sawzall.

They make a 24 volt cordless one too, I have never seen one though.

Comment

i don't own 1

i own 4 they are great like you said when you have the room to get it in. great for bundles of all thread making hangers. also great on old cast iron. no vibration and 1 way cutting on the blade.

lousy for in wall cutting. but great for in air cutting.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

In wall cutting? I think it could barely fit in between studs!

Comment

Yeah, I've been using it in crawl spaces. It'd be pretty worthless in wall, unless the studs were disposable as well

I looked at the battery powered model. but I was a little put out that my year and a half old V18 batteries were already obsolete. so I opted for the larger corded model.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

And buying into the 24 volt Milwaukee series is expensive. I've used the Mlwke 24 volt drill, it is huge, awkward, and heavy. The sawzall is good though, but still not worth the price.

My buddy bought the Mlwke 24 volt holehog with extension. He really wanted the tool. As he had nothing from the 24 volt line, he spent almost $700 on the drill, extension, two batt's and a charger.

He has not bought anything else in the tool line.

Comment

I find myself using my battery tools less and less. the only one that gets any serious use is the impact driver, and then only because I'm really impatient.

Comment

Yes.
                Unistrut and all thread, mainly.
                I have never tried it on cast iron. Always go for grinder and snap cutters.

I have thought about getting the table for it. But, did not know whether it was worth it.

Comment

Working...
                X