X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What steel are K60 cables made of?

Not sure where to post, so I'll try here first. I'm a plumber by trade and a knife maker in my spare time. Since I have an abundance of broken cables laying around, I'd like to use it for damascus if suitable. Thanks in advance

Re: What steel are K60 cables made of?

I can't answer your question, but I would like to know how you would go about making
    knives from cable steel. Wouldn't you need flatter, thicker stock for blanks?

Comment

and post pictures of the finish product as well

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
        I can't answer your question, but I would like to know how you would go about making
        knives from cable steel. Wouldn't you need flatter, thicker stock for blanks?
        I would use additional steel blanks (depending what steel the cables are) inserted and pound them flat after being heated in my forge. Borax is used to weld them together at high heat. I'll be more than happy to post some up when completed.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackPenny View Post
          I would use additional steel blanks (depending what steel the cables are) inserted and pound them flat after being heated in my forge. Borax is used to weld them together at high heat. I'll be more than happy to post some up when completed.
          Oh Nooooo! You have no idea what you've done to MrsSeatDown. Her hubby Rick will just HAVE to have one of your K60 Knives.

Seriously, post the process and results if you can. Would be very interesting. Each Damascus Steel knife has a unique look of folded metal. Very swirly cool.

J.C.

Comment

Can anyone point me in the right direction with a manufacturer location and number? I'm tired of buying steel or paying to have different scrap analyzed. It gets costly!

Comment

Working...
            X