X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T1-11 Shed Door- any suggestions?

I'm building a 12' x 8' shed. Almost done, now deciding exactly how I want to do the door.

The door is centered on the 12' side. I framed it in for a 4' x 82" tall door. As the shed was done with t1-11, I am doing the door with one sheet of T1-11. the whole shed is being trimmed with 3.5" cedar.

I am concerned that one door made of t1-11 will sag. So I want to do double doors. Trying to decide between two 2' doors, or have one wider than the other. One main door, and the other would open for when extra width is needed.

Ideas?
    Last edited by A.T.; 06-16-2011, 11:37 PM.

Re: T1-11 Shed Door- any suggestions?

A 4' door with solid siding wont sag if you build the frame properly. the worst thing that can happen is the frame will twist and the door wont close correctly (one corner will touch the jamb first.) If you sheet the inside as well, or some gussets, the door will be bomb proof. Some good hinges wont hurt either. If I was going to do a shed with double doors, I would do 3' ones.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I have had off-size doors and two doors the same size always seems to work the best.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
        A 4' door with solid siding wont sag if you build the frame properly. the worst thing that can happen is the frame will twist and the door wont close correctly (one corner will touch the jamb first.) If you sheet the inside as well, or some gussets, the door will be bomb proof. Some good hinges wont hurt either. If I was going to do a shed with double doors, I would do 3' ones.

Too late to do it with 3' doors, although I do like the idea. I kept everything in 4' widths for ease of installation.

Even a twisted frame could cause problems with New England winters...wind driven snow can find its way into some small spaces.

I do have some left over plywood that I could use on the interior side of the door. I already picked up some huge hinges.

How would you frame it?
        Last edited by A.T.; 06-17-2011, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
          I have had off-size doors and two doors the same size always seems to work the best.

I like the idea of double doors because when just grabbing a small item from the shed, you wouldn't have to open the awkward 4' door. What problems do unequal sized doors cause?

Comment

Originally posted by A.T. View Post

How would you frame it?
            I am by no means a shed building expert, but I did sleep at a Holdiay Inn Express once (and worked for Tuff Shed for 1.5 years - 13 years ago)

I do my doors with two vertical legs with 3 horizontal 2x4's in between the longer vertical legs, secured with 3" screws. The plywood will keep the frame from sagging, the inner layer of plywood will keep the door frame from separating or warping (as will the screws). The frame I like to have about 2" smaller on each side than the O.D. of the door, and 3-4" smaller on the bottom so the frame will not hit the shed as it opens and closes, and the bottom of the door will match the lower reveal of the siding (keeping water off of the floor) From the inside you will have about a 1" gap all the way around between the frame of the door and the door opening. If you want a 4' wide door, your rough opening will be 46 or so inches and your door frame 44". If you want a 4 foot wide opening in the rough, the door will need to be 4'2" or so, which means the door will have a splice in the siding someplace. I also suggest finding a drip cap to go over top of the door to help keep the water from getting onto the top of the door. If you are going to be picky and want your siding lines to match up, your door skin will need to be lined up with the frame you are going to build in such a way that once the door is set, and does not hit the frame, the lines in the siding will match. I cannot tell you exactly what sizes to make the frame and the ofset, that is something you will have to play with to get right. Tack the siding to the frame with some screws and put 2 hinges on for now to make sure everything is happy.

Something I do not see in your picture is where the door is going to strike (stop) when it is closed. You want something there for the door to stop on when it is closed, also it will slow down the wind (and heat loss) when the ol lady kicks you and your buddies out of the house when you are watching football. This will also be an area for some cheap stick on foam weather stripping to seal. I would suggest painting the back side of the siding and the edges (primer and 2 coats) prior to attaching it to the frame. It will help the door not rot out when it gets wet.
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I'm sure you will do a nice job regardless of what you decide on. Personally on a 4' opening I'd go with a single door and frame with double 2/4's for support. The single door you described should not be a problem and if you are concerned with load just use three hinges. I live in CT and built a five foot door for my stockade fence fifteen years ago. I used a piece of the fence as the door and braced it with 2x4's to make it sturdy. I fastened it to a 4x4 post and it has never saged or twisted. Do you really want to go with double doors and deal with a small opening if not opening both doors at the same time? Seem like extra work?

Comment

Here's how I did mine, built after the 2004 hurricanes destroyed my old metal shed.
                12 X 8, T-111, 32" double doors. Already been through one hurricane in 2005.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by A.T. View Post
                  I like the idea of double doors because when just grabbing a small item from the shed, you wouldn't have to open the awkward 4' door. What problems do unequal sized doors cause?
                  The only issue I have ever run into with unequal sized doors is wishing that I had made them both the same size in the future. I have sworn off of building un-equal doors after a couple of unhappy experiences. The big door was always just quite not big enough.

I also sometimes frame doors with T-111 and a frame made of flat 1x4's screwed on thru the front of the sheet as it keeps the weight down. As I'm sure you know there is no comparison in holding power with screws (I like the gold coated construction screws) and nails. I built my last shed (below) with a nail gun but used screws while building the windows and doors. Have fun

With my last shed I opted for both...a single door and a set of double doors.

Last edited by Abbott; 06-18-2011, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                    The only issue I have ever run into with unequal sized doors is wishing that I had made them both the same size in the future. I have sworn off of building un-equal doors after a couple of unhappy experiences.

With my last shed I opted for both...a single door and a set of double doors.

Real nice looking shed, reminds me of a building from the old west.

Comment

Good morning Frank, yep, that's what I was shooting for. We use it to store our gardening tools and supplies. We now also have a small 8' X 10' greenhouse next to it which we used for the first time this spring. We really enjoy both of them very much.
                      Last edited by Abbott; 06-18-2011, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        Real nice looking shed, reminds me of a building from the old west.
                        Ditto.I was thinking the same thing Frank. A very nice shed.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for all of the ideas everyone. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                          X