steve dunbar not doing too good

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: steve dunbar not doing too good

Thanks for all the well wishes. I believe I'm in danger 'not' being in the hospital right now as I woke up at my home with my left side of my body void of blood flow. This is why I was reluctant to leave. I'm cashing out all unfinished plumbing jobs I started before I went into the hospital, hiring out manpower to keep my affairs in order. But hey, I lived. My chances were less than 10% so just being able to type is a blessing.

Lots of changes coming for me in the aspect of how I operate my companies.

I will say this for the record:

This needed to happen. I finally got all my doctors on the same page, something I couldn't do before and now they know how serious my condition is now and what the primary reasons of why it led to this. It shouldn't of taken me losing 12 units of blood over 6 days to accomplish. But now, if I can pull forward and get back to 100%, I'll be in the best shape I've been in years, void of any major organ damage whatsoever. And, might possibly have a massive reduction in the need for such medications I've taken in the past.

Please use my words as a public service announcement for the use, misuse and overuse of Ibruprofen; it tore a 1" laceration into my stomach wall that hit an artery which caused a massive internal GI bleed that should of killed me, as less than 10% survive such a large gash to an artery pumping blood by the second.

My hospital saved me along with all the medical staff that brought me to the hospital that day. I owe them my life. Thank you. And thank you to all of you who cared enough to show your concern for me in my time of need. It's greatly appreciated. My reality sunk in thursday morning, knowing how lucky I really am and that I should truly be an obituary instead of another post on a forum.

Steve
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 06-21-2011, 11:55 AM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Very powerful and touching Steve.

Hang in there and get better.

Comment

Steve, glad to hear that you are doing better. Scary ordeal for sure. I have warned people about over using Ibruprofen, and most laugh at me... I don't even take the stuff for a simple headache. I am guessing due to chronic pain you used it daily to just get by, which I don't blame you. (this from a guy that toughs through almost constant lower back pain, but finally after many many years has gotten better due to non-traditional treatment) I am praying for ya!

Comment

The power of prayer, good medical care, and luck. Steve, please enjoy your second chance at life and I hope it's a long one. Chronic pain leads us to over medicate and put ourselves at risk for problems like yours. Reading your post made my day, please take care. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
            Please use my words as a public service announcement for the use, misuse and overuse of Ibuprofen; it tore a 1" laceration into my stomach wall that hit an artery which caused a massive internal GI bleed that should of killed me, as less than 10% survive such a large gash to an artery pumping blood by the second.
            Hope you heal up quickly Steve!

If you don't mind me asking, how much Ibuprofen have you been taking?

Thanks for the heads up. Candy takes more than her fair share of that crap.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I wish u well and I will Keep u in my prayers hope u r feeling better soon
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Thanks again for the prayers/wishes.

I'm almost embarrassed to say, but I was taking 24-250mg ibruprofens every 48 hours. There was time I'd pop 10 in 7 hours. They stated when I came into the hospital, I was hovering around 1200mg in my bloodstream. And even though I had that much in me, you'd think I never took one by the way I was moving around. It just gave me 'enough' to keep working. I'm never allowed to take it again.

Comment

Holy crap you damn fool, that stuff's poison to the liver. Do I have to come down there and keep an eye on you?
                  sigpic

Comment

thanks for the good info Steve
                    but now take care of your self now buddy we will be praying for you health to get better
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Sounds serious, hope you get better soon.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks again, I put in my first day back into 3 businesses I own.

Came off with a start of having another fellow help me put my shoes on to running around town picking up equipment for setups at an upcoming festival to heading back to my big truck and getting the batteries back in, waking up the ole 3116 caterpillar one more time. We've got less than 10 days to get the truck ready for the Kenny Loggins concert so I'm anxious.

The physical activity was good for me today, even though I stayed away from any heavy lifting or durations of physical stress. It's amazing how 7 days out of commission can truly be a wreck of many designs in business, but then again I've found that the timing is also a blessing. Haven't lost any contracts.

Plumbing? Changes coming. I need to be profitable in the field but no so much the hands on, as much. Probably start a discussion eventually.

Just something for thought to everyone who has laid eyes on this subject matter:

My experience was very traumatic, but you don't get much time to sit around and ponder your thoughts of what happened. At least that's my case. But, I love the fact that I can continue as planned like it was just a tire blowout, you fix it and move on. I think that's the best way to deal with this without being starstruck by the situation.

I say this because in that hospital, there were so many people in far worse situation than I, and I almost felt selfish that my situation even though dangerous was in comparison to many serious issues, but simplistic as well 'after' the repair.

But thank you to each and every one of you, and I hope that I can console and provide in any way I can if the event occurs that one of you have a time in need. Communication when things aren't in your best interest can be very helpful, such as this thread.

Comment

Steve You,re and inspiration to Us all! I,m a type 2 diabetic with one heart stint. take 10 different pills a day. work 6 days. Yesterday, made a life change. switching to Soy milk, Earth balance organic butter spread ,instead of butter. Love trader Joes food stores. We can change our lives! Know a lovely lady that lost 50 lbs. thanks Brenda!
                          I love John Wayn's quote! " Anything that doesn't kill You, just makes You tougher"
                          You just git Tougher! Us Men, have to learn from our Woman! Be well Tool.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

What I find amazing is how many of us have some pretty signifcant health issues and yet we are still up at the break of dawn, work 8 to god knows whatever hours and wouldn't have it any other way. We are truely the last of working fools because I am not seeing that kind of dedication from the coming generation.
                            sigpic

Comment

Morning all. My take on that N.H. Master and all. My wonderful parents went through the depression.We grew it, Made it,Fixed it, did with out it.My Mom was a nurse,bless Her and Her Kindness,You Too Dad! She was there for all the neighbors. Mending them, and small animals and birds I brought home. Early 50s ALL us Kids had NO spending Money. We had SO MUCH FUN!We all made forts in the woods,tree platforms. Huge bond fires at night, playing ice hockey at Locks pond. Making spears and our own sling shots. Chasing little animals on the hunt ! We were never fast enough, thank God ,All survived! We explored the Meadows and woods. We were soo blessed. I feel sorry for many of the kids today. They have x boxes and $.
                              I know many of You, like N.H.Master and Steve, had our same good fortune. Thanks and get well Steve.
                              Last edited by toolaholic; 06-24-2011, 08:13 AM.
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Steve,

Just read through the thread here and I'm so happy that you've survived this ordeal. Keep up the good work and pay attention to what the doctor's are telling you... and don't hesitate for a second to question and discuss any and all concerns you have with them.

"Moderation" is and should be the policy when it comes to taking over-the-counter drugs of any kind. I've suffered from severe headaches for as long as I can remember and have more different diagnosis and prescriptions than I care to count. Bottom line is nothing is definitive and I just do the common asperin thing... but even then, if two asperin every four hours doesn't put a dent in the headache, I simply stop after the third dose. Just too much body contamination after that.

About 15 years ago I was diagnosed as a Type II Diabetic. Fortunately it's well under control with just pills and moderation in diet and exercise. My doctor says the best thing that can happen with a guy is to find something somewhat seriously wrong.... and only then will the typical guy, start paying attention to his health. It's the guy's who just go through life paying no attention whatsoever and just one day kick off in their late 40's or 50's! Often the comment from his bereaved family and friends is, "Gee, he just seemed so healthy!"

So, hopefuly this very serious brush with death will be a new beginning, putting you on a path for a very long and happy number of decades ahead of you.

Best wishes and God's blessings to you and your family,

CWS
                                Last edited by CWSmith; 06-24-2011, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X