Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The troops are coming home

Originally posted by AFM View Post
    Thank God its time to cut and run after ten years and another lost war under our belts its a pity we didn`t understand the past and the many empires throughout history who have tried to conquer Afghanistan.

Tony
    What battle did we lose in Afghanistan?

Comment

Tony is just trying to be annoying. We are not there to "conquer" Afghanistan, unfortunately we are also not fighting those who give shelter and support to our enemies! Our military does not lose, it has been and is currently prevented from fighting all out to win!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        . However, I don't believe Obama would intentionally hurt the troops over saving his popularity with his base.

Mark
        I do not share that same optimism. I think it will be measured in casualties (rise?) over the coming months/years. I would like to see all of the troops brought home from Iraq and Afghanistan to give them a break until the next crop of American youths have to go back to that God forsaken desert and do it all again.
        Last edited by Abbott; 06-25-2011, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Tony is just trying to be annoying.
          Yeah, he gets his kicks by spitting anti-USA stuff ~shrug~
          Last edited by Abbott; 06-25-2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Look, for whatever reason for the surge soldiers' pullout, and the tens of thousands that are still to remain, I frankly do not care. My dwindling time left on U.S. soil is very short, and when my turn does come, only one reason will remain: To do a job that needs to be done. I take solace in the fact that not only my work, but the work of the construction unit will make the lives of those already there a little bit easier, as well as our unit's presence will enable others to finally go home themselves. Who knows,I might get lucky enough to be assigned to a teardown crew for those being pulled out. This will be the first deployment I have been on where Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, mother's birthday, and my own birthday will all be missed all in one session, however, if it means those before can come home for those same holidays, then so be it. I'm sure there are a few here that have already done the same.

For all the debate, arguements, rhetoric, and dissent over the matter, a few things are clear: It is a terrible situation, where any presence is easily bogged down, as well as being stuck inside upon entry where the only real solution is to do the work. We not be able to solve all of the worlds' problems, that should not absolve us from mitigating at least some of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              What battle did we lose in Afghanistan?
              Its not the battle Flux its the war and it has taken ten years for us to realize we have lost it and as soon as the last soldier has gone the taliban will be back in power as if we hadn`t even been there and all yours and our brave soldiers deaths will be for nothing, and as for your cheap shot Abbott about being anti American it dosen`t deserve a reply, and Frank I am not trying to be annoying I am putting my point of view on what is going on in the mddle east which is a total cock up no matter what you think.

Tony

Comment

That wasn't a cheap shot Tony, you love that anti-USA attitude of yours. I doubt if anyone except you really cares much about it ~shrug~. We haven't lost the war, that was won in the first year of hostilities. I think we will be back in the middle east again and again. They start pulling crap and we go in and kill a million of them. Over and over AGAIN. The only way the job will ever get done properly is with ROEs that make sense out of the situation and politicians who are willing to forgo international opinion and do the job. This kinder-gentler machine gun hand thing our politicians insist on is doing nothing but getting good soldiers killed. Personally I would like to see all of our troops come home from Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm convinced we will go back again in the future. At this point I think that pretty much all of the good that can be done has already been done and its been done well. I also think that a lot of it is misguided. Those folks don't want to live in a democracy, they want to be left alone. If they could stop butchering themselves and others for long enough then they very likely could be left alone. It's that Muslim thing of theirs that keeps getting in the way of any type of peace.

If the Palestinians would lay down their arms tomorrow there would be peace. If the Israelis would lay down their arms tomorrow there would no longer be an Israel. It's a pretty simple thing to understand.
                Last edited by Abbott; 06-26-2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Tony, the way in which you worded that post was insulting and annoying, and disrespectful in my opinion. I am dead set against us being there and fighting with one hand tied behind our back, but I express myself differently. If you can't go back and read what you wrote without seeing how it was received then we are wasting our time. This is also not the first time you have thrown jabs against America, and it's not that we even disagree on many points it is the way in which the opinion is expressed. Frank

Comment

Its not the battle Flux its the war and it has taken ten years for us to realize we have lost it and as soon as the last soldier has gone the taliban will be back in power as if we hadn`t even been there and all yours and our brave soldiers deaths will be for nothing, and as for your cheap shot Abbott about being anti American it dosen`t deserve a reply, and Frank I am not trying to be annoying I am putting my point of view on what is going on in the mddle east which is a total cock up no matter what you think.

Tony
                    If you're trying to say we don't fight wars right...I'll absolutely agree with you.

Comment

Obama's troop withdrawal plan was criticized Sunday by the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, Republican Rep. Mike Rogers.

Rogers said he thinks the president shaped his plan mainly to fit the needs of his 2012 re-election campaign rather than the needs of commanders in Afghanistan.

"Unfortunately I think this was more written by the political shop than by the pentagon" Rogers said on CNN's "State of the Union."

In an interview on the same program, the top House Democrat, Rep.Pelosi of California, acknowledged that domestic presidential politics played a role. She said he had hoped that Democrats who comprise Obama's base of political support would have some influence over his Afghan war decision.
                      The timing does seem to fit the election cycle, perfectly. Often Obama will say one thing then after a few days of fallout he will alter his position. Now he says that the commanders will have great leeway in deciding the draw down.
                      Last edited by Abbott; 06-26-2011, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Thank God its time to cut and run after ten years and another lost war under our belts its a pity we didn`t understand the past and the many empires throughout history who have tried to conquer Afghanistan.

Tony
                        Well Frank I can see no disrespect with what I have written above as we have not won the Afghanistan war and that is what has happened, and I thank God that Obama is going to start the withdrawal of US troops as Australia will follow as will all the allies and blind freddy can see that the Taliban will just walk in with Pakistans help as they are our real enemy and not our ally and we should tell them to bugger off and give them no support at all.

Tony

Comment

Well Frank I can see no disrespect with what I have written above as we have not won the Afghanistan war and that is what has happened, and I thank God that Obama is going to start the withdrawal of US troops as Australia will follow as will all the allies and blind freddy can see that the Taliban will just walk in with Pakistans help as they are our real enemy and not our ally and we should tell them to bugger off and give them no support at all.

Tony
                          Tony, maybe it's a difference in language but the following is from wikipedia:
                          "Cut and run is a pejorative[citation needed] phrase used in the context of a war or battle meaning cowardly retreat."
                          Did you mean to suggest our troops are cowardly?

Comment

Sorry, Frankie, but I have to agree with Tony on this one. First off, we all know the troops haven't any more to say about leaving than they did about going. So, any reference about them being cowardly certainly didn't come from Tony. Second, as far as wikipedia is concerned anyone (even you and I) can make or change their definitions. The wiki definition of cut and run is just somebody's opinion.
                            I
                            Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            Tony, maybe it's a difference in language but the following is from wikipedia:
                            "Cut and run is a pejorative[citation needed] phrase used in the context of a war or battle meaning cowardly retreat."
                            Did you mean to suggest our troops are cowardly?

Comment

Substitute "Vietnam" for "Afghanistan" and "Communists" for "Taliban or terrorists" in any of these posts
                              and it is deja vu all over again. At least or guys won't be spit on and called baby killers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                                Sorry, Frankie, but I have to agree with Tony on this one. First off, we all know the troops haven't any more to say about leaving than they did about going. So, any reference about them being cowardly certainly didn't come from Tony. Second, as far as wikipedia is concerned anyone (even you and I) can make or change their definitions. The wiki definition of cut and run is just somebody's opinion.
                                I
                                The definition of "cut and run" happens to be more than someone's opinion, and if Tony did not mean it that way he should have used other words. Maybe you don't choose to actually read my posts, but I agreed that we should not be there. I also said the way in which the war is fought prevents those who give refuge and aid to our enemies, from being stopped. What I disagree with is the way Tony uses words that insult to express his opinion. I suggest you try using that line, "cut and run" with some of our returning troops and see how many teeth you have left. That's just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X