• Show
Clear All

Re: The troops are coming home

Boy, are we touchy!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
      Boy, are we touchy!

I keep thinking back to how the Vietnam Vets were treated and I feel strongly that "cut and run" is the kind of disrespectful term these troops don't deserve. Yes, I'm touchy but I'm pretty sure about that comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        Tony, maybe it's a difference in language but the following is from wikipedia:
        "Cut and run is a pejorative[citation needed] phrase used in the context of a war or battle meaning cowardly retreat."
        Did you mean to suggest our troops are cowardly?
        Sorry if I offended you Frank but I am just an ordinary person who didn`t go to university and started work at sixteen and don`t know what pejorative means I use basic words and have been told that I am not vary tactfull but thats me and I use Microsoft Word a lot to correct my spelling errors and in Aus "CUT AND RUN" is a common frase and bravery and cowardly has nothing to do with it that is your interpretion and I cannot do anything about that

Tony

Comment

Tony, you don't have to apologize to me. I have not been in the service and I also did not go to college. I use a regular dictionary to look up words or the Internet. I also make mistakes. I am willing to listen to others if they say I am mistaken. Cut and run means to run away and that is an insutling thing to suggest of our troops. Look it up. I did assume you meant it in the most nasty way because in the past you have often said insulting things of the USA. Like I said in earlier posts, we may agree on certain things but how it is said is important. You admit to not being very tactful, so don't get offended when you get called on it. If you said these things in public and didn't care who was offended or what words you used I'm sure you would have a problem. Ever wonder why this Forum doesn't allow cursing, racial slurs or other hurtful or insulting behavior? They expect us to behave with a certain amount of tact. Please feel free to criticize the USA, I do it myself and often, but consider the people behind the powerful government. The people who work just as hard as you to raise a family and serve their country.

I thought we learned something from vietnam, tens of thousands of Sons killed and for what? Now we have Sons and Daughters badly wounded and killed, and for what? We can't keep the world safe from those who oppress and threaten, we can't even take care of our own country that does a lot to help others but gets no thanks in return. You may not recognize or appreciate that part of America but it has made a difference in a lot of lives. Right now we make strong a brutal communist government that crushes freedom. If we lived there this conversation could not take place. Communist china is not smart, it did not get our businesses and jobs in a way that deserves respect. The way folks attack my country and praise communist china sickens me. You and pipestone can have the last word, I'm done. Frank

Comment

I find it vary informitive talking to you and others Frank as we Austrlians are not hand on the heart people as we mistrust our governments and as for flying the Aus flag well that not on but I do I always remenber all the way with LBJ and how pro war we were and getting the letter in 1968 from our government telling me that I missed out on the ballet to go to Vietnam as they picked a ball with a date out of a barrel and it was pot luck who went and gee was I releaved as I had a couple of mates who went there and came back not the same.
            But Frank there are really only four countries we can only depend on in this world and they all come from a one mother country and thats the England the US Australia and Canada and if they called me racsit then maybe I am but we build democratic societies but we have lost the ability to wage war as our governmnets think they can do it with their hands tied behind their backs when you go to war it should be to win and wipe the enemy out and the more civilized we get the weaker we become so I give it five generations before we will have had it and now I am starting to ramble Frank and showing my age.

Tony

Comment

Tony, let's move on and hope for better understanding and better tomorrow for all. I feel bad for all the lives lost , and lives ruined because of war. I still know of folks suffering from things that happened in vietnam. I hate to think of what our involvement in iraq and afghanistan will cost in terms of suffering for our troops and their families. Please believe that my upset was not over your right to an opinion. I'm just some words in cyberspace. Take care. Frank

Comment

Yesterday in testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Lt. General John Allen, slated to be the new top commander in Afghanistan, contradicted an (anonymous) administration spokesman, and stated under direct questioning that the troop withdrawal program announced by President Obama was not among the options presented to him by his generals.
                So Obama's announced withdrawal plan belongs to him and to him only. I sure hope it works without raising the casualty rate to high. Even with the disagreements present in this thread I believe it is safe to say that everyone here is still thinking of the troop's safety first.

The people of Afghanistan will eventually be left with a mess...hopefully it will be an improvement to what they were living with under the Taliban. If the Taliban retake control it will be with different personal and I hope that they will be weakened enough that the common people of the region have a better life through a better standard of living. I wish the common folks of the region well and I will be cheerful to see our soldiers retuning home in the coming years.

Everyone here -- U.S. and NATO forces, Afghan allies and our enemies -- knows that the schedule for bringing our troops home next summer was set by the timing of a presidential election, not by the situation on the ground.--Oliver North
                Last edited by Abbott; 06-29-2011, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X