X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The troops are coming home

Just in time for the elections. Imagine that. Wonder how many of them will have to collect unemployment when they get home?
    sigpic

Re: The troops are coming home

I wonder if it will ever go back to the days when you can put in your 20 years and not get shot at daily every other 6 months?
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I think they would rather collect unemployment than lead!

Comment

I was thinking along the same lines. What a terrible employment situation they will be returning to. But I sure will welcome them home...I know that they will not miss leaving all that dirt they have been eating as getting out of that daily grime and abrasive is always the best part. Welcome home brothers!

Comment

Why should they become unemployed? Just have them do border patrol and protect us from illegals by denying entry into the country in the first place. In my mind, the first and foremost responsibility of our Armed Forces should be to protect this country first and then others if and when we can. Somewhere along the way that mission has been turned around.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

"Coming home" doesn't mean "getting out". Many will, many won't. It's their choice. For those that don't have a better job option, becoming career military is a good way to go. With retirement after 20 years, I know lots of people that have made out real well, joined industry in their 40s and come away with a fat bank account.

Comment

Heard an interview with Robert Gates yesterday, where he said that one area where he has changed his view was with respect to use of US military force where it was "discretionary" and "in our interest" as opposed to "in response to a direct threat to the United States". He said that he has become more leery (I'm paraphrasing) of using the military for "discretionary" actions.

Huh? Doesn't this more or less imply that he and the Administrations he served under operated under a policy or at least a certain willingness to use the military to further US interests rather than to defend the Nation against threats?

That's a pretty damning statement as far as I'm concerned.

In the same interview, he said that de-funding the Libya action "would be a mistake". His reason was that England, France and Italy in particular were great allies to the US and since Libya was important to them, we owed them our support. He said nothing about genocide or humanitarian concern for the Libyan population, the reasons Obama gave to the US public.

Interesting that the mindset of this man is that we owe anyone in Europe anything, after fighting two world wars and protecting them from the spread of the iron curtain with our strategic umbrella, all at the expense of the US taxpayer.

The interviewer then pointed out that Libya, then, was a case of a "discretionary" US action, of the type Gates said mere moments earlier he was much less likely to support. His response was along the lines of, "That's a valid point".

Bush, Obama, Gates.... all more or less the same, and all pretty scary in my book.
              Last edited by Andy_M; 06-24-2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

The troops are there to fight terrorism, but their hands are tied. We can't cross borders, we can't go after those giving shelter and supplies to the enenmy. How many more brave young Americans have to be wounded or die to stay engaged in the administration's half hearted approach? I want to see all of those in the military have a choice of either staying in or being employed elsewhere. The problem is that many don't have a choice if they want to provide for themselves and their families. Nothing has been done to bring back jobs. Clearly tax breaks are not the answer when we have lost thousands of businesses and millions of jobs. I have zero confidence that a different administration will do any better. Things in washington move at a snails pace, there are no solutions and no legislators with the stuff it takes to save our beautiful country. Cutting taxes, breaking Unions and government make work programs will not replace American based businesses and jobs. God Bless our Troops and keep them safe. Frank

Comment

Dave you are of the mistaken notion that someone wants the boarder patroled
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm a someone and I want, no I demand, that the boarder be patroled. Anybody else wanna be a someone?
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The troops are not really "coming home" just yet. There will be 10,000 (about 10%) coming home this year. Next year (in time for elections) another 23,000 troops are coming home which will still leave about 60,000-troops in Afghanistan. Those troops will allow some of the Guard to return to their civilian jobs and extend rotation times in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.

All of the above is of course predicated on conditions on the ground. That is not a popular concept and Bush was always getting beat up over it. However, I don't believe Obama would intentionally hurt the troops over saving his popularity with his base.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                        Well, I'm a someone and I want, no I demand, that the boarder be patroled. Anybody else wanna be a someone?
                        I've wanted our borders secured and immigration laws enforced for years, but it has not and obviously will not happen! Who should we blame, President Obama, former President Bush who was a great buddy of mexico's then president vincente fox? Maybe we can blame every President and administration? Why are Americans not entitled to know who is in our country and have our laws respected? In my opinion allowing the borders to remain open and having illegals make use of our many government offering without contributing to the tax base is like opening the front doors to our homes and our wallets and saying come and help yourself! We the tax payers are footing the bill at the hospital, pharmacy, insurance rates and tax time for a group of people who are not even here legally.

Before anyone gets upset, Yes, the ones who are not criminals are hard workers. Now go and try doing that in their homeland and see what response you get. America is doomed, doomed, doomed. Be my guest and buying your head in your little world while dirt is being tossed on America's grave by illegals, capitalists, lobbyists and legislators.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          The troops are not really "coming home" just yet. There will be 10,000 (about 10%) coming home this year. Next year (in time for elections) another 23,000 troops are coming home which will still leave about 60,000-troops in Afghanistan. Those troops will allow some of the Guard to return to their civilian jobs and extend rotation times in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.

All of the above is of course predicated on conditions on the ground. That is not a popular concept and Bush was always getting beat up over it. However, I don't believe Obama would intentionally hurt the troops over saving his popularity with his base.

Mark
                          Mark, if President Obama and his expert advisors are too stupid to fix the economy, could he unintentionally hurt the troops? By refusing to engage those who are giving refuge and arms to the enemy is he not hurting the troops?

Comment

We need the troops home here on the border, before this violence spills onto our very own streets. Way too many deaths on the border, and something needs to be done.

Obama is trying to move to the center to save his political a$$...but it's kind of too late for that now imo.

Comment

Thank God its time to cut and run after ten years and another lost war under our belts its a pity we didn`t understand the past and the many empires throughout history who have tried to conquer Afghanistan.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X