Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Bright Idea

Power grid change may disrupt clocks
    Updated 10h 41m ago |
    79 | 3ShareWASHINGTON (AP) — A yearlong experiment with the nation's electric grid could mess up traffic lights, security systems and some computers — and make plug-in clocks and appliances like programmable coffeemakers run up to 20 minutes fast.

"A lot of people are going to have things break and they're not going to know why," said Demetrios Matsakis, head of the time service department at the U.S. Naval Observatory, one of two official timekeeping agencies in the federal government.

Just another distraction to keep us off balance and cause more of our chinese junk to break!

Re: Another Bright Idea

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    Power grid change may disrupt clocks
    Updated 10h 41m ago |
    79 | 3ShareWASHINGTON (AP) — A yearlong experiment with the nation's electric grid could mess up traffic lights, security systems and some computers — and make plug-in clocks and appliances like programmable coffeemakers run up to 20 minutes fast.

"A lot of people are going to have things break and they're not going to know why," said Demetrios Matsakis, head of the time service department at the U.S. Naval Observatory, one of two official timekeeping agencies in the federal government.

Just another distraction to keep us off balance and cause more of our chinese junk to break!
    God forbid--it will be year 2000 all over again!! Will planes fall out of the sky? Everything shut down? I better start hoarding right now! Oh well, at least it will give Frankie something new to ***** about. :-)

Comment

I read that same articale on masslive. I highly doubt computer systems will be affected very much. Most, if not all power supplies are not only dual voltage, but dual frequencies as well. Hell, when I was overseas, I have seen computers run on 120 volts / 50 hertz and work just fine. Afterall, such systems convert AC to DC anyway, so the frequency really isn't as important as it used to be.

Though, truth be told, I wonder if the industrial and research sectors will be affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
        God forbid--it will be year 2000 all over again!! Will planes fall out of the sky? Everything shut down? I better start hoarding right now! Oh well, at least it will give Frankie something new to ***** about. :-)
        And here I thought I was being helpful

Comment

Working...
        X