Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The things you've done to entertain your children?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The things you've done to entertain your children?

I had my kiddos at the fair, my youngest (turns 3 on labor day) decided she wanted to play fetch. Well, there were no dogs available to play fetch with, so she decided she was going to be the dog. I was mildly disturbed and curious where she learned this behavior, but it was keeping her occupied, was not costing me any money, I wasn't going to argue. I would toss the frisbe, she would run out to get it and try to pick it up with her teeth, bring it back, throw, fetch, retrieve, repeat.... Eventually she got bored, pointed at me and made the statement "It's your turn to be the doggie daddy!" Ok, Ok, I will be the Doggie.

I wasn't about to spend the next hour throwing and fetching the Frisbee, so when I fetched it, I played keep away and tug of war with her. I have to say that is one expensive pink dog, and a rabbid looking one in the white....

What odd things have you done to entertain your kiddos?
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Re: The things you've done to entertain your children?

34 Years ago We had Pal a St. Bernard. I built a killer, gable end large dog house for Him.He never used it! I cut a large tree
    leaving 8 ft. off the ground. Installed Dog House and surrounding deck. Ran a galvy Zip line up higher. Cut Bike frame at head stock, Leaving only rim and handle bars. Ran rope through handles. Brian would grab this and ride it about 60 ft stepping off at up slope. I have No idea where all the Lil Guys came from But all were welcome! Nobody ever thought about Law suits back then! We ALL had a ball!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

seeing that i'm just starting out. phoebe just turned 10 months. i'm sure there will be plenty of things in phoebe's future that i will consider to be entertaining and joey will consider dangerous and stupid

all you need to do is go to youtube and search rick8555 http://www.youtube.com/user/RICK8555#p/u

then you'll see what phoebe is in store for

rick.
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-28-2011, 09:32 PM. Reason: link
      phoebe it is

Comment

Nineteen years ago I built a pressure treated swing set for my daughter. Copied details from the wealthy neighbors. In terms of simple entertainment, I played music on the stereo and danced with my daughters. My girls loved to dance and sing. I miss them being little, two and three years old. Treasure every opportunity to play and laugh, the time does fly. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Nineteen years ago I built a pressure treated swing set for my daughter. Copied details from the wealthy neighbors. In terms of simple entertainment, I played music on the stereo and danced with my daughters. My girls loved to dance and sing. I miss them being little, two and three years old. Treasure every opportunity to play and laugh, the time does fly. Frank
          Yes I also have 3 wonderful daughters and 1 Son. They gave Us 8 wonderful Grand Kids! Great Memorys FOREVER !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The boys love playing in the mud when it rains. Sometimes I will wrestle with em and get completely filthy.

Another thing I find amazing is how awkward it was reading to kids when I first became a dad. Now I use voices and do stupid stuff I would be embarrassed to do around adults.

I'm sure there is way more to come. I love having my kids the age they are and playing with em. Sometimes its hard after a long day but its also therapeutic.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
              The boys love playing in the mud when it rains. Sometimes I will wrestle with em and get completely filthy.

Another thing I find amazing is how awkward it was reading to kids when I first became a dad. Now I use voices and do stupid stuff I would be embarrassed to do around adults.

I'm sure there is way more to come. I love having my kids the age they are and playing with em. Sometimes its hard after a long day but its also therapeutic.
              Josh, made me feel good to read your post. Mud washes off, and the boys will look back years from now and remeber all the fun they had playing with Dad. I also like the idea of not being afraid to look silly now and then, or in my case to admit I'm wrong once in a while. That stuffy, always in control, always right ideal of a Father robs the kids and us Dads of a closer relationship.

Comment

We have one son and from day one I've always been absolutely fascinated with him. (He's 42 now... and honestly I'm still fascinated, although sometimes questionably; but hey, he's still my favorite guy!)

When he was an infant, I just couldn't wait the rush home and give him his "feeding". Just marveled at looking at him as I held the bottle. Then we got into reading and I'd really get into "Dr. Seuze". He'd smile at my reading antics and it must have taken because by three, he was able to read!

When he was a toddler I'd stick him on the back of the bicycle and we'd ride all over town (we were newly in Painted Post by then) and it was go here, go there, go faster etc. The little guy would certanly keep me in shape.

As he was growing up, he managed quite well to let me "grow down"... it was like a second childhood for me as I'd get back into old hobbies and find new ones that would delight both of us. My wife would spend hours in the kitchen with him during the day, making cookies, pies, and other pastries with him. He loved (and still does) baking and cooking. For me, him and I were "buddies" and we'd talk and play and just have a great time.

Now that he is a father and has his own family to keep him busy, we don't get together as much as I'd like. I miss that a lot. They only live a few blocks away, but his jobs and family keeps him all too busy. But I admire the importance he places on his two boys. We still get together on occasion and he has often brought up fond memories of things we did when he was a kid.

Overall, I viewed fatherhood as great fun and a time which went by all too quickly. Really silly stuff at times I suppose; but what memories for all of us.

CWS

Comment

we started off with one old pony and end up with 6 horses at one time, and then had 2 pasture ornaments for about 10 years after the kids left home. no horses any more, who know may have to start in again with the grand kids, (still have all the saddles and tack)

driving 40 miles one way for dance lessons, for I do not know how many years,

motorcycles, then hours helping build derby cars, I alway wondered where all my steel stock went to,

I also bought them a lawn tractor, (they did not think it was as much fun as I did watching them use it) mow the 7 or so acers during the summer, but it entertained them much of the summer, LOL I think wife keep them entertained pulling weeds in the garden as well,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                  X