X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bye Amazon, thanks for the memories

There is a flea market here that vendors will set up and sell their goods just like in most places. Alot of these people are just weekenders selling off their junk......but some of them are not,they are in the business of selling junk. The State and the city stepped in and required everyone who rents a booth to charge and pay sales tax. Now some may not tell you your paying tax but at the end of the day the vendor is paying the tax or they are evading.

Money brings attention.......with that attention comes the TAX MAN!!!! Come on.....everyone knows this dont they?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      If you pay for your vacation from home in California then you should pay sales tax on it. If you go out of state and purchase a vacation you would hafta pay that states sales tax........right? Why should a guy not hafta pay sales tax just because he paid for it over a phone or a computer? How can you justify that as right when the loca/statel goverment provides services through sales tax revenue?

Ebay is next watch and see!!! There are millions of $$$$$$ being lost through sales tax evasion for one reason or another. It is either easier to buy online or its cheaper.....or both. Either way you want to look at it the local and state goverments are loosing money hand over fist.
      Interesting concept, so while I am sitting at my desk in California paying gardeners, utility bills, our whatever other expenses on out of state properties those vendors should be collecting sales taxes to send back ti California?

By the way, eBay sales were already included.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Interesting concept, so while I am sitting at my desk in California paying gardeners, utility bills, our whatever other expenses on out of state properties those vendors should be collecting sales taxes to send back ti California?

By the way, eBay sales were already included.

Mark
        Not unless you are sending them their material then they should pay tax to their state and local goverments on that material. You dont pay tax on services or you dont here anyway.

Comment

Not unless you are sending them their material then they should pay tax to their state and local goverments on that material. You dont pay tax on services or you dont here anyway.
          Okay I'll bite, what materials did I send out of State on the vacation you want me taxed on?

When materials are used with those services I pay to out of State contractors I am paying sales tax in the States where the property is located. Using your logic those contractors should be also collecting taxes for California.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Okay I'll bite, what materials did I send out of State on the vacation you want me taxed on?

When materials are used with those services I pay to out of State contractors I am paying sales tax in the States where the property is located. Using your logic those contractors should be also collecting taxes for California.

Mark
            No your misunderstanding. Your not on vacation,your at home in california. You call hawaii and book a vacation and pay for it while in california you should pay sales tax on it. WHY?
            because the guy who shops at the travel agancy down the street has to pay it and its only fair that you pay it also.

Using your logic there would be NO store fronts.......everyone would set up a business in a neighboring state and just ship things around to avoid sales tax if it didn't exceed the cost of transportation. Make sense?

They have been doing it with cars here for years......buy a car out of state and bring it back YOU WILL PAY TAX on that car before you receive a license plate. Keeps people from going out of state to avoid sales tax.

What good to the community are you if you buy most of your items offline? How does that support local economy? It doesn't. The property tax is set at a level that assumes people will be spending the majority money in their general area that they live and some places give whats called a homestead exemption and property tax is cut to a cheaper rate. People shopping online an not paying sales tax throws the ratio off......the main one being tax revenue.......next buisiness start closing.......no jobs because all the money is going out of state.

Comment

No your misunderstanding. Your not on vacation,your at home in california. You call hawaii and book a vacation and pay for it while in california you should pay sales tax on it. WHY?
              because the guy who shops at the travel agancy down the street has to pay it and its only fair that you pay it also.

Using your logic there would be NO store fronts.......everyone would set up a business in a neighboring state and just ship things around to avoid sales tax if it didn't exceed the cost of transportation. Make sense?

They have been doing it with cars here for years......buy a car out of state and bring it back YOU WILL PAY TAX on that car before you receive a license plate. Keeps people from going out of state to avoid sales tax.

What good to the community are you if you buy most of your items offline? How does that support local economy? It doesn't. The property tax is set at a level that assumes people will be spending the majority money in their general area that they live and some places give whats called a homestead exemption and property tax is cut to a cheaper rate. People shopping online an not paying sales tax throws the ratio off......the main one being tax revenue.......next buisiness start closing.......no jobs because all the money is going out of state.
              First off no one can survive by buying online only. I pay sales taxes on almost everything I do. In addition, I pay both Federal and Local income taxes. Now some even want to charge sales tax to new home buyers. What throws the ratio off is not untaxed online purchases it is the Government spending too much money. To date the courts have said online purchases across State lines are the same as mail order and not subject to the seller collecting sales tax. The only way California could get pass the Law was to pass a Bill saying online retailers who have affiliates in California now are considered to have a physical presence in California. Amazon warned what they would do and they did it. Now the 10,000 Amazon affiliates who were collecting taxes on sales to California were let go. Where's the winners?

Mark

Comment

You guys are arguing about this, but the law is the law.

You don't pay sales tax on labor, you pay it on goods. Gardeners and such are irrelevant, except if they're selling you, say, sod or fertilzer or plants. They they have to collect tax on the material, but still not on the labor.

In CA, the tax, according to law, is owed and due on any taxable item delivered to a CA address. The issue with Amazon is NOT whether the tax is due. It is. The issue is whether Amazon of other online retailers have to collect it.

Currently, there is a line on your CA state income tax form where you are supposed to pay the tax for items (not labor) bought from out-of-state sellers that are not required to collect the tax. The problem is, CA has no good way of enforcing this, which is why they are going after Amazon. Not a lot of people send in the sales tax on their out of state purchases delivered to their homes or businesses.

Amazon, and other online retailers, don't want to collect the tax for at least two reasons. The first is obvious - it is a competitive advantage for them, since very few people actually volunteer to pay the sales tax. The second is, if you're Amazon, you ship to every county and every city. According to CA State BOE law, you have to charge not only the base state tax rate, but also the county and city sales tax rates. This would be a massive amount of data for Amazon. Yes it could and would be computerized, but it would cost them money and would have to be managed and the software maintained.

Downstream, you can bet that if Amazon is forced to start collecting tax, other states will follow CA's lead and do the same thing, insisting that Amazon (and all online sellers) start to collect tax. This would be a massive task.

It will be an interesting tussle. Again, the issue is who collects the tax. CA hasn't got a good way to do it or to even determine how much money is at stake, since they can't monitor online sales. For CA to implement some way to enforce the state sales tax law as it's currently written would cost a fortune, and require some cooperation from out-of-state retailers. This is problematic since CA has no jurisdiction over out of state businesses. Even if they could come up with a method of engorcement, CA is broke and thus can't afford to implement it. So they want the retailer to do the collection.

The problem I have with sales tax and many other types of taxes in general is that they're double taxation. We already paid state income tax on that money, then we're taxed again based on how we choose to use what's left.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post

The problem I have with sales tax and many other types of taxes in general is that they're double taxation. We already paid state income tax on that money, then we're taxed again based on how we choose to use what's left.
                  And when they mismanage the money they get they say they need to raise taxes, because they don't have enough. All across this country businesses & people have learned to survive with less income than they had 3 years, but the federal, most state & local goverments can't, because they have no money management skills.

Comment

I pay no sales tax with anything I buy from Amazon.

We don't have a tax problem or shortfall in this country, we have a spending problem in this country.

But we shouldn't b*tch, because "we the people" put these a$$hats in office to tax us to death.

Comment

People cant live online shopping but you can get close. About the only thing I see you couldn't order in from out of state and still save money is food. People in Florida do not pay tax on unprepared food or state income tax. So that leaves property tax and car tags......and SALES TAX........the tax that people are cheating by shopping online and not claiming the USE TAX of the goods.

Claim that the tax is not used right...yadda yadda yadda but it still doesn't change the fact that it owed and the rest of the tax is figured around expecting sales tax revenue.

Dont complain when you own a home and your property tax doubles becauseyour neighbor that shops online will probably not mind and pay it with all the money they are saving by not paying sales tax.

You dont think online stores have an advantage over a store front? Whats inventory tax in cali cost ya?
                      Last edited by TheMaster; 07-05-2011, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Nice to see that this thread has been unlocked after a 5 day cool off period, or whatever reason it was.
                        I didn't see where it was getting out of hand but apparently Mark or someone else did as it was locked
                        on 7/2/11 when I went to post a comment.

Anyway its for the best as I forgot what I was going to say way back then 5 days ago.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Anyone upset in California by this new law, now is your chance to do something about it.

California AG Kamala Harris OKs Amazon referendum - Sacramento Business, Housing Market News | Sacramento Bee

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            Nice to see that this thread has been unlocked after a 5 day cool off period, or whatever reason it was.
                            I didn't see where it was getting out of hand but apparently Mark or someone else did as it was locked
                            on 7/2/11 when I went to post a comment.

Anyway its for the best as I forgot what I was going to say way back then 5 days ago.
                            Toutahnow locked it by mistake. I thought he was mad and he locked it.....after aboiut 5 days to let him cool off i asked him why he locked it. Turned out to be a mistake. He hit the lock button by mistake. LOL

Comment

Toutahnow locked it by mistake. I thought he was mad and he locked it.....after aboiut 5 days to let him cool off i asked him why he locked it. Turned out to be a mistake. He hit the lock button by mistake. LOL
                              Only partially true. The box to close the thread is 1/8" X 1/8". It is within in a area which is 3/8" X 18 1/2". Now 14" to the right of the "Close this thread" box and 1/16" below is the "Post Quick Reply" button. It turns out, the entire 3/8" X 18 1/2" area will cause the "Close this thread" box to be checked. So if I miss the "Post Quick Reply" button by 1/16" it will check the "Close this thread" box 14" away. Talk about a dumb layout.

Mark

Comment

I hope Brenda has removed that big red Launch button off Your desk !
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                                X