X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye Amazon, thanks for the memories

An estimated 10,000 California Amazon Affiliates just lost their opportunity to do business through Amazon. Another victory for an over reaching Government.

Amazon Drops California In Growing E-Commerce Affiliate Tax Law War | ZDNet

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Bye Amazon, thanks for the memories

This has been creeping in for years. When we moved to Florida, my wife made a large purchase of furniture on line through a North Carolina company to save on sales tax. They delivered it on a third party truck. The driver warned us that Florida DOT or Agriculture had stopped them and had gone through the delivery paper work and we would be getting a bill for the sales tax on the furniture from the state. Sure enough we did.
    Mike

Comment

Don't believe they will gain a dime. They'll miscalculate or have already miscalculated their estimates off of recorded sales and not taking into account the big picture of revenue.

Bet the state will lose money in the end.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Don't believe they will gain a dime. They'll miscalculate or have already miscalculated their estimates off of recorded sales and not taking into account the big picture of revenue.

Bet the state will lose money in the end.

J.C.

The reality is that Government is a parasite on the economy in that they extract a bit of life blood but don't contribute to the goods and services pool.

In nature, there are beneficial parasites that do help out the organism. Government was intended to do this, by handling functions that the private sector economy is unable or unwilling to address. However, parasites, even beneficial ones, must always be controlled. In the case of the US, the Gov't parasite is out of control and has grown to the point where it dominates the organism.

At this point, everything the out-of-control Gov't parasite does brings the organism closer to death. The defense budget is out of control at nearly $700B. The total tax rate on the population (Federal, state, payroll taxes, property taxes, excise taxes, corporate taxes, etc) exceed 50% for a large segment of the Citizenry. Others pay nothing and are subsidized to *do* nothing via the taxes paid by those that produce. Government regulations control virtually every aspect of not only business, but life. You have to have insurance, you have to have health care, you have to wear a helmet, you have to get permission to cut down a tree on your property, you have to... you have to... you have to...

CA is not competitive. The US is not competitive. Gov't is the reason.

Maybe we should outsource Government. Probably could get it better and cheaper.
        Last edited by Andy_M; 06-30-2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

This has been going on for a while. Every time a state tries to make Amazon collect the tax, Amazon just shuts down the affiliate program in that state.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
            The reality is that Government is a parasite on the economy in that they extract a bit of life blood but don't contribute to the goods and services pool.

In nature, there are beneficial parasites that do help out the organism. Government was intended to do this, by handling functions that the private sector economy is unable or unwilling to address. However, parasites, even beneficial ones, must always be controlled. In the case of the US, the Gov't parasite is out of control and has grown to the point where it dominates the organism.

At this point, everything the out-of-control Gov't parasite does brings the organism closer to death. The defense budget is out of control at nearly $700B. The total tax rate on the population (Federal, state, payroll taxes, property taxes, excise taxes, corporate taxes, etc) exceed 50% for a large segment of the Citizenry. Others pay nothing and are subsidized to *do* nothing via the taxes paid by those that produce. Government regulations control virtually every aspect of not only business, but life. You have to have insurance, you have to have health care, you have to wear a helmet, you have to get permission to cut down a tree on your property, you have to... you have to... you have to...

CA is not competitive. The US is not competitive. Gov't is the reason.

Maybe we should outsource Government. Probably could get it better and cheaper.
            Andy, if communist china ever takes control of our country there will be law and order. There won't be anymore democracy and freedom, but that's our fault. Now, do I watch the President play golf, or the casey anthony trial? Nothing seems to be more important!

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
              This has been going on for a while. Every time a state tries to make Amazon collect the tax, Amazon just shuts down the affiliate program in that state.
              That is why I find this so absurd. The State Board of Equalization did an analysis which found the new tax will only work if Amazon agreed to it. Amazon already said they would close down the affiliate program if the bill was signed and they signed it anyways. This will reportedly cause the State to lose over $100,000,000 in current revenue. Now add to that the Bill was written in a way that any online retailer who has any Californian affiliate who provides service will have to collect taxes on sales to Californians. That means services like accounting, printing, research or anything else.

Mark
              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-30-2011, 04:34 PM.
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Unbelievable!

When does the madness stop?

Philadelphia is ranked #2 city in the country when it comes to being taxed with over 20 tax laws, and a budget shortfall of $629 million! Last year they raised property taxes 10% and a slew of other taxes, and this year they tried to raise it 10% again, a long with taxing all soda consumption in the city, plus raise the rate of parking.
                The soda tax got thrown out, and property taxes are only being raised in the 3% area, and a $1.00 raise in parking meters now. ($2.00 an hr to park). No wonder why people are moving out of Philly in droves!

What does this have to do with the original topic?

1952 was the last time Philadelphia seen a Republican Mayor!

You guys can figure out the rest....
                Last edited by Flux; 06-30-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I guess the remaining residents will be clinging to their guns and religion then..

Comment

Philly also has DROP.

If you haven't heard about it, Google it.
                    Anyone who votes for a mayor or councilman who supports DROP and other
                    worthless programs like it has no one to blame but themselves for their high
                    tax rate, lack of services, and corrupt government.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 07-01-2011, 04:14 PM. Reason: fixed some spelling typos
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Mark, your big problem is expecting the government to use sound logic when writing and passing these laws.

You should know better by now.

I don't have the info in front of me, but several of the larger companies are banding together to try to get some lobbying power and prevent laws like this from happening. I'll post the info when I find it again.

Comment

Will I be able to still purchase products from amazon ? I'm confused, is it over for us all in Kaliforna?
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

This is happening more and more and personally I dislike it too. Here in NY state, the sales tax issue appears to be under constant battle as the state government attempts to wring every dime it can out of the consumer. Basically as it stands now, any entity that has an office or retail outlet within the state must charge sales tax. Likewise, NY has certain reciprocating agreements with other states (as I understand it) and purchases by NY residents from businesses in such states are charged sales tax.

My argument, is that it's a damn "Sales" tax... NOT a "PURCHASE" tax! The state in which the "sale" is made may or may not levy a tax on the sale, but certainly my state of residence has no right whatsoever in taxing what I spend or purchase when I'm traveling elsewhere.

I remember when it was first voted on and implemented. Stupid people who voted for it, thought it was going to lower their state income tax. I was too young to vote at the time, but well remember its implementation. But, I clearly remember that it was proposed as a tax on certain retail sales and that the tax would be the responsibility of the retailer and could be passed on to the consumer. In such cases, the consumer's receipt must show the sales tax charge and it must be itemized separately on the purchase receipt. Of course, no retailer was just going to pick up the tab themselves and in every case where the "sales" tax applied it was of course going to be paid by the consumer at the time of purchase! BUT, it was still a tax on the "sale" of the item and NOT the "purchase" of the item. It was only years (maybe even decades, that this got twisted around and NY state started going after consumers who made "purchases" beyond the state's borders and, at least in my opinion, beyond their authority too.

Again, this "sales" tax was put forth as a tax on certain retail sales and that is what the population voted on. It was not proposed or put forth in any other way and we did not vote for any other interpretation or broadening of scope, that I recall. Likewise, nothing was said about NY residents having any responsibility whatsoever to pay a tax on every purchase they made regardless of where they made it.

Yet, it has been reported that NY State Police are often seen across the border at PA and NJ shopping centers, taking down license plate numbers of NY cars. That sounds really stupid, and I have no idea if it's true or not, but I for one would never submit to paying NY any tax on a purchase that I made in an adjacent state. Again, it's a "sales" tax and NOT a purchase tax! If a county in PA wanted to charge me a "sales" tax, then I'd certainly not question it or make a claim that I don't live in that county. Where I live shouldn't have a bearing... it's where the product is being sold.

To that end, I have and will continue to make certain purchase decisions based on where a retailer is located. I don't do it always, but for really significant purchases I will gladly inform the retailer of my decision not to purchase because of their recip agreement with NY and I've also complained to my local state senator. All on deaf ears of course!

Here in NY, the "sales" tax also changes from one county to another. The "state" gets theirs and the particular county where the purchase is made has their own percentage. One county might be 8% and another might be 7% or something else. Indian reservation are another battleground, as the state has attempted time and again to levy cigerette taxes on sales made within the various tribe's soveriegn territory. These court battles are ongoing, but the bottom line is that the states are desparate in their attempts to squeeze all the revenue they can out of us.

CWS

Comment

The N.Y. Police go outa state and take down Lic. plate ##s ! Sounds like pre war Germany, SCARY
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

This has happened in NJ too. With Delaware (the home of tax free shopping as they like to advertise themselves) right across the river from Southern NJ, the State has been known to do the same as NY with people coming across the Delaware Memorial Bridge. For many years (started sometime in the 70s) they have had in force an agreement/law/regulation (don't know which it is, end result is the same) for anyone buying a car in Delaware and registering the car in NJ that you have to pay NJ the sales tax same as if you bought it here, doesn't matter if the dealer has a dealership in NJ or not.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X