Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The woodsmans pal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The woodsmans pal

    Does anyone own one of these? If so,what do you think about it?

  • #2
    Re: The woodsmans pal

    Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
    Does anyone own one of these? If so,what do you think about it?
    I have no clue what you are talking about
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The woodsmans pal

      Here is a link Old1.
      Woodman's Pal Store - Flat Rate Shipping

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The woodsmans pal


        I have one of those, in fact, I've had it for about 45 years. It was a military issue as a survival tool for pilots and crewman. So, nothing new here, been around for ages.


        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The woodsmans pal

          Originally posted by lreops View Post

          I have one of those, in fact, I've had it for about 45 years. It was a military issue as a survival tool for pilots and crewman. So, nothing new here, been around for ages.


          Is it worth a crap?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The woodsmans pal

            I like this utility tool from what I see. Looks really heavy duty.

            Pro Tool Chisel Utility Knife - PT102

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The woodsmans pal

              Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              Is it worth a crap?
              Well, I guess it depends on you. As my grand pappy always told me, "10% equipment...90% operator".





              Good chances are that if the military used it and it had proved itself to be of value, and if the design has survived for this many years, refer to the above statement.


              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The woodsmans pal

                Originally posted by lreops View Post
                Well, I guess it depends on you. As my grand pappy always told me, "10% equipment...90% operator".





                Good chances are that if the military used it and it had proved itself to be of value, and if the design has survived for this many years, refer to the above statement.


                I'll take that as you like it. Things can change over time and products can be sold on a reputaton of a past quality that are really a POS.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The woodsmans pal

                  It's been all too many years, but it sure beats using a machete which is about worthless unless you're cutting really tall grass or sugar cane. Of course the blade quality and heft matters a lot too.

                  But the problem using any kind of "knife" like this is more or less just the poor ergonomics. If you're clearing a path through the jungle it's okay (if the blade is heavy enough... I prefer a Bolo Knife which has a blade about 1/4" thick). But if you're using it to clear brush around the home or cottage, you want something that is lower to the ground like a good old sythe (sp?). That way you don't have to kill your back bending over to hack away at it.

                  Of course if you're looking to take down a tree with it or cut up a few fallen limbs for a campfire, then I'd much prefer the heft of a good ol' "hatchet" or a "camp axe".

                  CWS
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 07-05-2011, 11:12 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The woodsmans pal

                    I love mine. I have had it for a few years now and use it when clearing the trails before snowmobile season starts. It will fell a 1.5" pine in 2 swings or less.
                    I also use it to clear off branches that grow into the walking trail and clear out some of the dense pine branches when walking in to spray for poison ivy.
                    Good quality blade and handle, fits the hand nicely and feels natural in use.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The woodsmans pal

                      Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                      I love mine. I have had it for a few years now and use it when clearing the trails before snowmobile season starts. It will fell a 1.5" pine in 2 swings or less.
                      I also use it to clear off branches that grow into the walking trail and clear out some of the dense pine branches when walking in to spray for poison ivy.
                      Good quality blade and handle, fits the hand nicely and feels natural in use.
                      I'm buying one or two of them today. Thanks.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The woodsmans pal

                        keep one behind the seat of the chevy.
                        I call it " The Getto Pal "
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The woodsmans pal

                          I did buy one of those woodsman pals and it seems to be a fine tool. 4 stars.........its too pricey to get 5 stars.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X