X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only in America

Humberto Leal, 38, is awaiting a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court on whether to block his lethal injection in Huntsville. He was sentenced to die for the 1994 rape and murder of 16-year-old Adria Sauceda of San Antonio.

The appeal contends that authorities never told Leal after his arrest that he could seek legal assistance from the Mexican government under an international treaty, and that such assistance would have aided his defense. Leal moved to the U.S. as a toddler.

Re: Only in America

You're correct, only in America. Wonder how that would work if the situation was reversed?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'll give you another example of "Only in America"....one that I'm personally living:

I've mentioned this before, but my wife and I bought a future home in the city, about five years ago. I still have a place in Painted Post and for the time we're keeping them both. Main reason is that I have this neighbor in the city that has physically threatened us both. Short of breaking the law myself, there is little that I can do about it, other than to report the abusive behaviour to the police, which really doesn't result in anything positive.

But, I put up with their abusive language, loud radios, car horns, trash, and constant noise from the many windchimes and other noise makers they've put in their yard. I've had my home damaged on three occasions and each time the police clearly think that it's my "neighbor"... but without witnesses, there is no proof and "there's no sense in talking to them as it will only esculate the situation".

They let their garbage stack up, sometimes for weeks before they'll take it to curb for city pickup. They've got piles of stuff stacked up in and around their garage and their overgrown yard. They rarely shovel their walks in the winter and then only enough to get their car in and out.

But here's the "only in America" part: It appears that these pigs bought this property on a "land contract", with a third party listed as the property owner. Close to four years ago, they stopped paying the elderly lady and after several month the property owner of record let the property go back to HSBC bank. The foreclosure went through the normal process, complete with a legel firm acting as a "referee".

Since that time, the bank has been trying to evict these people who are living there without paying taxes, mortgage, or even rent. Yet, they still get all the services of the city, even though they don't pay a dime for them. With all of this extra money that they have from "squatting" (the bank's term), they've bought two new cars, an above ground pool, gas grills, lawn mowers, snow blowers, and are in a constant "shopping" mode, bringing home bags and bags of new clothes and other purchases almost every day of the week.

Finally, last month, the local judge signed the process allowing the bank to proceed with the sale of the property. But of course they still haven't been able to evict! Now these wonderful folks have applied for "Poor Person" status... which my lawyer tells me will most likely be granted. In this case, these people can now freely file against the bank in order to remain on the property.

The "bank" tells me they have absolutely no control over the property and that these people can do whatever they want, including destroy the property. This past February they cut down a huge beautifl,white birtch in the back yard and are just today, hiring a couple of local guys to cut down all the hedges around "their" house, as it's too much work to trim them and they are now way above their windows.

This guy is several years younger than me, he's much too young to retire, (he was a baggage handler for one of the airlines and apparently left that job in his early 50's, for whatever reason). I've never seen him do anything except sit in the back yard and blast his radio and yet with no visible source of income, they spend like they're dragging in a $100K.

So, I simply don't understand. How can one not have any financial or civic responsibility, not pay taxes, not pay rent or a mortgage, and yet still buy new cars and daily "stuff"? How can they constantly "go out", away for "weekends", and have a steady stream of "pizza" deliveries. With all of this, they have the audacity of claiming "poor person" status and then using the legal system to maintain their hold on the property?

Yeah, "Only in America",

CWS

(and my apologies to your Frank, for hijacking your thread... but it's not been a good moring!)

So, that's my personal view of only in America

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        I'll give you another example of "Only in America"....one that I'm personally living:

I've mentioned this before, but my wife and I bought a future home in the city, about five years ago. I still have a place in Painted Post and for the time we're keeping them both. Main reason is that I have this neighbor in the city that has physically threatened us both. Short of breaking the law myself, there is little that I can do about it, other than to report the abusive behaviour to the police, which really doesn't result in anything positive.

But, I put up with their abusive language, loud radios, car horns, trash, and constant noise from the many windchimes and other noise makers they've put in their yard. I've had my home damaged on three occasions and each time the police clearly think that it's my "neighbor"... but without witnesses, there is no proof and "there's no sense in talking to them as it will only esculate the situation".

They let their garbage stack up, sometimes for weeks before they'll take it to curb for city pickup. They've got piles of stuff stacked up in and around their garage and their overgrown yard. They rarely shovel their walks in the winter and then only enough to get their car in and out.

But here's the "only in America" part: It appears that these pigs bought this property on a "land contract", with a third party listed as the property owner. Close to four years ago, they stopped paying the elderly lady and after several month the property owner of record let the property go back to HSBC bank. The foreclosure went through the normal process, complete with a legel firm acting as a "referee".

Since that time, the bank has been trying to evict these people who are living there without paying taxes, mortgage, or even rent. Yet, they still get all the services of the city, even though they don't pay a dime for them. With all of this extra money that they have from "squatting" (the bank's term), they've bought two new cars, an above ground pool, gas grills, lawn mowers, snow blowers, and are in a constant "shopping" mode, bringing home bags and bags of new clothes and other purchases almost every day of the week.

Finally, last month, the local judge signed the process allowing the bank to proceed with the sale of the property. But of course they still haven't been able to evict! Now these wonderful folks have applied for "Poor Person" status... which my lawyer tells me will most likely be granted. In this case, these people can now freely file against the bank in order to remain on the property.

The "bank" tells me they have absolutely no control over the property and that these people can do whatever they want, including destroy the property. This past February they cut down a huge beautifl,white birtch in the back yard and are just today, hiring a couple of local guys to cut down all the hedges around "their" house, as it's too much work to trim them and they are now way above their windows.

This guy is several years younger than me, he's much too young to retire, (he was a baggage handler for one of the airlines and apparently left that job in his early 50's, for whatever reason). I've never seen him do anything except sit in the back yard and blast his radio and yet with no visible source of income, they spend like they're dragging in a $100K.

So, I simply don't understand. How can one not have any financial or civic responsibility, not pay taxes, not pay rent or a mortgage, and yet still buy new cars and daily "stuff"? How can they constantly "go out", away for "weekends", and have a steady stream of "pizza" deliveries. With all of this, they have the audacity of claiming "poor person" status and then using the legal system to maintain their hold on the property?

Yeah, "Only in America",

CWS

(and my apologies to your Frank, for hijacking your thread... but it's not been a good moring!)

So, that's my personal view of only in America
        No apology necessary. I feel so frustrated to read such a story, and my mind starts to think bad thoughts. CWS, I would like to point out that the decent person sees this sort of situation as cut and dry. You can't get the authorities to take action and you do not want to resort to violence. There are all kinds of methods for seeking revenge and beating these folks at their own game, you simply have to know where to look! Just as the honest hard working person gets up and goes to work, the criminal makes his living with a different mindset. I say this because the person who knows how to handle this situation has a different set of skills from which to work. I would be willing to bet there are any number of ways to get these folks to up and move without firing a bullet or throwing a punch.

Comment

CWS, I'm going through a similar situation with a tenant of mine. Tuesday I had what I thought was a court date setup and paid for by me to evict this tenant for failure to pay the last 3 month rent. When I got to the hearing which somehow got turned into a mediation without any knowledge of that by me. The mediator asked my deadbeat tenant if they were comfortable with mediation but of course never asked me the same question. Long story short, a move out date was agreed too. The kicker is, because we "mediated" this the deadbeat tenant will not have an eviction conviction on their record so any future landlord will not even be aware that any action was taken. I was never informed of any options, if any, that I had so I feel I was forced into this mediation when what I really wanted was my day in court. I will however proceed with a followup suit to try and recover, yeah right, all monies owed me. I will do everything within my power to legally make as many future creditors this person may attempt to deal with aware of the fact they probably will get stiffed if they lend them any money or rent to them.

I'm well aware that some do fall onto hard times that are not of their doing. To those people I have true compassion for but I'm sick and tired of those low lifes who constantly work the system and offer nothing in return. To those people out there that expect the rest of us to take care of you I say, watch out, the free lunch is coming to an end.
          Last edited by BadgerDave; 07-07-2011, 01:05 PM. Reason: Correct grammar mistakes
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            CWS, I'm going through a similar situation with a tenant of mine. Tuesday I had what I thought was a court date setup and paid for by me to evict this tenant for failure to pay the last 3 month rent. When I got to the hearing which somehow got turned into a mediation without any knowledge of that by me. The mediator asked my deadbeat tenant if they were comfortable with mediation but of course never asked me the same question. Long story short, a move out date was agreed too. The kicker is, because we "mediated" this the deadbeat tenant will not have an eviction conviction on their record so any future landlord will not even be aware that any action was taken. I was never informed of any options, if any, that I had so I feel I was forced into this mediation when what I really wanted was my day in court. I will however proceed with a followup suit to try and recover, yeah right, all monies owed me. I will do everything within my power to legally make as many future creditors this person may attempt to deal with aware of the fact they probably will get stiffed if they lend them any money or rent to them.

I well aware the some do fall onto hard times that are not of their doing. To those people I have true compassion for but I'm sick and tired of those low lifes who constantly work the system and offer nothing in return. To those people out there that expect the rest of us to take care of you I say, watch out, the free lunch is coming to an end.
            This is about 55% of the town I live in. All these dead beats living off the system drive me freaking insane! while people working hard can't pay their bills suffer while these low life good for nothing us less DNA spreaders live it up. End welfare and make SSI more strict. If your broke and can't make it oh well.
            I'm so sick of what's going on blood sucking leeches
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

These stories posted are the reason why I wish this country would go back to the way it use to be before I was even born.

But we only have ourselves to blame, because we voted in these people who forced this crap on us. While the rest of the country is focused on much bigger issues, these slim buckets sneak frivolous laws by everyone when they are not looking. Our fore fathers didn't envision an America that we see today, and we no longer are a country where life, liberty, and freedom mean anything anymore. It almost pays to be a bum and let the system work to your own benefit.

Comment

CWS, if there is a weekend where these people are away why can the bank not take possession of the house back if they have a court backed eviction in their pocket.

When no one is home just change the locks and post the premises with the notice. If they force their way in then all any good citizen should have to do is call 911 to report a B&E of the property.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have yet to come accross a problem where unreasonable amounts of high yield explosives cannot be a viable solution.

Also, you didn't read this from me, however, it would be a damn shame if thier electrical power meter were to magically disappear one night while they were sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                    Also, you didn't read this from me, however, it would be a damn shame if thier electrical power meter were to magically disappear one night while they were sleeping.
                    Years ago this bookie who owned a few rental properties was trying to get rid of a tenant working the system. She hadn't paid her rent in a year, and since the rent included heat, she was racking up the bills on purpose. He already had a lock box on the thermostat, but she was slick by keeping cold items on top of the box to make the boiler run longer. So he asked us how we could stop her from doing that, and it was quite simple, we disconnected the thermostat wire on the boiler. We opened up the flow valve so the heat would eventually drift (summer/winter hookup). We also went over the the water service and closed the main valve almost all the way to where the water would just trickle out of the faucets and take minutes to fill the toilet. She was out within 2 weeks after that as she couldn't take it anymore.
                    Last edited by Flux; 07-07-2011, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                      it would be a damn shame if thier electrical power meter were to magically disappear one night while they were sleeping.
                      They would ellude Darwin by stealing electricity, and not getting shocked when they jump the bus bars with some old butter knives. If I were to do something dirty and illegal like tampering with utilities for deadbeat tennants, I would put tape on the meter contact points so the meter is there but no contact=no power

Now if the tennants were to say, Oh, I dunno, climb the pole and cut the main service wires so they could recycle the copper.......
                      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Remove the front and back doors.

Comment

Working...
                        X