Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Safe in the Heat

Originally posted by James P View Post
    @ 57 I handle the heat quite well as long as I have my hat, shades, and water. It's the damned cold weather that gets me.
    What do you consider cold?

For me, regarding cold, it's more of a damp thing. I am comfortable at virtually any temperature below 80F provided it is not damp and I can put on layers. Even down to 30, I'm ok without gloves as long as I am doing something with my hands (using tools, yard work, etc.) and moving around.

Funny thing, last winter, I cracked open a beer whilst grilling outdoors. The reason I was getting cold was mostly due to sitting still. The other reason is that my beer started freezing up, going from fridge temperature down to 10F. It was one of those "Oh Yeah!" moments as I sucked down the slush...

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
      What do you consider cold?

For me, regarding cold, it's more of a damp thing. I am comfortable at virtually any temperature below 80F provided it is not damp and I can put on layers. Even down to 30, I'm ok without gloves as long as I am doing something with my hands (using tools, yard work, etc.) and moving around.

Funny thing, last winter, I cracked open a beer whilst grilling outdoors. The reason I was getting cold was mostly due to sitting still. The other reason is that my beer started freezing up, going from fridge temperature down to 10F. It was one of those "Oh Yeah!" moments as I sucked down the slush...
      Below 32F

Comment

Well, I better get used to the heat, I will have plenty of it where I am being shipped off to.

Hey Franki, you might have seen some of the guys in my unit in the Hartford Courant paper when Governor Malloy blessed us with his presence. For the sake of security, I will not say any exact dates, however, I WILL say just keep an eye on the local news for the next week or so. Especially channel 8.

Comment

I read Gatorade mentioned in this thread.. I would like to add my 2 cents and say that Gatorade if taken improperly will actually dehydrate you and cause more problems than it will solve. If you do drink it, you should drink equal parts of Gatorade to water.(three swigs of gatorade to 3 swigs of water.. Dont mix them in the bottle, YUCK!)

My understanding is this. Your body will pull water away from the rest of your body and send it to your stomach where it is needed to break down what you just put in there. If you drink water with it, you got what you need in there so no fuss, no problem.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

All good info but also don't forget that Gatorade has sodium in it, the amount
            varies with the particular product but on avergae I believe its about 110mg.

Gatorade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Been hotter than normal here for the past week.
              This morning as I write this it is 0830 and the temp is 93 in the shade.
              It was 82 when I woke up at 0630 and the humidity must be near 80%.

Wilmington is about 25 miles west of me.

CLIMATE REPORT
              NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
              221 AM EDT SAT JUL 23 2011

...THE WILMINGTON DE CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JULY 22 2011...

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1971 TO 2000
              CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1894 TO 2011

WEATHER ITEM OBSERVED TIME RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST
              VALUE (LST) VALUE VALUE FROM YEAR
              NORMAL
              .................................................. ................
              TEMPERATURE (F)
              YESTERDAY
              MAXIMUM 102R 245 PM 101 1957 87 15 90
              MINIMUM 82 530 AM 56 1950 68 14 71
              AVERAGE 92 78 14 81
              Last edited by Bob D.; 07-23-2011, 07:37 AM.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

I used these when I worked in attic laying ductwork. They work. Cool Vest for Work - Industrial, Construction, Manufacturing - Cooling Vest by Glacier Tek.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

TheMaster has got it right, you need to pre-hydrate well before the activity
                  begins. Chugging a quart of water or other drink at 7 am just won't cut it.

Those cool vests can help, but they won't totally negate the affects of the heat. Plus in some
                  conditions they don't last very long. I worked a job a few years back where we had to wear
                  ice vests. The temp in the space was 132F, every breath felt like swollowing fire and instantly
                  dried you throat and down in to our lungs it felt like. Even with the vests we were told we were
                  only allowed to work 3 minutes in/9 out. We had 4 guys to do what in normal circumstances
                  would have taken one person. After my third dive the ice vest was nothing but liquid. The 'cool down'
                  area where we rested between dives was 95F.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                    Depending on how much fluid your losing you just cant replace it with water. Your electrolites will get all F'd up from all the water intake and you can DIE. Thats bad right?. Gatoraide helps replace those.

You cannot drink enough fluids during the work day....the hydration process for me starts the night before. No alcohol. If your not urinating or not urinating clear then your not drinking enough water.

I take water,gatorade and bananas to work with me. 16oz of gatorade every couple hours with half a banana with water breaks every 15 - 30 minutes. I drink the G2 gatorade with reduced sugar.

Temps in the summer are often above 100 with the heat index figured in......very high humidity most of the time. The dehydration process usually takes a couple days but people dont realize that. One day you get dehydrated.....the next day is when the heat stroke comes when you try to repeat another day in the heat.

I never said Gatorade was bad, I essentially said if you drink too much of it at the wrong time you can get messed up. I drink em, tastes better than water, but honestly I prefer Powerade. It does not taste as sweet as the typical Gatorade does. That and its cheaper too.
                    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

This site has most of the solutions one would ever need to beat the heat.

CamelBak® - Home

Plus they have these flavored electrolyte tablets that dissolve in the reservoir, and a little trick is to put ice cubes in there to keep one cool the entire time. That little toy saved my life a time or two. A little perk of being in the service is being able to snag a surplus item (Issued of course) for me to keep. However, for anyone that often works outside, this item is a must, as well as a boonie hat. Which I have an old desert fatigue one that helps out alot too, espeically when working on rooftops.

Comment

Our modern diets also contribute to dehydration. I go to the gym almost every day and lift weights. When I get home I drink a high protein shake, unfortunately metabolizing protein requires a lot of water. So be cautious if you eat a high protein diet wheter it is from real food sources or supplements, drink extra water.

Comment

After being deployed to hot areas I've found simple water is all you need. I used to drink almost 2-3 gallons a day in those countries. I was still hot but I never passed out. It usually takes almost a month to really get used to the heat...no help for the heat wave going on. Light cotton full sleeve shirts also help. It holds the sweat allowing it to evaporate keeping you cooler.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                            The last thing you would want on in a hot humid climate is a long sleeve shirt. Thats why people complain about high humidity because evaporation slows down to a crawl and you cant cool off. Thats what gets people in my climate,the humidity. You drown in your own sweat. When the shirt dries you can see all the salt you lost dried up in rings on the shirt. Drinking nothing but water and not eating food with salt can lead to hyponatremia. This is dangerous because the symtoms are just about identical to dehydration and heatstroke except a person with hyponatremia can die if you keep feeding them water thinking their just dehydrated. Thats why I mix in some gatoraide for sodium and the bananas help prevent cramps.
                            I was taught just the opposite. That it is better to keep long sleeves down to not only protect your skin from the sun, but with light colored clothing, much of the enery reflects off, thus keeping one cooler in the long run. However folks, TM is right about losing salts and electrolytes. One good thing with salt in moderation is that it retains water. But, I do remember drinking a gallon and a half of water a day when I was in Saudia Arabia, and was still not only thirsty, but my clothing was still dry. Sadly, as much as I enjoy banannas, where I'm going, they are not going to be available. It's alright, the MRE's will have their uses.

Comment

I find that a wipe-down with a wet washcloth really helps. It gets a lot of the salt off my skin, adds something that evaporates, and feels nice. I also like to run cold water over my head. These are in addition to the hydrating tips mentioned earlier.

Comment

Its good that you think so much for the fellow plumbers.The best way to protect yourself from dehydration is to drink lots of water and cover your head with a cap.
                                Plumber in Georgia | Plumber in Gwinnett GA | Garbage Disposals Alpharetta GA

Comment

Working...
                                X