X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe in the Heat

I worked in 100 degree heat years ago and now just being outside during this hot spell gets to me. I hope all the folks on this forum who work outisde will be careful to properly hydrate and look for signs of heat sickness in their coworkers. Sometimes we think we are tougher than we are, extreme weather can be dangerous.

Re: Safe in the Heat

it's been beastly out there the last few days. This is the only time of year I miss an office job
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

remember drink water and alot of it and eat some banannas as well. not soda pops and candy bars. when i worked out side i would drink 1/2 to a full gallon of water a day and a bananna at lunch.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I've been shoveling rock most part of the day today. It's whoopin' my azz in the NC.

J.C.
        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 07-12-2011, 09:07 PM.

Comment

My suggestion...Invest in a camelpak. Those things are life savers, and there are electrolyte tablets you can buy that dissolve in the water to basically turn it into gatorade, which, again are made by camelpak.

Bonus: Throw ice cubes into the reservior to not only keep the fluids cold, but to cool yourself down as well.

Comment

I remember when I used to laugh at you ol farts, complaining about the heat and how it makes you sick.. Now I am one of them old farts (at 36) and the heat whips my arse. Now I wear one of them lame-o sun hats, and you can tell where I was working in the shade, something got done there, but nothing was touched in the sun...
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Nobody mentioned the must-have stuff for working in the heat. Yeah, water helps, and a banana might give you some benefit, but as a guy who can sweat gallons reading book in the shade when it is 85 degrees...

Gold Bond!

I like to mix yellow with green. On extreme days, I'll enhance the dusting with some Blue. It like air conditioning for your boys.

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
                Nobody mentioned the must-have stuff for working in the heat. Yeah, water helps, and a banana might give you some benefit, but as a guy who can sweat gallons reading book in the shade when it is 85 degrees...

Gold Bond!

I like to mix yellow with green. On extreme days, I'll enhance the dusting with some Blue. It like air conditioning for your boys.

i never needed that when i worked on ladders wearing me kilt lad.
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                  i never needed that when i worked on ladders wearing me kilt lad.
                  And here we learn the *real* reason it is unlucky to stand under a ladder!

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post

Gold Bond!

Powder your nuts!

Comment

the thread drift is very funny here,

but a military Bonnie hat is a great hat in the sun, and if it is really hot one can soak the hat and it will help a lot, were normally fairly dry here, but the last few weeks the humidity is high, and double hard on a fellow,

some times one just needs to get in and get cooled down, liquids are good, I find the gater aid is a big help,
                      but the heat is working on me more and more ever year, I need to go back out and build some more fence, no shade out there,
                      the tractor work is in a cab but mine are not AC only a water cooler,
                      may even need to get real air conditioning for the tractors some time, the swamp coolers help but in the humidity not much,

but I agree watch your self and stay save,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My body does not process salt properly. So I have to take salt up to a tsp a day in the summer months otherwise I get these crazy attacks, I start shaking and all of a sudden feel exhausted and feel like I'm going down. I keep salt packs in the van etc..

The last time it happened I was on the golf course and had to drive the cart back to the club house and stumble to the bar to grab the salt shaker and dump a tsp in my hand then pop it into my mouth.
                        If you ever want to see some odd looks on peoples faces, try that out sometime! LOL

I've since learned some of the feelings I'm having long before an "attack" so I know it's time to take it soon.
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

@ 57 I handle the heat quite well as long as I have my hat, shades, and water. It's the damned cold weather that gets me.

Comment

It's been hotter than hell this year. I think we have had over 21 days in a row over a 100 here in OKC! 104 now.
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

OSHA's Campaign to Prevent Heat Illness in Outdoor Workers

Excessive Heat - NOAAWatch

June 2011 Drought Map for North America
                              http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/c...adm-201106.pdf
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 07-16-2011, 07:07 PM.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X