X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Time Warranty, Free Replacement

No, this is not about Ridgid. I've noticed that most of the "stuff" I buy now carries what I wrote in the title. There is one little catch to having this honored and it requires keeping the receipt and box with usp code. I have it for my digital scale, camera, telephone, blood pressure machine, shower spray,etc. Granted it's getting cramped around here with all these boxes, but considering how often these things break I'm willing to sleep in the car.

Re: Life Time Warranty, Free Replacement

All my open end wrenches and adjustable wrenches are Craftsman, and they do have a nice warranty no questions asked. I also like their screw drivers as well.

I use to use their tape measures, but recently tried Kobalt. I won't buy any tape measure unless it has a lifetime warranty.

Comment

Frank,

I don't understand why you're keeping the "boxes". (Then again, don't go looking in my attic, as I still have the boxes for my Ham Radio equipment and my Canon F1 stuff. ) But once you've sent in required registration stuff, do we still need the boxes?

I do keep all the receipts for all the purchases I make. The tools and electronic stuff are kept in special "catagorized" files and my wife writes down everything! (I think in some past life she was probably a "scribe" at some monestary.)

For me, the best possible place for such things in on my computer, as there's all too many receipts that seem to fade away within a year or two. I have a very inexpensive Visioneer Scanner that I bought in the late 90's. Think I paid about $15 for it after the rebate. So, it takes only a few seconds to scan things in and the included software lets me set up folders and file things where they should be.

CWS

Comment

The majority of Lifetime Warranties are nothing more than a sales tool. Even alot of the so called legitimate ones are brokered to another company that has a goal to find or setup a reason to deny said warranty.

Just my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

Which you are certainly entitled too!

But certainly for the Ridgid brand I've found it's worth the effort for me, even though there are a few who don't believe in the program. Craftsman's "Lifetime" on their hand tools has proven to be of great value to many, although I haven't found it to be quite as easy a just taking in the questionable tool for a quick replacement. In both times that I tried to do that, I was referred to the catalog office where the particular tools was "ordered".

But your point is well taken as there are many brands that offer a "Lifetime" warranty and often the product or the company itself will simply not exist a year from now. Case in point is I have several "Husky" tools that I might well get a refund on (if the receipt hasn't faded), but I'll certainly not get a replacement tool as they don't exist anymore. I also have this rather nice set of "Tempo" screwdrivers which I received as a gift several years ago. "Lifetime" warranty, including "replacement" in case of loss. Nice idea (and the "prompt" for the gift purchase for good ol' Uncle Charlie who is always loosing a screwdriver... but have you ever heard of the company??? I have a few items where "Lifetime" simply means (as long as you can find us).

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 07-14-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

There are several things to consider with these warranties such as keeping track of your receipts and packaging. I find it frustrating to buy items that break so soon and either go through the warranty process or repurchase. I just sent a digital scale to be repaired or replaced and the package and shipping came to $13 a new scale would have been $29. Sears has been great for tool warranty exchange and so have some other stores. I also have found a lot of stores don't hassle when you return a defective item in a timely fashion. Good luck.

Comment

My wife got me a real nice Husky socket set, all American made stuff in it. Both 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets started acting squirrely (refusing to switch direction) so I brought them into HD. The guy at the service desk was confused, and the guys in hardware had trouble finding tools that looked the same. I walked out with 2 new ratchets...both MADE IN CHINA!

Mixed feelings: I feel good about having American made tools, feel good that more money stayed here, a little disappointed they failed after just 8 years of light/moderate use, and very disappointed that Husky decided to outsource to China. We'll see how these hold up.

Comment

I used to buy almost exclusively craftsman tools because of the Sears warranty that backs them up. In the past, when the odd tool failed, I just walked into the store and then out again with a new tool, no hassles, no red tape. Those days are gone.
                I have a failed 1/4" drive ratchet wrench which I returned to a Sears store a few weeks ago. When I showed it to the person in the tools department, he told me to go to the Sears catalog counter. There, they told me that they would order the part and have it shipped, not to my house, not to the Sears drop-off nearest my house but directly to the store. There is a Sears drop-off close to home but they won't ship there, only to the store which is a bit of a drive from my home.
                I complained at the store and got a despondent response from the teenager behind the counter. I complained on the Sears website and got a few of those heartwarming automated e-mails saying I would be contacted shortly. I'm still waiting.
                Here is how I understand the Sears Warranty now works:
                1. When a tool fails, you have to drive to the Sears store.
                2. Although they have the part right there is stock, you can't have it. You get to go home empty handed and without the tool you needed to finish your project.
                3. At a time which is considered convenient for Sears, the part will be delivered to a location convinient for Sears.
                4. At a time which is considered convenient for Sears, you will be advised that you can waist another half day going to their store where they had your replacement part in the first place so you can pick up your tool.
                The inconvenience and hassle associated with getting a replacement tool make this warranty useless. Tools don't fail that often. I'd rather buy from my local hardware store and pay for replacement tools on the occasion when one fails. At least, I'll have the tools I need to finish the day's project.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  Case in point is I have several "Husky" tools that I might well get a refund on (if the receipt hasn't faded), but I'll certainly not get a replacement tool as they don't exist anymore. I also have this rather nice set of "Tempo" screwdrivers which I received as a gift several years ago. "Lifetime" warranty, including "replacement" in case of loss. Nice idea (and the "prompt" for the gift purchase for good ol' Uncle Charlie who is always loosing a screwdriver... but have you ever heard of the company??? I have a few items where "Lifetime" simply means (as long as you can find us).

CWS
                  I hate tools from HD. I too have bought Husky hand tools, go back for a warranty, and they not have what I bought anymore. You might as well buy two so you have a spare when it breaks. I get clueless looks and "sorry bud" from the clerks...
                  We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Snap on and Mac both are expensive but they last a lifetime. I have Snap on wrenches that are 60 years old plus. If you do break them they replace them no questions asked. I have split out standard snap on sockets using them on a 3/4" air wrench and they still replaced them even though I abused the crap out of them. I used to be a craftsman fan and still like their stuff but it's become a pain in the *** to warranty them now.
                    sigpic

Comment

Warranties are definitely a marketing tool and from an accounting perspective, a liability to the companies profitability.

So companies rely on consumer neglect and ignorance when it comes to warranties as only a small percentage of the consumer market will do what is required to get their refunds and warranties honored. Ridgids LSA for example, you can find a bunch of people who've posted on this fourm alone who haven't bothered registering and completely forget about it until it's to late and they need it.

Another way companies try to minimize their warranty liabilities are by passing the responsibility along to the manufacturer and consumer. They also make the process cumbersome so as to discourage most claims and lastly, they make you consider if the warranty replacement product is worth your time and effort as mentioned previous in this thread when factoring in shipping charges vs the value of the replacement product.

Personally I keep all my receipts, and upc's when necessary. To save space I cut the upc's off the box and fillet the top paper portion away from the cardboard so it's flat and fits in my file cabinet easier. I also scan a copy to my computer once a yr as I'm doing my taxes and have them all out and ready anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X