X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk About Bad Luck

Well we had some real fast and hard hitting storms come through the Chicago area Monday. Nine times out of ten my parents house will lose power along with 18 other homes in the subdivision. Since its only 18 homes ComEd puts them on the low priority list, even though they all are on a well. We where prepared this time with our 15+ year old Milwaukee generator. Ran in two heavy gauge cords to run both refrigerators, a fan and some other small electronics.

The generator been running since Monday early afternoon, and it went out early morning today. They been filling its gas tank every 3 hours ( unit runs 3 1/2 hours on a full tank). So since it never died out no one been checking the oil on this poor beast. Sure enough it burned most of its oil that I made sure it had when I first started it. So now the engine is seized. I pulled the head off, its an old Kohler single cylinder cast iron engine. The piston and the cylinder walls are fine, so it has to be a spun bearing on the crank or connecting rod.

So here is my dilemma. The one small engine place by me is long gone. I called one other place and he needs the serial # or Model and series number.. Sadly I can not locate this anywhere on the unit. Kohler Engine website does not show engines that old. Any one know of a place where I can get some sort of catalog and or parts to rebuild this engine? Or do you all think its best to replace the engine, or just replace the whole generator. I priced out a Ridgid Generator 8800 watts $1299... lots of cash when times are slim.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: Talk About Bad Luck

Many years ago we were doing a sewer and our generator seized up as well, for some unknown reason, and we were screwed cause we needed power to finish. The backhoe driver got off the machine and took the engine apart and fixed it right on the spot...shocked the hell out of us. This driver was a farm boy born and raised, with ungodly talents I never seen before.

Me personally, when it comes to generators I'm sold hook-line & sinker on Honda.

Maybe this link will help you out Ron

Kohler generator parts, old and new available from Wavetop Technology, Inc.

Comment

No low oil shut-down? Dump it and get a low oil shut down unit.

Comment

Can you rent one a couple of days?

Just 'til you find parts.

I'm not looking at it or know the history of the generator. Might be time for a new one.

J.C.

Comment

Rental places are all rented out. Still over 100,000 people with out power around here. The local shops including the big box stores just got a huge shipment of generators in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            Rental places are all rented out. Still over 100,000 people with out power around here. The local shops including the big box stores just got a huge shipment of generators in stock.
            Understood. Seen the same thing through the hurricanes that ran through here. One after the other a few years ago.

Now I'll probably show my ignorance about all of this but that hasn't stopped me before :

Could you rig another small engine to turn the generator? Coupling to the shaft? Thinking..... Danger

J.C.

Comment

I was thinking about that as well. Maybe a cheap Harbor Freight engine. Right now I took my power inverter out of my truck and hooked it up in my mom's car and they are running the fridges off it for now.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Understood. Seen the same thing through the hurricanes that ran through here. One after the other a few years ago.

Now I'll probably show my ignorance about all of this but that hasn't stopped me before :

Could you rig another small engine to turn the generator? Coupling to the shaft? Thinking..... Danger

J.C.

Comment

Lawnmower, jetter engine you may have around. (Yeah, like we all have jetter engines laying around...)

J.C.

Comment

did i forget to mention i have at least 6 generators laying around. from 5000 watts and smaller, a few never used. not sure what trucking / shipping would run, but the price would be right.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    did i forget to mention i have at least 6 generators laying around. from 5000 watts and smaller, a few never used. not sure what trucking / shipping would run, but the price would be right.

rick.
                    Any driveshaft/PTO ones?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Well, someone must said a little prayer or sent some good thoughts our way. ComEd was saying no power till Saturday. It just came on 5 minutes ago.

So no rush to fix it, which means I can tear the bad boy apart and see if I can find an identifying number on it. I have found that its close to a the K-91 but a tad larger. The K-91 is only a 4hp unit I think this one is an 8hp unit. But the head bolt set up the piston and valve lay out are all the same.

Comment

ron, mine are all directly bolted to the generator and engine.

a couple of them are long run with idle control.

a pto unit onto a tractor is the way to go if you have a tractor there. bhd will have a ton of ideas.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

if this guy don't have what your looking for it's time for a new one. Or Rick's west cost supply

Russo Power Equipment | Power Equipment | Turf Care | Salt Supply | Hardware

Comment

one will still need to get a model number to get the correct part, (and right now I do not remember where the tag is on the Kohler engines),

Kohler Engines: Engine Identification: Manuals and Maintenance
                            Kohler Small Engines
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                              one will still need to get a model number to get the correct part, (and right now I do not remember where the tag is on the Kohler engines),

Kohler Engines: Engine Identification: Manuals and Maintenance
                              Kohler Small Engines
                              The Kohler site does not show any of the older models. Wish they did. My Dig-It has a newer Kohler Engine and the data plate is on the air shroud. This engine of course has no ID plate anywhere, just the cover says Kohler on it. A neighbor up the road started his own small engine repair shop last summer. So we dropped it off over there. He will let us know Monday what it needs to be fixed up. Thank you all for your replies and links. I bookmarked them all for future reference.

Comment

Working...
                              X