Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drink me some koolaid and sleep like a baby

Re: Drink me some koolaid and sleep like a baby

5 days, a couple years back we had an ice storm that knocked power off for as much as 8 weeks for some and that was in zero degree weather.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      5 days, a couple years back we had an ice storm that knocked power off for as much as 8 weeks for some and that was in zero degree weather.
      I think losing power during very cold weather like you mentioned is worse. I would have to decide a couple days in to drain my baseboard heating of water so the pipes didn't burst. That would be a great time to have a good wood burning stove or insert.

Comment

everything froze, it took months for things to get back to normal. It was -20 for a few days during that whole thing also. Fortunately I have a 12,000 Watt LP generator hooked into my house wiring so it was business as usual for me.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          everything froze, it took months for things to get back to normal. It was -20 for a few days during that whole thing also. Fortunately I have a 12,000 Watt LP generator hooked into my house wiring so it was business as usual for me.
          You don't have to worry about food going bad when it's that cold!

Also, the best insurance against power outages is to buy a generator. What this really means is that once you have a major power outage and then go buy a generator, you will not have another major power outage.

I have a 6500 watt portable gasoline unit that plugs into a manual transfer switch. I've run all 6 15A circuits (not to max load) and the generator barely noticed. It is set up to run the gas furnace, power vent gas water heater, sump pump, 2 lighting circuits, and a couple fridges. I can always tap the 20A receptacles for space heaters if the gas isn't flowing for some reason, or to share with a neighbor.

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
            You don't have to worry about food going bad when it's that cold!

Also, the best insurance against power outages is to buy a generator. What this really means is that once you have a major power outage and then go buy a generator, you will not have another major power outage.

I have a 6500 watt portable gasoline unit that plugs into a manual transfer switch. I've run all 6 15A circuits (not to max load) and the generator barely noticed. It is set up to run the gas furnace, power vent gas water heater, sump pump, 2 lighting circuits, and a couple fridges. I can always tap the 20A receptacles for space heaters if the gas isn't flowing for some reason, or to share with a neighbor.
            I picked up a 8500 watt husqvarna a couple years ago when my wife was undergoing chemotherapy. We never lost power since. I would only want to use it to run my oil furnace if we lost power in the winter. I can't see running a gasoline generator for more than a very few hours to keep the refridgerator going, at $4.00 a gallon I 'd rather cook and eat the food as it thaws.

Comment

Back in 1984 I purchased a 5KW Honda and a 5KW Yamaha generator to build a large custom home in a rural area. The Honda die and was non repairable by the end of the job. About the same time, I had a 7.5KW propane generator with a built in transfer switch I took off of a job. Finally, I had a 6KW Coleman generator my brother bought new, filled it with gas to make sure it ran and let the gas go bad. All three of the generators were in the building in Utah. I figured all of them were bad from sitting so long. When I went with my daughter to see the project up there I was surprised to see the contractor using every single one of them.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

They either don't buid them like that anymore or the contractor was real handy? I run mine once a year and run out the gasoline as well as drain the carb. I know some guys who think it's better to keep the carb wet so things don't dry up and leak.

Comment

Working...
                X