Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

What are the car registration fees/regulations in your state?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the car registration fees/regulations in your state?

Say what you will about NY, but I think we have pretty good registration fees here. For example, my cars run about $63 each for 2 years, and the truck is $75 for 2 years I believe. I know other states base the annual fee off the value of the car.

Boat is around $20 for 3 years, and small trailers are I think $12, annual Jan-Dec and prorated.

IMHO, the most fair registration fee would be based upon vehicle weight and the number of miles you drive it. A garaged car puts no stress on the roads, so there should be no fee (except a nominal maintenance fee).

Re: What are the car registration fees/regulations in your state?

$23 a year car or truck here in tennessee
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

For a $20,000 vehicle it would be $231 in California.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ha my 1994 beat up dodge ram In NH $339.00 for the year
        My 1997 Chevy Yukon $389.00 for the year
        My 2003 work Van $401.00 for the year makes me sick tax on my $98,000 home per year $4,498.63 Live free of die ROFLMAO
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Both of my trucks are $73/year. For the one I have a personal tag so that is another $10 which goes toward maintaining the USS New Jersey floating museum.

The kicker for us is that the registration fee many years ago had the cost of the annual inspection rolled into it so that when you pay for your registration for the year about half your fee went to offset the cost of the state inspection (there was no private inspection at that time). Then a few years later private inspection became available which brought more money to the state in two ways;
          1. The owner paid the same registration fee but if the used a private inspection facility they paid an additional fee but never got any form of credit for the portion of their registration that was earmarked for performing the inspection by the state.
          2. The vehicle owner pays the private garage performing the inspection who charges tax on the work plus pays taxes on their income generated by the work.

Fast forward to last year and the Gov completely does away with the safety portion of the inspection leaving only the emissions which is required by US DOT to get federal funding monies for roads so they have to do it or lose a pile of cash.

My one truck is diesel over 10k gross weight so no emissions req'd. The other is a gas motor and gets an emission check every other year.

No reduction on the registration fee though. They're keeping all that money...under false pretenses I say because roughly half is supposed to go for an ANNUAL inspection which includes checking suspension, brakes, headlights and turn signals, wipers, horn all function as intended.

I wonder how long it will be before our insurance rates rise because the overall condition of all the vehicles on the road has diminished with people keeping cars longer in todays financially frigid climate.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Our tags are based of the value of the vehicle and how much it weighs. Vehicles that are not used on public roads do not require a license tag. If you do not intend to drive the vehicle then simply dont buy a tag for it.

No vehicle inspections for the typical work van or car.

Insurance should be cheaper with older cars because they are not worth as much and the pay out would be less for the insurance co.

Comment

Man, I never should have read this thread.
              Until now, I never realized how bad I am getting screwed on reg fee's. Mine are in-line with Unclogs. I always thought that was the norm.

Property tax about half of his, but NH has no sales tax. Here I'm pretty sure I get taxed for even looking at something!
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                Man, I never should have read this thread.
                Until now, I never realized how bad I am getting screwed on reg fee's. Mine are in-line with Unclogs. I always thought that was the norm.

Property tax about half of his, but NH has no sales tax. Here I'm pretty sure I get taxed for even looking at something!
                Now if you live on the ME, NH border live in Maine pay 1/2 the property tax then go shop in NH you can save a bit. Now that whole NH no income tax is B.S as soon as I make over 50K I get taxed from the first penny!
                Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                  Now if you live on the ME, NH border live in Maine pay 1/2 the property tax then go shop in NH you can save a bit. Now that whole NH no income tax is B.S as soon as I make over 50K I get taxed from the first penny!
                  is it worse in Mass.?
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    is it worse in Mass.?
                    No mass when you register your car it lasts 2 years
                    My mother in laws house value is around 220k her tax is around $2,300
                    Rod

Comment

We pay over $8000.00 house taxes
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        We pay over $8000.00 house taxes
                        If my home was valued at $250k our tax would be around 11k to 12k per year
                        Rod

Comment

If my home was valued at $250k our tax would be around 11k to 12k per year
                          My fathers house is valued at around $400k and his taxes are $7,000.00.

New Jersey has ridiculous property taxes, glad I don't live in that communist state.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            My fathers house is valued at around $400k and his taxes are $7,000.00.

New Jersey has ridiculous property taxes, glad I don't live in that communist state.
                            Were 2nd higest in property taxes in the whole USA NJ is Number 1. It feels like were number one. because people in NJ make more than people in NH so we feel the taxes more.
                            Rod

Comment

I've always questioned the logic behind basing registration rates, or property tax rates, on the value. To those who say that high value suggests that the owner is loaded, I have to ask how true this really is: I know several people who have much more "valuable" homes than me, and have a similar annual household income. They just decided to take out a bigger/riskier mortgage, which means they actually have *less* money available for taxes!

And a road cannot tell the difference wear-wise between a new car and an old car. The person driving the old car just gets to enjoy the roads at a much cheaper rate. I'd think they should all be the same rate, with the obvious exception of weight and axles.

Comment

Working...
                              X