X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dental questions and fears. very real

first let me start out by saying this so you all can get the done with saying EWWWW and get down to my questions and fears.

i have not been to the dentist since 1991, when i left the navy. it 1995 i was working on a car when it came down an crushed my head (yes you read that right) and when it did that it broke every tooth in my upper jaw and 4 in the lowwer. also left with a scar from the corner of my lip to right behind my ear.

now of course do to my huge fears of anything medical related and and the fact i was thrilled to be alive i never had the boken teeth removed. they have never caused me any real pain or discomfort. but now here is is 16 years later my gums ache from time to time. but that is about it. but it looks, well discusting really. they are broken, black, green and nasty looking. heck a jackolanter has nothing on me let me tell you what.

i have learned to talk to people with my head tilled down and if i laugh at something i cover my mouth and turn the other way. i never really noticed i did that till my wife pointed it out to me.

i have such a fear of doctors that i almost faint and have to be restained just to have blood drawn. i never understood if i come to the doctors bleeding why they feel they need to put another hole in me, just get a bucket. oh well guess that is why i am not a doctor huh.

i know the work that needs to be done will be very very extensive. i also know they are going to have to put me to sleep to do this. to drive my fear of this into you guys as i writing this my heart is POUNDING and i am starting to break into a sweat.

i don't know how to go about finding a dentist that will make me feel some what at ease. that deals with cases like me that have not been in years or even decades.

really i think the only thing that can be done at this point is to have all the chip teeth spinlters removed inclueding the remaning good ones in my lowwer jaw, and be fitted with dentures.

but how do i go about finding the right denist for me? how do i get over this fear?
    Last edited by oldslowchevy; 07-22-2011, 08:18 PM.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: dental questions and fears. very real

the keywords you're looking for is a Sedation Dentist. You let them know before your first appointment that you have this problem, and they'll have a lovely little pill waiting for you when you sign in. You'll be so damned relaxed they'll be able to give you the Real drugs.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I never went to the dentist for 8 yrs, I had chipped teeth as well but when I finally did go I explained my discomfort with the procedures and the staff were very accommodating. I also took two muscle relaxers before I went which helped a bit. They explained everything very well which helped a great deal as I wasn't worried about stuff I didn't know. The cost can get up there if your not careful as a root canel and crown can cost around 3000. I've been going to my dentist for roughly two years now and getting portions done at each visit to make the cost somewhat manageable. They may do the same for you which could help with managing the cost.

If you leave it any longer it could get alot worse and end up costing you alot more in terms of health.

If I had to do it again I would have went sooner. I use to smile without showing my teeth because I was very self conscious of my two front teeth always chipped but after I got them fixed I find I am alot more confident and smile alot easier now.

Comment

Not an easy question to answer, but there are answers. First of all it is good to talk about your fears, we as men have been conditioned to keep them inside but that robs us of a full life. I had a tenant, a 48 year old college professor who was afraid of going to the dentist for any procedure. I used to be that way and I was able to put things into perspective. A tooth is such a tiny thing compared to the rest of my body. I have also had many serious surgeries when I was a little kid and then again when I was a younger man, so I know how scary the though of surgery can be. I lived with a bad hernia for five years and finally had it repaired last summer. I got my life back because I faced my fear.

There are good dental surgeons and reconstructive dentists out there, but like you asked, "how do I find one"? That's half the battle, the other half is paying for the work, as someone mentioned it ain't cheap! You may have to travel a bit to get a real good dental doctor. I'm not sure how you find the right one, but I am sure your health and life would be better afterwards.

Please don't give up, be strong, maybe ask at a major hospital who are the dental surgeons they recommend? Go for an exam and ask questions. Let us know where you are at, you are not alone if you share. Take care. Frank

Comment

You are ready to do something or you would not be posting about it.

Your long delay will have made it worse. Any more will make it worse yet.

Approach it as you would anything else you've had no experience in; ask friends and family who they've been to and liked, check Angie's list, etc.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. It's a phobia. It's silly. But real for you nonetheless. If you have a trusted friend who will do the legwork for you in finding the right person/place, let them, and if it burns up too much of your reserves to deal with the fear to verify what they find yourself, just trust them. And don't be too embarrassed to ask them to go with you and support you through the ordeal. If I read you right, the problem isn't the pain, or the expense; it's the fear. Having a friend along will help alot with the fear.

You'll probably need to go in several times. Once to be evaluated and referred. Again to the referral to be evaluated and have a plan developed. Several more times after that to do the actual work; I doubt you could fix 20 yrs of damage and neglect to the things you work on in one visit. You can't expect a decent job on your mouth in one visit. So, prepare yourself for that, and make sure you can see it through.

And keep in mind that at the end of it is a smile you won't have to hide. And quite possibly some kind of hospital stay horror from massive infection will be avoided.

If you have the energy for it, research the options and get several evaluations rather than just doing what the first guy suggests. I'd way rather have implants or caps than dentures.

If expense is an issue, this is off the wall but consider Mexico. My buddy got his horror show neglected mouth fixed up there and saved thousands (no ins). Given your fear about it I doubt you'll have the strength to deal if you add the uncertainty of being out of the country and not speaking the language, but $ can be a powerful motivator.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Let go of the control.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
              Here Evilchevy make you an appointment with this guy. He is in Knoxville.
              Knoxville Cosmetic Dentist - Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry of Knoxville - Cosmetic Dentist in Knoxville, TN
              wow thank you masterbater, i really wasn't expecting anyone to search for one for me. thank you for going that extra step. i have today off so i will look into it. i will say i am not a fan of the impants though. at $20k that is more than i have spent on my cars. i am looking to try to stay below 10k, though i do know that may be unrealistic.

to everone else thank you ever so much for your responses, yes it was difficult for me to share this with you all but i have been here since 2004, i concider this place home and you all are my invisable internet friends, lol.

oh and supermanofsteel mine are not chipped, many are broken to or just below the gum line, others are just shards it really is nasty.

why the heck did my wife marry me? or even go out with me??? i just i am luckier than i thought.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                first let me start out by saying this so you all can get the done with saying EWWWW and get down to my questions and fears.

i have not been to the dentist since 1991, when i left the navy. it 1995 i was working on a car when it came down an crushed my head (yes you read that right) and when it did that it broke every tooth in my upper jaw and 4 in the lowwer. also left with a scar from the corner of my lip to right behind my ear.

now of course do to my huge fears of anything medical related and and the fact i was thrilled to be alive i never had the boken teeth removed. they have never caused me any real pain or discomfort. but now here is is 16 years later my gums ache from time to time. but that is about it. but it looks, well discusting really. they are broken, black, green and nasty looking. heck a jackolanter has nothing on me let me tell you what.

i have learned to talk to people with my head tilled down and if i laugh at something i cover my mouth and turn the other way. i never really noticed i did that till my wife pointed it out to me.

i have such a fear of doctors that i almost faint and have to be restained just to have blood drawn. i never understood if i come to the doctors bleeding why they feel they need to put another hole in me, just get a bucket. oh well guess that is why i am not a doctor huh.

i know the work that needs to be done will be very very extensive. i also know they are going to have to put me to sleep to do this. to drive my fear of this into you guys as i writing this my heart is POUNDING and i am starting to break into a sweat.

i don't know how to go about finding a dentist that will make me feel some what at ease. that deals with cases like me that have not been in years or even decades.

really i think the only thing that can be done at this point is to have all the chip teeth spinlters removed inclueding the remaning good ones in my lowwer jaw, and be fitted with dentures.

but how do i go about finding the right denist for me? how do i get over this fear?
                In 2006 I had all my lower teeth pulled out in hospital and had four inplants installed in my lower jaw bone protruding to just under the gum and three days later a titanium bridge with porcelian teeth on it installed for about $12,000.00 and it was the best decission I have ever made single implants are too expensive my advice is find a good Prosthodontic Centre not your local dentist or some cheap clown advertising implants for if you have it done properly you will never have to see a dentist again.

Tony

Tony

Comment

what is wrong with dentures? my wife has them and i never knew they weren't her real teeth untill the frist night she stayed here, about year in to our relationship.
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

First off, I was thinking about how badly you were hurt in that accident and I was wondering why major medical did not cover the procedures at the time you got hurt? That was a serious and extensive incident. About the dentures, from what I understand the jaw bone stays strong if there are teeth in it and without teeth it shrinks, that's why folks with dentures usually have to have them refitted or made new as they age. I think it's better to either get full implants or at least a few to hold permanent dentures. Here is a better explanation. Frank

The Importance Of Teeth For Jaw Bone Health
                    When a tooth is missing, it can lead to jaw bone loss at the site of the gap, affecting not only your appearance but your overall health.

A missing tooth can not only affect your looks, it may also affect your health. When one or more teeth are lost as a result of extraction, disease, trauma or deformity, this leads to bone loss in the jaw at the site of the gap. Over time, this may result in pain, problems with the remaining teeth, an altered facial appearance and the inability to speak and eat properly.

Why Teeth and Bone Are Important
                    As with muscle or any other tissue in the human body, bone tissue needs to be used to maintain its shape and overall health. Muscle tissue is maintained by exercise; bone tissue is maintained by putting stress or load on it.

Natural teeth are embedded in the jaw bone and attached via a root structure which, depending on the location and size of the tooth, varies in size, shape and complexity. Activities such as biting and chewing stimulate the root structure, which in turn stimulates the bone that the tooth root is attached to.

When teeth are missing, the alveolar bone – the portion of the jaw bone that anchors the teeth in the mouth – no longer receives this physical stimulation and starts to resorb, or break down, leaving a space or defect. The breakdown and rebuilding of bone is a natural, ongoing process that maintains normal, healthy bone where it is needed and removes bone where it is not needed. When teeth are lost, the body no longer "needs" this bone, and it subsequently goes away. If you choose to replace a lost tooth with a dental implant or other dental restoration device, you may need a procedure to preserve or rebuild the bone that has been lost.
                    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 07-23-2011, 09:58 AM.

Comment

This may sound racist but have any of you noticed how many Indians and Pakastani's that are in the dental care business?
                      sigpic

Comment

what is wrong with dentures? my wife has them and i never knew they weren't her real teeth untill the frist night she stayed here, about year in to our relationship.
                        There is nothing wrong with an upper denture as it has the pallet of your upper mouth and upper gum to hold it in place which I have but a lower denture has nothing to hold onto and will rock and roll all over the place and that is why I had lower implants and bridge of teeth and another thing to remember if you are going for new teeth whether bridges or dentures get them made to suit your age with a couple of teeth with inperfections and not totally white as you don`t want people looking at you saying under their breeth there dentures

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          This may sound racist but have any of you noticed how many Indians and Pakastani's that are in the dental care business?
                          They know this is where the money is instead of trolling through sh+t as we do they troll through our hip pockets.

Tony

Comment

Seems they are overpaid for risk vs. reward compared to others. Especially when the majority of the dental industry is now nothing more than cosmetic surgery. Yes I know infections & tooth decay have some extreme stories where it killed someone. So slight it's a joke to discuss.

The majority of it is nothing more than cosmetic surgery.

OLC, you can also check with Dental Schools at a University that might offer the program. They are less expensive, and in-turn, very busy. Don't know if they can handle an extreme case such as yours. If they can they will often do it very cheap or even Pro-Bono for the experience.

Some dentists will even do extreme cases such as yours Pro-Bono because....it's such an extreme case! Then they can show the before & after pictures as a great sales tool for them.

Check it out. Good luck!

P.S. You'll be happier all the way around to get corrections rather than dentures. And let go of the control. Once you do that, no problems.

J.C.

Comment

to drive my fear of this into you guys as i writing this my heart is POUNDING and i am starting to break into a sweat.
                              What you describe is exactly how I feel from the moment I book a plane flight until I actually get off the plane. Imagine booking a flight months in advance. Needless to say, I don't fly any more.

As others have pointed out, see a sedation dentist.

Comment

Working...
                              X