X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoarders... are you one?

Does that show hoarders make you feel guilty?

I was in my basement working on a project a while back when I realized I didn't have room to work. It seems my quest for every convenient tool on the market, and keeping everything I think I might eventually need was hindering my use of said tools and space... so I started to clean house. I never realized how many tools I've accumulated and only used once. The bigger issue though was raw materials such as wood and metal storage. Add to this the number of "loose wrenches, nuts, bolts" and it soon became apparent I had way too much stuff laying around.

I've since cleared out half my basement, I have gotten ride of 6 tool boxes of loose wrenches, sockets, pliers etc. I've scaled everything back to one set of tools. I also cleared out most of my wood stock, anything I haven't had use for in the past two years basically went. This included bolts and nuts, tools, shelving and anything else.

One positive out of the experience though besides being able to use my basement again was I ended up selling alot of the items on kijiji and used the money towards my x4 kit

How long do you guys keep stuff for before you get ride of it? I've noticed some of you posted you keep secondary tools just for the purpose of loaning them out but if you own alot of tools, is it worth the space vs convenience?

Re: Hoarders... are you one?

I think most of us have a bit of hoarder inside. I have way too many and too job specific tools than I need. Cleaning house and making room feels good not only for the reclaimed space but for the mind as well. I hate clutter, plies of papers, mail, clothing, etc. Seems that over the years as I put up more shevles I filled them all. My wife wants to hold onto old paper work and stuff from when our children were young. We currently have three dining room sets and only need one! I got a bad habbit with tools, I like to have spare parts on hand. The chainsaws must have plenty of spare chains, circular saw, spare blades, and so on. I'd like to really clean house and move to the beach, no more tools, machines, supplies, I've had enough! Oh yeah, watching the hoarders show makes me feel sad for them folks. They try to fill their lives with stuff and in the end it robs them of a good life.

Comment

I tend to keep raw materials, nuts, bolts, fittings, etc. with the expectation that some day I'll need them and avoid having to buy it. Unfortunately, my organization leaves a lot to be desired. I picked up 2 large filing drawers that hold a lot of stuff, in hopes of having stuff well organized, but I still cannot find things I *know* I have somewhere!

I don't have the issue with too many tools, or duplicates.

Comment

your bad, you never throw any thing out just just add on, what a matter with you, what kind of hoarder are you?
        yes I have organizable problems my self, and if you do have a big building you will fill it, (I still have some nooks and carnies that are not totally filled,

how in the world can you live with only one set of tools? ever one knows that you need at least one set for each shop and car and truck, one for the generator shed, and one for the tractor and a set in the field truck and the welding truck, and the portable set you carry with you,

your one sick puppy getting rid of tools,
        I think you need to go to Tim Taylors tool rehab center and learn all over again. and even it the tool it broken you can not throw it out, that in the good Tool Book, found in
        Obsolete 3:24, "Tho shall not throw out a broken or obsolete tool, you may try to fix it later in life", AND one of the more important verses found in Tool Crib 4:53 "He Who Dies With the Most Tools Wins", (that is such an importain verse there are some who even print it on caps, cups, tee shirts, and bumper stickers to help you rember your goal in life,

I really think you need help,
        Last edited by BHD; 07-26-2011, 12:41 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

there has never been a tool made that i don't like, though i may not know how to use some tools i can have fun tring to figuer them out............ wait, i said something along the same lines about women once. hummm
          Last edited by oldslowchevy; 07-26-2011, 06:35 PM.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
            there has never been a tool made that i don't like, though i may not know how to use some tools i can have fun tring to figuer them out............ wait, i said something along the same lines about women once. hummm
            Given a choice I'll stick with tools, I've had no luck figuring out women! None at all, maybe if Ridgid could make one and offer the LSA?

Comment

Oh hell no!

I'm the kind of guy that gets rid of crap sooner than saving it. If at any time I ask myself, "I might use this.", chances are, I most likely don't. I would much rather KNOW I don't have something, than play the guessing game of might having it. Much less work, usually just as easy to go get it, and much easier to do without when need be.

Comment

I am and if you touch my stuff I will kill ya'

Comment

Believe it or not, when it comes to women, (And possibly the reason why I'm still single) I know exactly how to figure them out. How do I do it? By knowing exactly what they want:

EVERYTHING

Comment

i plead the 5th.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      and even it the tool it broken you can not throw it out, that in the good Tool Book, found in Obsolete 3:24, "Tho shall not throw out a broken or obsolete tool, you may try to fix it later in life", AND one of the more important verses found in Tool Crib 4:53 "He Who Dies With the Most Tools Wins",

I have discovered I have been hoarding more of the Ridgid 18V tools. Last count was 2 large recip saws, 2 small hand held reciep saws, 2 18V circ saws(Right hand and left hand blade), 1 24V circ saw, 1 x3 impact, 2 fuego impact, 2-X2 hammer drills, 1 x3 hammer drill, 3/8" drill, 2 X3 CFL lights, 1 X4 LED light, 1 x2/x3 LED light, and one hand held light, plus a few other items for a total of 24 18V tools, and 15 18V batteries . I have about 6 of the small tool bags and 2 of the large ones. Yes I do need to get rid of some of these tools. Look for my For sale or trade thread coming soon!

I once found a broken in half 12V drill on the side of the freeway. Repairing it was the cost of a new drill, so I kept it around for spares I did not have tools for. I bought an older X2 kit on craigslist, its hammerdrill had a bad trigger. Low and behold the 12v trigger was compatible with the 18V hammer drill. SCORE!

I do keep stuff, after about 5 years or so if I have not used it, or no longer have whatever it went to any more (car parts for instance) out the door they go. It is hard letting go.

One time I had a hopper for the Homelite (I think) portable texture sprayer, but no gun. I had this thing for years, acquired it from a property I cleaned up. I seen it after several years, decided it had to go. I put it in the trash heap for disposal, and while in the "Guy Section" of the thrift store, I see the gun I need for $5, everything was on sale 50% off! So now I have my $60 texture gun that cost me a whopping $2.50 and 5 years of storage of the hopper! Eat it all you nay sayers.

My GF's family bags on me when they are watching the hoarding shows, I get irritated just watching the shows, the ladies claim because I am a hoarder and am just like so and so featured on the show. I actually get irritated at the idiots attitudes (due to their sickness) on keeping garbage, grocery bags filled with feces, and general filth. My stuff might be disorganized but there is NO garbage just laying around. I try to go home and organize but the ol lady crys and complains she wants me to spend more time with her. I just cant win.

The family however does not bag on me when I they have something broken and I just happen to have something that will fix it, or something that will compliment something they own. It happens alot.

partial battery collection

Recent craigslist acquistion just for the light and new X4 battery.

I had all of my crap in a pile and took a picture, where it went I dont know.... You get the idea...
                      Last edited by masterbeavis; 07-27-2011, 12:27 AM.
                      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I DON'T "hoard"... but then again, I do have difficulty throwing away things that I feel might be of value or useable at some point in the future. And, I do have a tendency to do just that... use up old stuff, modify it for a particular need or project. Still, I have tools that I will probably not use and at some point I'll either give it away or throw it out.

"Purging" has it's moments and it's risks too. I've owned "computers" since before IBM came out with them. I still have two Atari 800's for example and believe it or not, I just dug out the two suitcases that they were packed in and everything still works. I did that because my grandson expressed a like for some of the old arcade games like Missile Command and Astoroids. Well, they still work, as do the machines... but I also found a nice Nuclear Reactor simulator, that is somewhat educational. Hey, you never know.

On the other hand, I tossed my "Hyperion" portable a couple of years ago (nice little "portable" that came out about the time the first Compaq did. But, it was ancient and far behind any real use. I'm always dumping old computer books too, as well as "disk" supplies. Anybody have a need for a hundred or so floppy's?

Somethings I keep and somethings I don't. But I still have a lot of things to purge... or should I leave that junk in my will? ... Naw, that would be nasty!

CWS

Comment

In one of my old trucks I found the programming manual for GW Basic 2.0 Dumpster time it is.

10 trash:throw it away
                          20 goto trash
                          30 end
                          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                          X