sharpening bolt cutters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharpening bolt cutters?

new member here, i apologize ahead of time if this isnt the correct section to post my question in - mods feel free to move it if necessary.

I was curious to know if anyone can recommend a good way to sharpen bolt cutters? I read a few how to guides on the net and they recommend using a mill file, those of you who have done this before, do you have any tips? thanks ahead of time

mike

Re: sharpening bolt cutters?

A dentist nicknamed caligula? Okay doc, welcome to the Forum. The procedure you referred to in this link seems reasonable. There should be an adjustment bolt on the cutters if they have sprung a bit. I used bolt cutters almost everyday at work and rarely had to sharpen them. If whatever you are cutting seems very difficult you may need a larger size bolt cutter. Good luck, Frank.
    How to Sharpen Your Bolt Cutters | eHow.com

Comment

If your jaws are chipped or broke out in a few places I really doubt if one can sharpen them, and for the most part I have not seen any that need sharpening, but I have seen some that needed to be replaced, (like the one I have in the pasture pickup for cutting things, the jaws are chipped and there past sharpening, by the time I would get a new edge on them I would not have enough adjustment to have them cut any more,

I would probably "cheat" and use a sander or a grinder with a sanding disk on it but be careful not to heat it, keep the original angle
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

as long as you're not trying to pull teeth, then i'll help.

bolt cutters get their leverage from the compound action of the hinge assembly. the cutters are more of a crushing action than a true cutting action. too sharp and you'll actuall nick them. most materials are cut by crushing and not by the sharp edge.

a dremel or dental handpiece with a decent carbide burr will easily touch up the edge. but as mentioned, don't make them sharp and don't heat up the metal. also make sure we never walk into your office with those on display

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

thanks for all the replies guys

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            A dentist nicknamed caligula? Okay doc, welcome to the Forum. The procedure you referred to in this link seems reasonable. There should be an adjustment bolt on the cutters if they have sprung a bit. I used bolt cutters almost everyday at work and rarely had to sharpen them. If whatever you are cutting seems very difficult you may need a larger size bolt cutter. Good luck, Frank.
            How to Sharpen Your Bolt Cutters | eHow.com

can you elaborate on the adjustment bolt? where exactly is it on the bolt cutters? I feel like your on the right track and instead of sharpening they need to be adjusted

Comment

there are two basic types,

the two bolts that bolt the Head on to the handle will usually have an arrow on them, and the bolt is not on a straight shank and by turning it it will widen or close the jaws, http://www.jaguartools.com.au/pdfs/hitproductguide.pdf page 6

and there is a second type that has a screw that adjust one of the handles,
              http://65.36.183.19/greenlee/im/IM1352REV02.pdf
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                there are two basic types,

the two bolts that bolt the Head on to the handle will usually have an arrow on them, and the bolt is not on a straight shank and by turning it it will widen or close the jaws, http://www.jaguartools.com.au/pdfs/hitproductguide.pdf page 6

and there is a second type that has a screw that adjust one of the handles,
                http://65.36.183.19/greenlee/im/IM1352REV02.pdf
                There are some very knowledgeable guys here. You are one of them!

Comment

Working...
                X