X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Just My Imagination

I'm trying my best to think positive amid all sorts of personal, family, financial and social issues. Seems like a crazy time for our country with politics and the economy what they are, and then I think what it must have been like for Americans dealing with world wars and The Great Depression.
    Just when I think I have a handle on my concerns, I read this article on the Internet.
    China's military flexes its muscle - USATODAY.com
    I think we on The Forum have discussed this issue a few months ago, but it's not going away.
    How real is the possibility that communist china will strengthen their military and attack us?
    I know they hold a lot of our debt, but why keep us around hoping we will either self destruct or default on our debt when they can just speed things up? Come on guys, tell me it's all in my head.

Re: It's Just My Imagination

More and more I wonder about the red east. I have become a fan of the Fallout series of video games, and its the world in a post nuclear usa where China nuked us. It's kind of depressing to play to be honest, but still interesting. There are a lot of things in the game that fit in to todays headlines some even were in the game before they happened in real life, which is kinda creepy at times. Not that a video game has any weight in the real world, but in all honesty, ignoring the rise of the Chinese and the reckless disregard for our own fiscal responsiblity frightens me. It's like a parent watching a child destroy their world even though you repeatedly tell them the path they are on will destroy them. The child does what they "feel" is right, not what they "know" to be right. Logic is tossed out the window because its easier to feel than think. Some people wonder why I am not enthusiastic about having children, maybe I should just say its not fair to burden that child with a debit that they can most likely never be able to re-pay. I have had it with our political system for what it has become. I am sick of some ivy league "idiot" thinking they know what's best for me and play with my money as if its nothing more than monopoly money. Franky, if its all in your head, we are both in the same nightmare... we might want to start taking night classes to brush up on our Chinese....

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
      More and more I wonder about the red east. I have become a fan of the Fallout series of video games, and its the world in a post nuclear usa where China nuked us. It's kind of depressing to play to be honest, but still interesting. There are a lot of things in the game that fit in to todays headlines some even were in the game before they happened in real life, which is kinda creepy at times. Not that a video game has any weight in the real world, but in all honesty, ignoring the rise of the Chinese and the reckless disregard for our own fiscal responsiblity frightens me. It's like a parent watching a child destroy their world even though you repeatedly tell them the path they are on will destroy them. The child does what they "feel" is right, not what they "know" to be right. Logic is tossed out the window because its easier to feel than think. Some people wonder why I am not enthusiastic about having children, maybe I should just say its not fair to burden that child with a debit that they can most likely never be able to re-pay. I have had it with our political system for what it has become. I am sick of some ivy league "idiot" thinking they know what's best for me and play with my money as if its nothing more than monopoly money. Franky, if its all in your head, we are both in the same nightmare... we might want to start taking night classes to brush up on our Chinese....
      I appreciate your response, but I wanted to comment about having children. I posted at least once or twice how when I told my father my wife and I were planning to have children he seemed upset and said "How can you bring children into this world?". I didn't hesitate a second and told him the same way or better than a lot of folks before me. Please don't let current events or the anticipation of some possible doom prevent you from experiencing every pain and joy life has to offer. You're a thoughtful, responsible guy and would probably make a good Dad. Have your children and be happy to give them a chance at life while at the same time putting some decent people among us! It is reasonable to be concerned with the world around us, but it cannot and should not rob us of a full life. Frank

Comment

Franki,

A great subject, but one that I neither have the time or the patience for. I've attempted to write my thoughts three times now in this past hour and realize it would be "a book" that wouldn't be worth the read. We all have our opinions and that isn't going to change anything. Let me just say that we send jobs there, technology there, money there, we buy products from there and our corporations would prefer to build there and employ there. You and I, like most of us, have no say in any of this. As our jobs are lost and our incomes have become stagnant or non-existant, we the poor and middle-class are forced to buy products from there. And for it all, we send our hatred there too... blaming China for all of our woes. For that, our politicians and our corporations love our stupidity as it keeps the focus off of them.

Our feelings and fears regarding China are very much like what we had for Japan in the 20's and 30's. "Junk", "Slave labor", a "little, inferior people" that have nothing in the way of the great and powerful United States of America.

What we know is that China today is largely because of what we have done, through our business expansion into China and our ever-increasing purchases of cheap goods. Our corporations and our politicians have largely helped them to become giants. Much like we helped Japan in the first half of the 20th Century. They will become powerful and we will then fear them and we will then challenge them for resources and then attempt to impose sanctions with our "might"; and they will become beligerant in thier new power, and they will not bow to our alledged superiority. Then we shall get to sacrifice each other again.

It seems that we do not learn.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          Franki,

A great subject, but one that I neither have the time or the patience for. I've attempted to write my thoughts three times now in this past hour and realize it would be "a book" that wouldn't be worth the read. We all have our opinions and that isn't going to change anything. Let me just say that we send jobs there, technology there, money there, we buy products from there and our corporations would prefer to build there and employ there. You and I, like most of us, have no say in any of this. As our jobs are lost and our incomes have become stagnant or non-existant, we the poor and middle-class are forced to buy products from there. And for it all, we send our hatred there too... blaming China for all of our woes. For that, our politicians and our corporations love our stupidity as it keeps the focus off of them.

Our feelings and fears regarding China are very much like what we had for Japan in the 20's and 30's. "Junk", "Slave labor", a "little, inferior people" that have nothing in the way of the great and powerful United States of America.

What we know is that China today is largely because of what we have done, through our business expansion into China and our ever-increasing purchases of cheap goods. Our corporations and our politicians have largely helped them to become giants. Much like we helped Japan in the first half of the 20th Century. They will become powerful and we will then fear them and we will then challenge them for resources and then attempt to impose sanctions with our "might"; and they will become beligerant in thier new power, and they will not bow to our alledged superiority. Then we shall get to sacrifice each other again.

It seems that we do not learn.

CWS
          Accurate observations CWS, history does repeat itself. I complain about china for the lost jobs, poor quality goods among other things. I multitask my displeasure to cover our politicians What disturbs me most about china is the politics of communism and what appears to be a good game plan on their part. They are not stupid, they know our history of imposing our politics with military force. I doubt china will become a democracy. I believe they may take us out once we treat them as a threat, either to us or our allies. Sure right now we have military might, but how long could we battle against china? How long before our chinese made consumer goods run out and our society grinds to a halt? It's late, I'm tired and maybe that last line was pushing things, maybe?

Comment

Do you think that you are the only ones hurting we in Australia have a two speed enconomy where Western Australia is booming selling iron ore to China and the reat of us are fighting over the scraps and if you work one hour a week you are classified as being fully employed allowing government to say we have 4.9% out of work where it it around 7% which is a lot with our small population where our dollar is $1.10 to the US dollar and rising where we import more and sell less because of our high dollar and high interest rate of 7% and the same problem you have everything is made in China.
            I just wish the US would default on its debts so we can get the coming depression out of the way as watching the US and Europe its like watching a juggler throwing balls into the air and the juggler catching them and wondering when one is going to fall and this has been going on since 2008 and wish it to come to an end.
            As for China their arrogance and thier new found wealth will eventually lead them into a war and it wont be on the ground and I just hope its not in the forseeable future as I don`t want to be around as I don`t wish to survive a nuclear war.

Tony

Comment

we are all doomed i tell ya DOOMED!!!

on a side note though i just saved a bunch of money on my car insurace.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

What makes anyone think that China want's us? America would be impossible for them to rule. Hell, we can't rule ourselves most of the time.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  What makes anyone think that China want's us? America would be impossible for them to rule. Hell, we can't rule ourselves most of the time.
                  I willl shoot them with their own gun. I have a chinese made Mak-90 which is a ak-47 remake. I even have chinese ammo for it. I've ran 1200 rnds through it,never has jammed never FTF. I like eggrolls too. lol

Comment

I sent a letter to GE saying that if they follow through with their plan to move their X-ray division to China I would never buy any thing from GE again and would strongly encourage my friends and family to do the same. No reply yet. I am not expecting one. The CEO of GE is chair of President Obama's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness.
                    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

The United States has (and probably still does) run constant "scenarios" of war with various countries, including China. It used to be simply a part of planning and preparation which is essential for the defense of our nation, our allies, and our mutual interests.

In the 70's and 80's the projected chances of winning a conflict with China greatly diminished in the 2010. That forecast was from over three decades ago and I'm sure that we have changed our chances dramatically. But the question that always sits in my mind is whether such projections also took into account our failing economy, involvement in the two wars, the economic and combat stress scars on our military and the overall deterioration of our society through rising poverty, overwhelming transfer of wealth to the the top 2% or 3% of our rich, and the total economic traitorism of our greedy corporations? Did those projects properly estimate the unbelievable wealth of China and it's willingness to step out as a major military power (which, it really hasn't done YET!).

But China is not without it's problems. Terrible pollution problems, growing wastelands in its north, and corruption everywhere, including within the military. (I've been told that "advancement" within the ranks and especially within the officer corp is all too often on one's family's ability to "pay".

A war with China would have to be extremely quick and deadly and we still hold the nuclear advantage (and that scares most of the world, considering how willingly we demonstrate our power).

But, with those considerations I would think that for some time to come, China and the U.S. will simply compete for international influence and the natural, energy, and food resources that exist. Our indebtedness and the short-sightedness of our approach to that debt is going to greatly advantage China.

But, would China actually want to go head-to-head with us crazy Americans? Most likely NOT. We still represent an enticing market that is important to their growth and they certainly know that they have enough problems within thier own country. Who in their right mind would ever want to add America's insanity to that. Besides, if they really wanted to take on America, all they would have to do is "foreclose" on us. The amount of debt that we ran up in the first decade of this century is a joke on us and a great benefit to China.

CWS

Comment

I'm not scared of China.

Comment

Side track.... Abbott, are you a "fallout" fan, or did you just use an image from the game for your avatar without knowing that is where that image is from?

Comment

I'm a fan. and I like my icon becuase it really doesn't matter what happens...I'm still going to be kicking, spitting and in a good mood. ~thumbs up and a wink here~ mate! Let's eat and have a beer most things are just a small matter anyway

...and I'm still not afraid of China. Without the USA they will have no economy and they know it. Besides a conflict of any serious nature, it doesn't have to be a shooting war, would end or at the very least suspend our treasury payments that service our debt to them and they know it.
                            Last edited by Abbott; 07-28-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

..and besides if their ever is a nuclear exchange with China and it doesn't come to close to where I live, there will be lots of free beer until the rads get me.

Comment

Working...
                              X