X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grout Question for outside mosaic project

I have made a house #s mosaic to hang on my house outside in hot Austin, TX.
    It does freeze here sometimes however, so the temp range can be from low 10s F to over 100 F.

I have done several mosaics for indoors, but this is my first for outside.
    I need some advice on if I should use epoxy grout for this project? Regular grout and just seal it?
    I was told I should remove it if the temperature is expected to go below 32 F regardless of what grout I use.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ab878a174c39a429f546ead27e7004da.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	15225

Re: Grout Question for outside mosaic project

Very nice looking project.

I would call Laticrete and ask them, specifically about their epoxy grouts. They have the residential material (SpectraLock) and also industrial grades that are, I believe, 100% solids. It's good material, but not sure about the low temp performance.

Comment

I live in Maine.
      At our other home I did a mosaic on the top step to the main entry way.
      It sees rain, snow and way too many frozen days all the while people walking on it.

I did it I'm guessing 5yrs ago, and it's holding up just fine, no damage at all.
      I just used normal grout and I don't recall ever even sealing it.

I'll post a pic of it if I get out there in the next few days.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I see tile outside all the time. Temps swing here from over 100 degrees in the summer and below freezing in winter. We are a national leader in rainfall per year also. Use the right stuff and install it correctly and it will work fine.

Comment

Working...
        X