X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What comes after a trillion

There is a thousand dollars and million dollars a billion dollars a trillion dollars but what comes next.??

Tony

Re: What comes after a trillion

a trillion and 1

big job today

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      a trillion and 1

big job today

rick.
      Now come on Rick is it Milltrillion a Quodtrillion a Godzillion and how many zero`s would be needed.

Tony

Comment

Quadrillion IIIRC, and it depends on what country you're in.

Quadrillion may mean either of the two numbers (see long and short scales for more detail):Here's the pecking order if you're interested
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_large_numbers
        Last edited by Bob D.; 07-31-2011, 05:54 AM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Well around here we would just refer to that as a "KaZillion"... but I would suspect that Bob D's answer is the technically correct one. Hey, I can barely comprehend a Million, and then only in relation to the bank accounts of politicians and the salaries corporation executives.

However, from a stickly political point of view, I largely suspect that if we ever reach a "Quadrillion" that will come with "Chinese" being the major language in this country, replacing "Spanish". Us Anglo minorities will probably still cling to some aspects of "English" which will probably still be the the principle language of us coal miners and landfill workers.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
            There is a thousand dollars and million dollars a billion dollars a trillion dollars but what comes next.??

Tony
            Economic ruin?

Comment

Bush thought Brazillion came next.

That's why the economy is in such bad shape now.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thank God the world has been saved from rack and ruin Obama has made a deal where the US will borrow and print more money and keep paying the 250 billion dollars in interest each year on this debt thanks guys for supporting my standard of living.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  Quadrillion IIIRC, and it depends on what country you're in.

Quadrillion may mean either of the two numbers (see long and short scales for more detail):

Here's the pecking order if you're interested
                  Names of large numbers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Thanks for the explaination but it is meaningless and shows the trouble we the world are all in and how we have all lived above our means over the last sixty years they started up a Cosco store where I live and when you walk in and look at the amount of junk there you realise just how wastefull the world has become and what we are doing to nature to produce it and that there will be bugger all left for future generations.

Tony

Comment

A "Googol" amount is up there somewhere. Remember from math class or something.

A visual to help bring the "debt" in perspective.

US debt problem visualized: Debt stacked in 100 dollar bills

J.C.

Comment

The earth is estimated to be 4.6 billion years old.

The universe is estimated to be 13.75 years old.

The projected debt for the USA is 14 trillion dollars

Now someone explain to me just where all that money is because if you gather all of the currency from every nation on the world you can't come close to 14 trillion dollars

14 trillion is not so much a real dollar amount as it is a political football.
                      sigpic

Comment

the rest of the world should operate like costco.

they run a tight ship and everyone starts out pushing shopping carts in the lot.

today was another $350.00 at costco and i only stopped by for a $1.50 hot dog and coke

if they sold plumbing supplies, i would give them all my business.

actually they have the $200.00 bidet seat back in stock.

phoebes birthday is in less than a month and i already bought 1 of her gifts there today.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

they run a tight ship and everyone starts out pushing shopping carts in the lot.

today was another $350.00 at costco and i only stopped by for a $1.50 hot dog and coke

phoebes birthday is in less than a month and i already bought 1 of her gifts there today.

rick.
                          So what did you buy in bulk did you start with a sixty pack of toilet paper and a feezer full of meat so you don`t have to leave your house for a month.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            The earth is estimated to be 4.6 billion years old.

The universe is estimated to be 13.75 years old.

The projected debt for the USA is 14 trillion dollars

Now someone explain to me just where all that money is because if you gather all of the currency from every nation on the world you can't come close to 14 trillion dollars

14 trillion is not so much a real dollar amount as it is a political football.
                            Not sure what the age of the universe has to do with anything, but Federal Gov't debt is not "projected" to be $14T (actually about $14.5T); it *is* that amount -- precisely known since debt is financed by sale of US debt instruments (bills and bonds) that are accounted for.

While I agree that the politicians are using the debt issue for political posturing, the debt is quite factual. Every penny of the debt is a hard money loan (not collateralized) made to the United States Federal Government. Every penny. Someone, some country or some institution (bank or private company) paid for the debt instruments, gets the interest, and expects to see their principal returned.

All currency is money, but not all money is currency. By far most of the money that exists in the world today exists as ledger entries on the books of financial institutions, not as actual physical currency. That's how nearly all banks transactions, including the sale of US treasuries, are made. Huge piles of cash are not airlifted from bank to bank when transactions are made. It used to be ink entries in ledgers; today it is all done as electronic entries. In the United States we recognize Federal Reserve notes as legal currency. The Federal Reserve is a private bank. It is not owned by the United States, however by law the US Gov't has certain control. They control appointment of the Chairman and other key officials, and the operating profits of the bank (which are significant) are turned over to the US Treasury every year.

Even when our Gov't "prints money", it's accounted for as debt. For example, (but not by any means the driver in the debt crisis) the recently-ended QE2 program by the Federal Reserve was not simply a printing of cash. In fact, while we often call it "printing money", very little currency was printed. What happened was that the Federal Reserve bought Treasuries of various duration. These Treasuries went onto the books, and that's what the Fed means when they say that they "expanded their balance sheet". When Bernanke went on 60 minutes, he said that the Fed wasn't "printing money". He was correct - technically. There wasn't much currency printed. However, money WAS created, via ledger entries authorized by the Fed to the securities firms that broker US debt instruments. The Fed didn't have the money needed, on the books or as real currency, to actually pay for the Treasuries it bought. However, it has, unbelievably, the authority to create that money out of thin air. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, however money is created is of little matter. The money supply increases, and the value of all the money decreases in value. Not so good for us... and also why the global community, particularly those that hold these debt bonds, are not very happy with US Federal Reserve policy.

So.... the debt is very, very real.

Comment

rick.
                              I agree. Costco is a great company with a very interesting business model.

Many people don't quite realize how Costco works. They pass huge amounts of goods through, all with very limited markups. If you study their financial statements, it turns out that their earnings from operations more or less cover the cost of goods sold and overhead. Costco's profits are roughly equal to the revenue they derive from annual membership dues. Since they depend on membership renewals, Costco is very sensitive to keeping customers happy - and they do a great job.

Comment

Working...
                              X