Clear All

• Where is the Share Market going this time

How low can it go

Tony

Re: Where is the Share Market going this time

Originally posted by AFM View Post
    How low can it go

Tony
    Zero. (Not that I expect it to go there, but it can go there.)

Comment

Fortunately, I moved my 401K account a couple of weeks ago. I'm still loosing, but only about a 10th of what I would have lost in these last couple of days.

Much of the problem today (IMHO), is that most everybody has direct access to the market and therefore we get these wild swings on even the slightest of economic news. It used to be that one put their investment in the market through a broker and would rarely "take a look". Even then, they'd discuss it with thier broker or investment advisor and "moves" would proceed from there... usually just holding the course for a bit longer.

Today it seems like the largest majority of investors have their fingers directly on the keys and their heads tuned to even the slightest whisper of a fault. That results in very quick trigger pulls and these massive swings. While I won't go so far as saying it is all imaginary, it is to a great extend "reactionary" to one's imagined or perceived outlook "today". It then turns that "imagination" into reality.

Usually I just stay the course, but I've only been in market investments since my retirement when I had to rollover my IRA. I managed to avoid the massive plunge in 2008 and it didn't take too much imagination to see that our Congress was dysfuntional enough that we were heading for disaster at the end of July. Still I loose, as we all do. Hopefully people will not continue their panic (but I can only pray).

CWS

Comment

A few years ago I had invested about 50k in the market, a few days ago it was worth 8k. I think there was and is a lot of wrong doing, ceo's being paid outrageous salaries and exit packages for doing nothing, day traders squeezing out money on a slight upturn. I'm very sorry I ever invested in the market, and I feel worse for the folks who listened to the so called experts and lost their life savings. I still think some things should not be traded such as vital commodities. Our economy is too fragile as it is to be toyed with by day traders.

Comment

Be afraid, be very afraid

Consumer confidence ..................in the toilet
          Investor Confidence .....................in the toilet
          World wide economy ....................in the toilet

Invest in guns and ammunition, the revolution is coming
          sigpic

Comment

America's credit rating just got lowered for the first time in history. We are in uncharted territory. I think we are on the verge of something bad.

Comment

I never believed in investing, and I'm thankful that I've never lost a dime.

I'll work till the day I drop, and quite frankly I'm absolutely at peace with that decision.

Guns and ammunition are well stocked around here, as money will be absolutely worthless if god forbid we ever hit those times.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Be afraid, be very afraid

Consumer confidence ..................in the toilet
                Investor Confidence .....................in the toilet
                World wide economy ....................in the toilet

Invest in guns and ammunition, the revolution is coming
                Guns and ammunition thats an interesting concept do they trade them on the stock exchange do they keep you warm at night and cool in summer and when you run out of ammunition what do you do then.

Tony

Comment

Tony, you're supposed to save the last bullet for yourself. That's the way it works in the movies!

Comment

When the brass runs out it's time to go with black powder.

The first to feel the effects of worthless money will be the elderly, the poor and those on welfare. With no money to buy food and water the inner city folks will riot first and begin to leave the city in search of food. They will come armed with whatever they can get their hands on. The police, army and national guard will put up a weak front because their resources will run out and they too have families to feed.
                    sigpic

Comment

5.56 is too expensive and hard to get, I'll go with 30/30, 30/06, .45, 9mm, 357, 38 and 12 ga. 22's require a head shot or you just piss them off. In black powder I be partial to 50 cal for my Hawken and .45 for the Colt
                      sigpic

Comment

Being shot with a .22 in the winter time isn't doing anything, unless you have a head shot.

As bad as the economy has been since the Community organizer took office, the one thing that didn't suffer, was guns and ammo! Because of the community organizer, gun dealers have been raking in the cash over the last 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          Tony, you're supposed to save the last bullet for yourself. That's the way it works in the movies!
                          Frank if I haven`t mentioned this before I am a coward and couldn`t possibly shoot myself

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                            Frank if I haven`t mentioned this before I am a coward and couldn`t possibly shoot myself

Tony
                            You're not alone Tony. I've given taking a life plenty of thought and so far it's not in me.

Comment

Treasuries are down, which is opposite of what you would expect from the S&P downgrade. Large money influx to treasuries is from Eurozone, in response to their recent Spanish & Italian debt issues that point out that the wheels are coming off the car in Europe. This makes makes solvency of the the US Gov't look good by comparison, irrespective of S&P.

Gold is way up. Same rationale. Lots of money looking for a safe haven. I doubt if Gold can sustain 1700+ in the short term but ultimately it will go much higher.

US stocks are having a rough day. Stock traders tend to be the public, and they're panicking. Between the panick and the automated stop-loss orders, market is down but far from crashed at this point. I don't see today's stock market as the end of the world.

Stocks often make a big move one way or the other during the last hour of trading. Hard to tell which direction.

Fannie and Freddie got a credit downgrade this morning. No real surprise, as their problems are well-known. The Fed will continue to maintain artificial low interest rates so as to protect the housing market from collapse. They're doing this not out of concern for homeowners, but to protect the balance sheet of banks. Another drop in housing prices, which could potentially be worse that 2008, would cause more severe bank failures, deflate the money supply, and that would really be bad for the citizens. On the other hand, holding interest low expands the money supply thus devalues the dollar. So there is no winner in this except the banks, who are being protected by the Fed. The citizens, as always, take it in the shorts.

Keep in mind that S&P didn't create the problem, they are reporting on what has already happened. Except that there is no way I would rate the Gov't as AA+. That is a gift. And, S&P knows it. They are threatening another downgrade, if Congress doesn't act, which means that they know that AA+ is too generous. S&P told Congress how to avoid downgrade, and BOTH Repubs and Dems didn't do diddley. Surprise, surprise. Being in denial seems to be a common problem in Washington. Investors will always be the first to wake up (money is a strong motivator) and we're starting to see that.

IMO, the root of the issue remains very simple and rooted in two causes, neither of which is being addressed at all: (1) 40 consecutive years of negative trade balance; and (2) an arrogant and irresponsible government that thinks it's monopoly money. Our Gov't's creation of a very unfriendly climate for business relative to the global competition and the Consumer's love of cheap imports have led to the tank in the US starting to run dry. The "service economy" is a delusion. In a competitive global economy, you have to manufacture and export at least as much as you import. We don't do that. Politicians aren't making smart decisions, they are making promises - all of which cost money that the Country doesn't have. All the Gov't nonsense that dances around this just wastes precious time.

Comment

Working...
                              X