X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon strike

So Verizon's union employees have walked out. I couldn't help but shake my head in disbelief that such behavior still goes on.

I found this quote from CNN amazing:

"Verizon is not General Motors or Ford," CWA spokesman Bob Master told CNN. "This is a company that has made billions upon billions of dollars.
    Being a vendor to Verizon and seeing entire Verizon buildings closed down, seas of cubicles with like 5 people on the floor, this guy is so far off in la-la land it's unbelievable.

I'm sure VZ's new CEO won't back down either.

The union guy was banging on about protecting his members' middle class quality of life. He needs to realize that middle class incomes go along with middle class responsibilities. Like not going on strike!

I'm sure others here may have differing views, so let's hear 'em...

Re: Verizon strike

With pleasure! I'm a verizon retiree, and if you understood what was happening you would know the strike was necessary. Verizon is not the postal service, they made billions as opposed to losing money. I'm opposed to any concessions at all, as a matter of fact I think the givebacks have fueled our shrinking economy. Workers should demand higher wages and better benefits because they are not the problem. The problem is the loss of tens of thousands of tax paying businesses that provided tens of millions of Americans with jobs. You can thank shortsighted politicians and corporate America because without a strong consumer base they have no market.

Show me where verizon is hurting with their ceo making over twenty million dollars? He is worth every dime of that money and so is the Union verizon worker who supports his city, state and county through taxes. The same worker who supports his communtiy with every purchase he makes.
    When you want to shake your head in disbelief, direct that sentiment towards the ceo's who ruined their companies and outsourced jobs, the politicians who refused to secure our borders from illegals who burden the working man, the politicians who borrowed and borrowed adding to the 15 trillion dollar debt and our current economic nightmare. Say a prayer for the Union worker, the American worker who is here legally, supporting his country and community. I will say a prayer for those who just don't see the wrong where it lies. Frank

Comment

un·ion (yoon-yuhn)
      noun
      1. Legalized domestic terrorism

Yeah, that's not what's in the dictionary.
      But it's how I define unions.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think it demonstrates your lack of knowledge. Unions paved the road for more humane working conditions in this country. They raised the standard of living of both their own members and others who did not belong to Unions. I'm sure there are those yourself included who would like to see Unions outlawed, if you don't get your way here there's always communist china.

Comment

I possess marketable job skills, I'm highly regarded in my field, and I have a strong work ethic.
          Therefore, I have no use for unions.

Comment

You are not alone, but there are tens of thousands of folks who do have the use for Unions and even more who have Unions to thank for their standard of living. I suggest you learn the history of Unions in your country so that you can better understand their importance. They separate us from the most brutal regimes that wish to crush everything the USA represents. Personally I am sickened by such small minded disrespect. I once thanked you for sharing your expertise, I had no idea how limited you are when it comes to freedom. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              You are entitled to your opinion...
              As are you.

Comment

Too bad the CEO of Verizon cant walk in and FIRE every last one of those guys on strike. I'm sure plenty of people would love to have their jobs.

Comment

My good buddy is on the picket line for Verizon right now. I was teasing him this morning through text messages, cause he's against union's but is employed by one.

My buddy is an operator in customer service (4 years now) who is paid a base salary of $80,000 to answer the phone and help with complaints, trouble shooting etc. With overtime (he gets as much overtime as he wants) he's about $100,000 a year AND pays nothing towards his healthcare. I don't know anything about his pension so I can't comment on that.

That guy who comes to your house and hooks up your fios...is about $100,000 a year as well. My buddy tried to get in there, but there have been layoff's recently in that department.

My question would be, how many unemployed people around the country would love to work for Verizon? How many of them would complain with that compensation package?

Something is grossly wrong in this country, if you can't raise a family off of $80 - $100k a year.

But during my razzing him this morning, he sent me this picture from the rally in Philadelphia today. Please take notice to the BIG inflatable RAT in the picture...typical Union rhetoric!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ignorance is bliss, so those of you who choose to behave in this manner must be very happy. I think accepting less for the same work is plain stupid, but maybe it makes sense to some of you guys? Here is what is really happening. I won't comment further, you know what they say about arguing with, you know.

“Verizon workers are waiting for management to demonstrate that it’s ready to bargain. In fact, we’re looking for Verizon to stop canceling bargaining sessions that have been scheduled.

Saturday night: session canceled by Verizon
                    Sunday morning session: canceled by Verizon
                    Sunday afternoon session: canceled by Verizon
                    Today: Workers are waiting now to see what, if anything, comes from the session scheduled for later this morning.
                    Verizon employees have been waiting since June 22 for management to bargain at all. Even at contract expiration, Verizon continued to demand $1 billion in concessions per year. That’s $20,000 for every worker. That demand is coming from a $100 billion company, where the top five executives got compensation of $258 million over the past four years.

Verizon’s concession demands would strip away the middle class standard of living that workers have gained through bargaining over the past 50 years. Verizon is following the Wisconsin playbook and it’s wrong.”

CWA News

Comment

We know Frank...it's all hate speech and ignorance in your eyes.

But in the real world, some people have a problem with people crying "foul" when they are making close to $100,000 a year, and pay nothing towards their healthcare, and killer pensions.

And they are crying poor mouth on the streets with their fists raised in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        Verizon’s concession demands would strip away the middle class standard of living that workers have gained through bargaining over the past 50 years.
                        As opposed to having actually earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                          un·ion (yoon-yuhn)
                          noun

Yeah, that's not what's in the dictionary.
                          But it's how I define unions.

CEOs= Legalized domestic terrorism

Comment

Well you know the good old Union boys, anyone who disagrees with them is undereducated or to stupid to understand their point of view. Now that reminds me of a certain political parties attitude...you know the one's that kiss the Union's asses to get their funding. They are just so full of themselves it sometimes makes a normal person want to puke, then kind of feel sorry for them...which of course shows a weakness they can then try to exploit.

Comment

There was a time where the argument could be made that the Union were needed to improved working conditions for their workers. However, those days are long gone. Today we have labor laws and OSHA to protect employees. In many cases what we have left is many Unions who are just plain bullies. The idea that the salary of a CEO or the profitability of a Corporation should be directly related to the compensation of employees is just plain silly. The compensation of employees should be directly related to the quality and skill of work required to complete the task at hand. There is a reason Unions are afraid of Open Shops.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X