X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seal Team 6

So in Somalia we had a Blackhawk shot down with a few guys in it.So we know there is a danger.

Who was the *** who decides he wants to put 30 I repeat...30...on a plane(ch46).Typicaly I have seen 5-9 complete missions.Or are they watering the division down like Americans do with everything else.

Why were they not in seahakwks.would have cut the loss into a third.

Were they supposed to be out of range of RPG.Was it even an RPG or was it shoulder fired guided.

Bigger than anything is the allowed media.This is a heavy cost.
    Largest moral booster since 911 as far as taliban are looking at it.

Heavenly father have grace upon them and their families.
    Last edited by drtyhands; 08-08-2011, 10:03 PM.

Re: Seal Team 6

It was a horrible loss that killed 1% of the Special Ops Force in Afghanistan in a split second. The CH46 is the helicopter of choice for a reason. There was a group of Rangers under attack which need immediate help. It is a lot harder to land three helicopters than one. The Special Ops Forces did their job and were on their way back to base when they were hit. They were from Jaysen's base so he is having a really hard time with the loss. I'm afraid this is just the start of what's to come. Obama is pulling troops out while insurgent attacks are up 50%. His plan is to bring the troops home but leave the Special Ops Forces behind in the new Wild West of the Middle East. I sure hope this isn't all about votes for 2012.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

IMO, whoever made the decision to have the guys on a chinook instead of a Blackhawk should resign.

We definitely have a black eye over this one.

The White House and Hollywood are working on a movie to be aired next October before the election to show how much of a warrior Obama is by getting Osama. The white house wants the voter to forget all about the mess we are in in this country, and focus solely on this.

WH Working with Hollywood to Release Obama Warrior Movie Month Before Election - President Obama - Fox Nation

Comment

Utah,
        I hear what you are saying and have no lack of respect for it.Unfortunately it does not curb my point of view at this moment.
        I'm not convinced Seahawks/Blackhawks couldn't have been used.
        It is a military man's position to do or die.Insubordination causes disention and will not be tolerated.I understand.

Still,when the powers that be do not stay sharp and become complacent or lose focus and mistakes start happening on an unnaceptable level things need attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          IMO, whoever made the decision to have the guys on a chinook instead of a Blackhawk should resign.

We definitely have a black eye over this one.

The White House and Hollywood are working on a movie to be aired next October before the election to show how much of a warrior Obama is by getting Osama. The white house wants the voter to forget all about the mess we are in in this country, and focus solely on this.

WH Working with Hollywood to Release Obama Warrior Movie Month Before Election - President Obama - Fox Nation
          Thats what I cannot understand why would you fly your best in a chinook which is a flying bulls eye with a large sign on it come shoot it down we carn`t make it easier for you.

Tony

Comment

This is just unfortunante but the last thing the public needs to do is second guess and cherry pick from the sidelines. Trust those guys, they always come out ahead in the end.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

A young man who spent some time growing up in our home is a Marine pilot. His Chinook was shot down behind enemy lines early on in the Afghanistan war but figured out how to attach a shipping pallet to his skids to make it back to base. Today he is a Major and one of the top guys in the Osprey program. His story was featured during one of the Super Bowls years ago.

My son Jaysen is a Major in the Army and an Apache pilot. He is currently stationed in Afghanistan at the base where the Chinook was from. He is the Operation Officer in Charge and I guarantee his Apaches were there to provide support. None of us know the conditions on the ground and who made what call. What is clear is they are all heros serving their Country as they were trained to.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I don't think anyone questions if they were heroes or not, and if they do they are idiots.

However, when you lose 10% of a SEAL Team in 1 blow, questions need to be answered as to "why" this happened to our Elite Force.

This is the first time in SEAL history that they lost that many men in 1 swoop.

Why?

Their families are certainly going to want answers, and I don't blame them. I don't believe everything I hear from our government, and to use a perfect example I'll use the Pat Tillman story.
                Last edited by Flux; 08-09-2011, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Can't have the enlisted boy's families expressing doubt.
                  That might cause the brass to pay attention.
                  Sure we win
                  We win by Soaking the place with materials,tech and training.we have great resources.This was a waste
                  America=Waste too many times

Why don't you go walk the preident down mainstreet Afg with a straw and a couple spitballs

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    I don't think anyone questions if they were heroes or not, and if they do they are idiots.

However, when you lose 10% of a SEAL Team in 1 blow, questions need to be answered as to "why" this happened to our Elite Force.

This is the first time in SEAL history that they lost that many men in 1 swoop.

Why?

Their families are certainly going to want answers, and I don't blame them. I don't believe everything I hear from our government, and to use a perfect example I'll use the Pat Tillman story.
                    I think the whole country should mourn this loss, and question the circumstances of the incident. I would like to know if the insurgents are becoming better armed with rpg's? I am mad that we are still fighting with one hand behind our back! The US gov't seems to be fighting a politically correct war by refusing to go after the bastards supplying the insurgents! Why can't we hit iran? How many more brave young Americans must die or be wounded because the source of the supplies is off limits?

Comment

The Chinook was the best platform for the mission becuase of the altitude where the mission took place. The Chinook's rotors are able to operate at higher altitudes then most of the other helicopters in the Armies fleet. The Apache gunships and the Blackhawks couldn't get up there.
                      Last edited by Abbott; 08-09-2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Apache service cieling=21,000ft.min.load.
                        Blackhawk=19,000
                        13,000 ft. ave.load of armaments or troops?

I'm not an engineer...But.

I do not want to drag this out due to the sensitivity of the loss.

Comment

In a perfect world service ceilings are all that would have to be dealt with. There is a lot more to the story then what the books say in perfect conditions when compared to wartime conditions, aircraft conditions, mission conditions and so on. Helicopters abilities drop real fast when conditions are not perfect. None of us know what the mission conditions were and what aircraft service and maintenance abilities were at the time. We also have no idea what equipment was available that fit the time frame of the mission. The Chinook is a workhorse and is often chosen due to its unique ability to operate in adverse conditions. I don't think second guessing the commanders on site has much relevance to anything at all when it comes to missions in Afghanistan.

Anyway its a tough situation and those guys were doing their jobs and are now casualties of war.

RIP
                          Last edited by Abbott; 08-09-2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Here is a question...

Is anyone here thinking about going to one of these Soldiers funeral's to pay them respect? (if one is in your area)

1 Seal and 1 Ranger that died is from our area.

I'm thinking about going to one of them if I can swing it.

Comment

The ROEs those guys have to operate under are doing a good job of getting them killed.

I was wondering myself why SOG was not used for the aircraft deployment and the RA was but in wartime (as in any other time really) we have no idea what the conditions are that they are operating under. I have personally seen a helicopter that was rated for full fuel and ammo load plus ten men and their equipment unable to lift off with more then 3 men on board.

All of our service people over there are under a tremendous amount of stress not only from the enemy but from our own ROEs (Rules of Engagement) that it is very easy to get ones self in trouble while getting permission to do much of anything. In Iraq they were sending Lawyers out on patrols at the platoon level to aid the commanders on what orders they could and could not give.

I guess we will get a few more details as to what happened and what didn't happen but as usual we will never know accurately...but I guess it really doesn't matter what we know anyway.

RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X