Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unsafe Drivers

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    I used to race my superbike('82 GS-1100e) through the local mountains in the early-mid eighties.Untouchable in town.More like a uni-cycle.It was only god that kept me out of harms way.
    Sold both my KX-250's bout ten years ago as well.
    Times have changed.
    I look back at the way I drove as a young kid and realize now what an a$$ I was, as I had no regard for human life by my actions. I crashed 2 Mustangs, and the 3rd has been sitting in my dad's garage (pristine condition) for 12 years with only 9,000 miles on it. I'm afraid of that 3rd time and it won't be a charm.

Comment

I drive faster than the "limit" but only about eight miles over it. I pass a lot of cars on the highway and yet get passed too!

In my youth I used to drive crazily, and with my first new car (a 65' "beatle") I pretty much drove with my foot to the floor. But that thing would only top out at about 75, unless you were going down a really steep hill. But still, I got labelled by a friend as "the Kamakaze Kid". Perhaps that was because I didn't slow down when a car pulled in front of us one day. I jokingly explained to my frightened passenger that with those four drum brakes, we'd most likely just hit someone if they pulled out like that, in which case we'd definitely die (heck, the front wheels were literally "under foot" and the gas tank was sitting practically in our lap). I explained that with that gas tank, about the best we could hope for, was to have a good aim and hopefully take the offending drive with us! VW Beatle drivers are crazy, and at 19 I was pretty much "committable".

(But, with 93,000 miles on that car in just three years, I never got in an accident and I was never ticketed and was pulled-over only once.)

I started driving when I was 17 and I have always loved to drive. I do drive "aggesively" but not to the extent that I exceed the speed limit beyond what I previously described. The thing that I don't do, is anything but "drive" when I'm behind the wheel. I don't listen to the radio or eat or drink! I have a Ham Radio license, but my "mobile" is kept in an emergency pack, and like my cell phone, it isn't turned on when I'm rolling. For me, the responsibility and all the focus is on driving the car. Likewise, I keep it in good repair with a "walk around" to check the tires everytime I get behind the wheel. My oil gets checked every week, along with the tire pressure and I "change" every 3,000 miles and have a safety check at the same time (brakes, wipers, lights, undercarriage, etc.)

I've been in two serious accidents and both were completely unavoidable. I've also gotten a couple of speeding tickets with the last one being in 1976. I deserved those, as I clearly didn't see the radar and if I had been paying proper attention, I should have. Both were for exceeding the limit by about 15 mph.

This past spring, I was passing a tractor trailor on the way to Binghamton and the SOB suddenly pulled into the passing lane. I was just about next to the tractor's rear wheels when I see him move over. I went into the left shoulder of the lane, and immediately excellerated, knowing that I could get away from him faster than I could brake in with two wheels in the gravel. After getting in front of him he just seemed to want to chase me and about ten miles further, I decided to just let him go by, as my speed was bordering "ticket territory". But when the prick got up beside me, he immediately moved to the right. I guess I'm stupid, because I just had given him the benefit of the doubt and figured the first incident was him simply not seeing me. But I was still wary and seeing his attempt to put me off the road, I hit brakes and was quickly and safely behind him and had my wife writing down his license number and ID from his cab.

I have no idea what prompted that driver to do that as he was well out in front of me, and I was maintaining my usual "73" on cruise control as I approached him for the first time. I always signal when changing lanes and make sure that I am well over in the passing lane by 50 yards or so behind the vehicle that I am approaching. Fortunately, I make it a habit of paying close attention to any vehicle (and driver) that is immediately next to me. In this case, I'm pretty sure it saved both my wife and I from serious injury.

For the rest of that trip I maintained a hundred yards or so, trailing this character and it wasn't until I was within five miles of Binghamton that I finally spotted a trooper. By that time I had the guy's license, company, and description of his trailer. The trooper took off after him, but I don't know what happened after that.

In all my years of driving and hundreds of trips between these two cities, this was the only incident like this that I've ever encountered. I don't know if the guy thought I was someone else or he just doesn't like Dodge vans, but he scared me in that quick instant.

CWS

Comment

Like how does one enforce the cell phone law or "texting".
        That's pretty easy. I watch people drive right by police cruisers who don't even blink an eye at such behavior.
        I think they could create "cell cams" that could catch people driving and talking. They might be placed at stop lights or positioned along the road.
        People can't tell if they are going 65 or 85?? WTF, if they had paid attention in school they would be able to read the speedometer and the signs along the side of the road, then they would know that they are speeding.

Many years ago there was in development a system that was to be implemented on the Interstate system that would control vehicle speeds. They would use transmitters every so often along the road that would send out a signal which would set the maximum speed of the vehicle which would be received by the car or truck and this would act as a upper limit no matter how much pedal you gave it. The signal would match the speed limit posted for the stretch of road +5 mph. The argument was made that limiting the max speed of a vehicle might create a condition where by the driver would not have available to them the additional power and speed to avoid an accident/collision with another vehicle. I can see the point but doesn't hold water with me.

This was back in the time when the autopilot vehicles were being proposed. The ones where you get on the interstate and the computer takes over controlling speed, braking, and steering, all controlled by wires buried in the roadway under the vehicle. Another one of those old PopSci looks into the future that has never materialized.

But I think one thing that would help though I would not like it nor would anyone else is to have to retake the driving test every 5 or 6 years, along with an eye exam and hearing test. This would ensure people know the rules of the road, and that their senses are still acute enough to operate a motor vehicle. And when the person reaches an advanced age of say 65, 70, or maybe 75, then the test frequency should be every 2 or 3 years.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 08-13-2011, 06:44 AM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I better be safe while driving. I'm going to play with THIS little GI Joe toy soon enough.

Comment

Also, I couldn't help myself from posting this little video:

Anti-boredom campaign - YouTube

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
              I better be safe while driving. I'm going to play with THIS little GI Joe toy soon enough.

awwwwwww i want one
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I have thought of getting bumper stickers made up which would prompt people to honk
                if they see someone driving and talking with a cell phone to their ear.

Imagine how noisy the roads would be.

Also, the person on the other end, having seen one of those bumper stickers at one time
                or another while they themselves were driving, would then know the person they are
                talking to was talking while driving.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  I have thought of getting bumper stickers made up which would prompt people to honk
                  if they see someone driving and talking with a cell phone to their ear.

Imagine how noisy the roads would be.

Also, the person on the other end, having seen one of those bumper stickers at one time
                  or another while they themselves were driving, would then know the person they are
                  talking to was talking while driving.
                  but what do you do when the person on the phone is a cop? this is a quite common sight in this area (east tennessee)
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

NJ law exempts (or used to) our police and other public service jobs from the law here.
                    I don't know why they can't use hands free like everyone else.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      That's pretty easy. I watch people drive right by police cruisers who don't even blink an eye at such behavior.
                      I think they could create "cell cams" that could catch people driving and talking. They might be placed at stop lights or positioned along the road.
                      People can't tell if they are going 65 or 85?? WTF, if they had paid attention in school they would be able to read the speedometer and the signs along the side of the road, then they would know that they are speeding.

Many years ago there was in development a system that was to be implemented on the Interstate system that would control vehicle speeds.
                      [snip]

But I think one thing that would help though I would not like it nor would anyone else is to have to retake the driving test every 5 or 6 years, along with an eye exam and hearing test. This would ensure people know the rules of the road, and that their senses are still acute enough to operate a motor vehicle. And when the person reaches an advanced age of say 65, 70, or maybe 75, then the test frequency should be every 2 or 3 years.
                      They have technology like this, and it is employed in Europe, its called the average speed cam. You get to the second camera too quickly, you are given a ticket.

My landlady is 75 years old and lives out in the country, no family, no support, nothing. She had a stroke 4 years ago, which took half of her vision. She can see straight ahead and to the left(still has peripheral vision) but nothing to the right unless she turned her head and looked. I can stand in front of her and side step, she will say "Where did you go?" She got lucky, she talked the doctor into not submitting the report to the DMV about her eyesight, when she does get caught, she will continue to drive till her car gets taken away. She argues that people with one eye essentially has the same problem she does.... I cringe and pray for her safety, and MINE!
                      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

You need two good eyes for depth perception also called stereoscopic vision. Your landlady is inconsiderate and I pray she does not hurt or kill anyone in her path. Her doctor should share in any damage she does. Frank

Comment

I told her that her doctor should be slapped for not doing her job, but her loosing her license essentially would ruin her life as she knows it.

How does a person with just one eye have their stereoscopic vision, and still safely drive?

(or can they drive still?)

Comment

many people who blind in one eye have a drivers license.
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                              I told her that her doctor should be slapped for not doing her job, but her loosing her license essentially would ruin her life as she knows it.

How does a person with just one eye have their stereoscopic vision, and still safely drive?

(or can they drive still?)
                              I can appreciate how devistating it must be for seniors to lose their license and independence but the alternative is to have dangerous drivers on the road. There may be plenty of folks who drive with sight in just one eye but they cannot perceive depth. You need two good eyes to judge depth and ther are simple tests to prove that fact. She should not be driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                                I can appreciate how devistating it must be for seniors to lose their license and independence but the alternative is to have dangerous drivers on the road. There may be plenty of folks who drive with sight in just one eye but they cannot perceive depth. You need two good eyes to judge depth and ther are simple tests to prove that fact. She should not be driving.

I agree with you, but no matter what you do, there are sighted drivers out there that are way worse than she is. I am not trying to justify her still driving, but she drives alot more carefully than 9/10th of the people I see on the road. Young kids are 90% more dangerous than most seniors are, we should take their licenses away as well right?

Comment

Working...
                                X